Old September 2nd 04, 01:12 AM
Nicik Name

"stephen" wrote in message
I'm new to scanners and would like a reasonably priced unit to listen to
local police, fire, Coast Guard and so forth.
I am located on Eastern Long Island N.Y. as a reference point.

I was initially interested in a base unit, but the portables are starting
to look like a better choice for obvious reasons.

I've read that RS scanners need to go back to the Shack for software
upgrades?

Will the Pro95 do digital?

What are the bad points of this particular model?

Any other models I might want to look at in the same price range?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been surfing, including the yahoo
Pro95 group which seems very nice.

Tia

Antenna connection to the rubber duck is crap.
through mine into the closet about a year ago....junk

Old September 2nd 04, 03:03 AM
Bruce Markowitz

Buy the programming cable and I'll send you the files for LI
"nyte tech" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:47:48 -0400, stephen wrote:

I'm new to scanners and would like a reasonably priced unit to listen to
local police, fire, Coast Guard and so forth.
I am located on Eastern Long Island N.Y. as a reference point.

I just picked up one of these today from the locat Rat Shack and being
totally new to scanners I am totally confused.
Rat Shack person programmed in all the local frequencies for me so that
has gotten me started off I guess.
The unit seems to be a solid one considering the typical Rat shack stuff
but the manual is a disaster.

I'm finding that it sometimes stalls when scanning on Channel bank 3 or 4
and no amount squelching or button pushing will get it scanning again.
Only locking out Channel bank 3 or 4 will get it going again.

I hope I didn't get a lemon

So I am trying to figure out how to display what frequencies are programed
into these 2 banks and I have yet to find this in the manual.
I'm sure it's there but I am missing it.

Other than that, it seems to work fine and as soon as I figure out how to
use it I'll report back.

I live on L.I as well BTW.

NT

Old September 2nd 04, 11:28 AM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:10:35 -0400, Mark wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:54:38 -0500, Andy wrote:

stephen wrote in news:2pk2ukFlt226U1@uni-
berlin.de:

What are the bad points of this particular model?

Turn off the "beep" feature so the "Low-Battery" warning won't drive you
crazy until the bats are completely exhausted!!! Granted, you may not
pull in weaker stations, but it's a good tradeoff, imho.

If you choose to use NiMH batteries, the Low Battery warning only lasts about
30 seconds before the rig shuts down. That's the way those batteries are
designed. They run full bore and then crap out right at the end whereas
regular batteries slowly drop voltage across their lifespan.

1800mAh NiMH batteries can be found for less than $1 each shipped if you shop
around. Much cheaper than replacing regular batteries every day or two.

Since it comes with two battery holders anyway, I keep NiMhs
in the rechargeable holder and a set of alkalines in the other holder,
to swap in if the NiMHs crap out. I guess it might be even simpler to
keep NiMHs in the second one if I didn't mind recharging them
externally.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:21 PM

On 01 Sep 2004 13:46:46 GMT, ospam (TlgtrProd)

Don't know about going to RS for 'software updates' but you can program the 95
from your computer. Look for other posts on programming. Get the cable at
www.blackbagsoftware.com and I think the pro95 software is at starsoft.com
(?)(someone correct me if I am in error there..)

http://www.starsoft.com/ doesn't have anythng related to
scanner software. Not sure where blackbag sent me to pick up the
software when I got a cable from them.

Very easy to program and
change.

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****
Zip slowly, medical statistics show that over 100,000 people are injured
annually by their clothing.

Old September 2nd 04, 06:01 PM
nyte tech

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:03:25 -0400, Bruce Markowitz wrote:

Buy the programming cable and I'll send you the files for LI
"nyte tech" wrote in message

Hi Bruce I appreciate the offer!
I ordered the cable from blackbagsoftware.

You can email me at:

Thanks!

Steve