Old September 4th 04, 06:48 AM
Stereophile22

car. Why would you have one IN YOUR CAR

to move from one state to another. which I now plan to do after what my state
just pulled.

While moving my posessions from one state to another, I would of course, happen
to have my scanner in my car also, until I get to my new residence in my new
state.

whenever I happen to move to a different state.

Old September 4th 04, 06:57 AM
Stereophile22

But not NOAA weather radio at 162.5mHz.

NO\AA weather radio isn't any good anyways. During a recent "weather emegency"
here, which all of the tv stations that had news departments, reported on as
soon as happened, you wouldn't even know there was any weather emergency by
listening to NOAA.

I listenedto both during that time. NOAA was four hours behind, still playing
the weather from before the "weather emegency" with no warning about it .

while the tv stations all told about it.

and after the "eather emergency" was over, NOAA was still playing the weather
report from hours before the "weather emergency" ever happened.

I thought NOAA was the preferred weather in a weather emergency. But now I know
better.

During a "weather emergency", NOAA didn't mention it at all, while all the tv
stations did.

Therefore, I now know that the tv stations are preferrable for information
regarding the weather rather than NOAA.

eapecially in a "weather emergency".

Old September 4th 04, 01:11 PM
PowerHouse Communications

"Stereophile22" wrote in message

NO\AA weather radio isn't any good anyways. During a recent "weather

emegency"
here, which all of the tv stations that had news departments, reported on

as
soon as happened, you wouldn't even know there was any weather emergency

by
listening to NOAA.

I listenedto both during that time. NOAA was four hours behind, still

playing
the weather from before the "weather emegency" with no warning about it .

while the tv stations all told about it.

Apparently you must be tuned in to the wrong frequency or have the wrong
SAME codes set...

Where do you think those weather alerts on your TV come from? Why, NOAA of
course! At least that's the way it works around here... NOAA alerts the TV
and Radio stations who then relay it to the public...

ONLY NOAA CAN ISSUE WEATHER WATCHES AND WARNINGS, no one else!

Old September 4th 04, 01:16 PM
PowerHouse Communications

wrote in message

Anyone care to muse on what it might be that the cops don't
want you to hear?

Maybe they don't want to attract people to places where police
misconduct might be occurring while it's in progress. After all, if
you're within a few blocks in yout car, you might just happen to drive
by with a camera running.

Not an uncommon thing here in my neck of Michigan. The state police are
most guilty for that, but don't even think the local and county are
immune... Around here its' one big bundle of misconduct; throughout al the
forces, the local courts, Prosecuting Attorney, the lawyers, you name it...
All a bunch of crooks! Hell, the head county judge is coke addict for gods
sake! (NOT THE BEVERAGE!)

Old September 4th 04, 03:02 PM
ScanMan

A few years ago someone taped LAPD cops on their car-to-car frequencies
using racial slurs and deragotory comments aimed at minorities which
resulted in disciplinary actions against the offending officers. I would
imagine that they would be rather apprehensive and somewhat hostile to the
average scanner enthusiast and regard us in the same vein as video
vigilantes.

Old September 4th 04, 03:05 PM
ScanMan

The best up-to-date news for weather is your local amateur radio 2m-440
SkyWarn repeater. Local TV news stations monitor those frequncies as well as
NOAA alerts, but with SkyWarn you listen to the hams describe weather at
their various locations and you can track any storm cell right to your
backyard when monitoring their transmissions - very handy in bad weather
conditions

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

"Stereophile22" wrote in message

NO\AA weather radio isn't any good anyways. During a recent "weather

emegency"
here, which all of the tv stations that had news departments, reported

on
as
soon as happened, you wouldn't even know there was any weather emergency

by
listening to NOAA.

I listenedto both during that time. NOAA was four hours behind, still

playing
the weather from before the "weather emegency" with no warning about it

..

Old September 6th 04, 12:38 AM
Buzzygirl

"Russ" wrote in message
First of all, there are only three kinds of people to a cop. Cops,
cop's families and suspects. Second, never ask a cop about the law.
They don't know dick about it. If they did, they'd be lawyers.

True. Which is why even a ham should print out and carry a copy of their
states' statutes regarding scanners if they live in a state like Minnesota;
i.e. where only hams can have scanners in their cars (or if you've gotten a
"special permit" from the state to have one in your car). Even though I
don't have a scanner in my car, many mobile amateur radios have extended
coverage that can pick up the police bands in the 150 MHz range, which makes
them "scanners". I printed out a copy of the Minnesota state statute and a
copy of my amateur radio license and I keep them in my glove compartment,
just in case I ever get pulled over and a cop notices my 2 meter radio. The
statute's very clear as to who can and cannot have a "scanner" in their car
in Minnesota.

Jackie

Old September 6th 04, 06:42 AM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:38:34 GMT, "Buzzygirl"
wrote:

"Russ" wrote in message
.. .
First of all, there are only three kinds of people to a cop. Cops,
cop's families and suspects. Second, never ask a cop about the law.
They don't know dick about it. If they did, they'd be lawyers.

True. Which is why even a ham should print out and carry a copy of their
states' statutes regarding scanners if they live in a state like Minnesota;
i.e. where only hams can have scanners in their cars (or if you've gotten a
"special permit" from the state to have one in your car). Even though I
don't have a scanner in my car, many mobile amateur radios have extended
coverage that can pick up the police bands in the 150 MHz range, which makes
them "scanners".

Is this a legal definition? I would expect that a scanner
would have to have the capability of automatically "scanning" a number
of frequencies.

Not that this would dissuade the kind of cop who takes your
carrying such documentation as a personal challenge to his authority.

Old September 6th 04, 02:37 PM
Buzzygirl

wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:38:34 GMT, "Buzzygirl"

Is this a legal definition? I would expect that a scanner
would have to have the capability of automatically "scanning" a number
of frequencies.

Here is the text of the Minnesota statute... you will see it says nothing
about "scanning" frequencies. A "scanner" here is defined as a device which
can receive police frequencies:

"299C.37 Police communication equipment; use, sale. Subdivision 1. Use
regulated. (a) No person other
than peace officers within the state, the members of the State Patrol, and
persons who hold an amateur radio license issued by the Federal
Communications Commission, shall equip any motor vehicle with any radio
equipment or combination of equipment, capable of receiving any radio
signal, message, or information from any police emergency frequency, or
install, use, or possess the equipment in a motor vehicle without permission
from the superintendent of the bureau upon a form prescribed by the
superintendent."

Not that this would dissuade the kind of cop who takes your
carrying such documentation as a personal challenge to his authority.

I would bring it up to a judge in traffic court and lodge a formal complaint
with the PD, if it had to go that far.

Jackie

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM