Old February 24th 05, 02:02 PM
Peter Sz

Default CopWatch Uses Scanners

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/me...atch-0508.html

San Jose CA - citizens keep tabs on the local police with video cameras
and police scanners.

Openness

Old February 24th 05, 04:45 PM
PowerHouse Communications

This "group" is just a small part of what's out there all over the US.
There is a website that I have actively linked to from my own site for over
a year now. I believe this is a good thing. Police, including in my small
town here, have a tendency to let their power go to their heads... I have
personally encountered, and have heard of, many "power trips" with the local
and state police around here. Somebody needs to put them in their place,
and let them know just who it is they are working for, and just who it is
that is paying their wages...

CopWatch: http://www.copwatch.com/

Old February 24th 05, 05:17 PM
Mark

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:45:45 -0600, "PowerHouse Communications"
wrote:

This "group" is just a small part of what's out there all over the US.
There is a website that I have actively linked to from my own site for over
a year now. I believe this is a good thing. Police, including in my small
town here, have a tendency to let their power go to their heads... I have
personally encountered, and have heard of, many "power trips" with the local
and state police around here. Somebody needs to put them in their place,
and let them know just who it is they are working for, and just who it is
that is paying their wages...

Who they work for and who pays their wages is irrelevant.

They are to uphold the law and obey the law. If they are doing this, they
should have no problem having voyeurs follow them around the city.

Old February 25th 05, 11:18 PM
FeMaster

wrote:

[...]

Try telling them that around here... Here's an example:

Being in Michigan, a person needs a permit to possess a scanner in their
vehicle. Local "enforcement" doesn't want you to listen in on their
activities. Of the three people in my family that applied for and received
those permits, I'm the only one that still has one. The other two have had
them revoked due to these "criminals in uniform". I'm thinking that the
only reason I still have mine is that I work 3rd shift and am not out much
during the day, thus not being as "visible" or "accessible" as the other two
are...

Around here they actually make up stories and send them to the
Communications Director in charge of issuing the permits. They make
erroneous claims (see below) that can't be proven either way by either
party, but since they are "the law", their word has more power than the
common citizen, thus no recourse for the innocent. As I have stated and
will continue to state, corruption runs rampant in my area...

1: One was "following emergency calls and showing up at the scene". Funny,
he was in the area, fishing, before the call ever even came in, but it was a
good excuse to pull his license...
2: One was "convicted" of "publishing" because he was found to possess a
notebook with a list of frequencies in it that he had programmed into his
scanner. Another good reason to pull a license...

CopWatch: http://www.copwatch.com/

Old February 25th 05, 11:40 PM
Casper Milquetoast

If the relatives were as paranoid & 'militant' as you seem to be when they
were stopped for whatever reason, it's no wonder the police opted to
strictly & perhaps creatively enforce all applicable laws. I assume your
relatives had the opportunity to go to court over the matters, so either
they failed to do so, or perhaps next you'll ramble on about how all the
courts are corrupt, too.

Old February 27th 05, 09:01 PM
FeMaster

You know, I could ramble on about how they are corrupt around here, but I
won't. Quite simply, who the hell can afford to "get their day in court"
these days... We're not all made of money you know...