Old February 16th 05, 06:05 AM
bluecool

Default Antenna advice - best super gain

Hey,
New to the boards. Cool topics. I live in a city area and want to pick up
much more than the rubber duck that came with either of my portables. I
want something easy to hook up that will help me get train frequencies
and maybe ships at sea (about 4 miles from my house).

I bought a Discone off Ebay, for my roof but it gets less than my rubber
duck! Could be the poor coax I used, but still, I lost all the NOAH
weather freq.s and I only gained some snowy CB trucker signals on 19.

I'm now looking at the indoor flexable antennas like the C.Crane 15.75” CC
Super Gainer.
Anyone know these?
Do they work?

Thanks.

bluecool-

Old February 16th 05, 10:26 PM
Brian

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:05:16 -0500, "bluecool"
wrote:

Hey,
New to the boards. Cool topics. I live in a city area and want to pick up
much more than the rubber duck that came with either of my portables. I
want something easy to hook up that will help me get train frequencies
and maybe ships at sea (about 4 miles from my house).

I bought a Discone off Ebay, for my roof but it gets less than my rubber
duck! Could be the poor coax I used, but still, I lost all the NOAH
weather freq.s and I only gained some snowy CB trucker signals on 19.

I'm now looking at the indoor flexable antennas like the C.Crane 15.75” CC
Super Gainer.
Anyone know these?
Do they work?

Thanks.

bluecool-

get yourself a dressler active antenna and scan the world
Old February 18th 05, 02:57 AM
BJ

Which one do you have, what's the price, and how many radios do you feed
from one antenna? I am seriously considering a dressler...replacing a
damaged discone.

Any good links or pics

Old February 19th 05, 12:12 AM
Brian

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:57:08 GMT, "BJ" wrote:

think the home page is http://www.dressler.com/products/antenna

ara2000

feeding two radio's
antenna works very good mounted about 60 feet up (it very light)

Which one do you have, what's the price, and how many radios do you feed
from one antenna? I am seriously considering a dressler...replacing a
damaged discone.

Any good links or pics

.. .

Old February 20th 05, 07:35 PM
Mike

The Dressler is a very disappointing antenna, I had two demo units from
my local distributor and a R/S Discone worked better on lower VHF and
much of the other bands. At best, the Dressler was a little better than
the Discone on UHF and 800MHz but not enough to justify the exorbitant
price. The dealer even admitted he used a Discone with a separate
Dressler pre amp and got really good results. After several antenna guys
looked over the Dressler, we concluded the antenna element inside is
just not a very good design and the internal pre amp can only do so much
with what you feed it. If someone is praising a Dressler, ask them if
they actually compared it to anything meaningful.
Mike

Old February 21st 05, 12:10 AM
Brian

wrote:

Hey,
New to the boards. Cool topics. I live in a city area and want to pick up
much more than the rubber duck that came with either of my portables. I
want something easy to hook up that will help me get train frequencies
and maybe ships at sea (about 4 miles from my house).

I bought a Discone off Ebay, for my roof but it gets less than my rubber
duck! Could be the poor coax I used, but still, I lost all the NOAH
weather freq.s and I only gained some snowy CB trucker signals on 19.

I'm now looking at the indoor flexable antennas like the C.Crane 15.75"

CC

Super Gainer.
Anyone know these?
Do they work?

Thanks.

bluecool-

get yourself a dressler active antenna and scan the world

I had a dressler for over two years and in blows away my discone, it
pulls out signals my discone never sees

both have the same coax and about the same height (discone is better
in the 25- to 50mhz range )

Old February 21st 05, 12:41 AM
Mike

We had the Dressler and the RS Discone on a small antenna range with a
50MHz to 1GHz log periodic source antenna and an HP scaler network
analyzer. The Discone was swept and stored as a reference and then
compared to the gain/loss of the Dressler and it was not very impressive
for the Dressler. It’s been a few years but I do have the plots
somewhere around here. The two Dressler antennas were borrowed for a
commercial application and when they didn’t perform very well we had
them checked on an antenna range and both antennas showed identical
response. The local distributor also checked them out when returned and
said they were in good working order (if you call that good). I think,
or I should say I know you will get better performance starting with a
Discone and then using a high quality pre amp right at the Discone. The
Dressler pre amp is pricey but you can find some real nice and
originally very expensive high level, low noise figure, wide band amps
on Epay for cheap that are surplused from commercial/military equipment.
Mike

Make your own T2FD Kees Shortwave 75 July 2nd 04 07:54 AM
GE Superadio III earphone difficulty - and what is OHM rating Ronald Shortwave 49 January 22nd 04 07:04 PM
FS: Connectors/Adapters/Meters/Etc. Ben Equipment 0 January 1st 04 02:55 PM
X-terminator antenna (Scott Unit 69) CB 77 October 29th 03 01:52 AM