Old October 15th 04, 08:06 PM

Default can't use FRS in the malls. even though they were advertised to

p.s. I did not steal these FRS radios. I bought them legally, and have
had them probably over a week now.

They were advertised as to keep in touch witg yur family (and locate
each other) at shoppng malls and parks.

of course, when you go to a shopping mall, you usually shop, and since
these radios were advertised for to be used at shopping malls,

it never even crossed my mind that just having them (turned off, not
transmitting, just having them) would set off the theft alarms of every
single store in the mall that I went into and out of both when I went in
and when I went out.

until. it happened to me today.

I did not have anything else with me that would have set off the theft
alarms, and I did not try to steal anything from any store.

The alarms must have detected the metal and went off when they did so.

So I imagine anyone carrying just a regular handheld scanner they have
to listen to would also acidentally set them off.

My purpose was communications since the radio I had was advetrised to be
used at the mall for personal communications with famly (to locate each
other when we're ready to leave).

Whose at fault here? The stores and mall or the radio manufacturers or
the FCC for allowing it (FRS) to be used for that purpose and promoting
it to be used that for purpose?

They'll all probably blame each other.

What I do know however, is that this can cause some very serious trouble
and very serious problems with people. such as

Theft alarms going off when people didn't steal anything and are just
legally carrying their FRS radios and getting picked up by mall security
and police for it, even if they didn't transmit anything. and were using
it the way it was intended to and advertised as.

Theft alarms going off when Liscened GMRS users are just carrying their
radios and getting picked up by mall security and police for it, even if
they didn't transmit anything, and were using it the way it was intended
to and advertised as.

Mall security and police going to a store where the theft allarm went
off because of a FRS user or liscened GMRS user just having their radio
with them, to be used as intended, while a real burglarly happens at a
different store in the same mall and all the security personnel and
police are at the store with the FRS or GMRS user because the theft
alarms went off just from the FRS user or GMRS user having their radio
with them. (not even transmitting anything).

Old October 15th 04, 08:21 PM
JER1538A

MAYBE IT HAS A THEFT STRIP IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT THAT WASNT DISABLED
??????
Old October 15th 04, 09:12 PM
nitespark

[...]

I see a good Emilio Goldstein story coming out of this snicker.

--
More people died in Ted Kennedy's car than have been killed by my guns.

Old October 15th 04, 10:37 PM
Lou

wrote in message
[...]

Strange, I go into all sorts of shops and malls with FRS radios, Fire
Pagers, Fire Radios, and Scanners and a cell phone - not to mention a pocket
knife, etc. and have YET to have ANY alarms go off. As one person suggested,
maybe there is a theft strip still attached there somehow. Just a guess! Not
sure if those places have any settings to adjust, but if so, maybe they're
set to max! The ONLY place I've ever been subjected to searches - and as
expected, were in County Office Buildings, Airports. Even there, things like
belt buckles, zippers, etc, set them off. Yes, I've taken my fire
pagers/radios and so on in there too, but no knife! IF they don't recognize
the type of radio it is, all they've done is ask to make it work. No
problem. But I also carry ID with me just in case to show my need for said
items. And, to make another point clear, any one of those items invariably
has been used while in the stores. Still, no problems encountered.

Lou

Old October 15th 04, 11:29 PM
Alex Clayton

"Lou" wrote in message
erio.net...

wrote in message
[...]

I would have to think the same. I often use FRS radios, now days I have a
couple GMRS ones. We use them in the malls here as often cell reception is
iffy. I have mine turned on, and have never set off a theft alarm in any
store???
--
Remember folks stop lights timed for 35mph are also timed for 70 mph.

Old October 16th 04, 02:24 AM
Evan Platt

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:52 -0400, wrote:

[...]

The store shoplifting detectors are not metal detectors.

Take the radios back to where you bought them and have them double
check to make sure they disabled the theft deterrent device properly.

And put back on your tinfoil hat.

Old October 16th 04, 02:12 PM
Ken Roberts

wrote in message
[...]

I have, on many occasions, carried FRS radios, scanners, two way radios, ham
transceivers, pagers, cell phones, etc. into many different shopping malls
and the stores within them. I have never, ever set off a theft alarm.

A two way radio of any type should not set off a theft alarm. There's
something else going on here.

Ken

Old October 16th 04, 04:32 PM
Sam

Ken Roberts mentioned in passing :

A two way radio of any type should not set off a theft alarm. There's
something else going on here.

Yeah, everyone in my family -always- has a powered up frs radio on them
and we have never set off any alarms in the stores or malls for about three
years.

--
Sam-I-Am
If you're going through hell, keep going. - Sir Winston Churchill

---

Old October 17th 04, 01:22 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:37:55 -0400, "Lou"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, I've set off alarms at my local library just carrying a
data CD in my pocket. At one of the two, it doesn't go off if I walk
in off center, but with the CD in the pocket closer to the detector.
If I go in with the CD pocket right next to the detector, it sets off
the alarm every time. It doesn't seem to happen in malls, but the
doorways there are wider. Maybe that makes a difference.
Old October 17th 04, 06:21 AM
Lou

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering, was the CD in it's protective case
too? I'm guessing it was, but don't like to assume anything. I may try that
some time to see what any results may be. BUT now another question comes to
mind, if it is a "library" issued CD, does IT have any form of theft
deterrent strip on it somewhere? I've seen bigger libraries which use a
theft system. As I said in my reply immediately above, and as some others
have said similar, I've had no problems with radios and such going into
various places with alarms. Be it while receiving or transmitting or
carrying items such as pocket knives, etc. Maybe some alarms are more
sensitive than others, but I've not run into any - yet. Then on the other
hand, I've seen one go off even though a person in front of me was checked
out and tried to leave. They were checked and found all to be in order, and
told to go ahead. So, who knows? Whatever went on there, was obviously a
foul up - somewhere. It is possible the machines are able to make errors.
Nothing is perfect! Getting back to your post for a second, as one pointed
out, those "theft deterrent" devices are "not" metal detectors. So,
something else on the CD must be doing it.

Lou