Old March 2nd 05, 11:37 PM
Ira Hayes

Default Retread newbie equipment question

I used to police/fire scan 25-30 years ago and was thinking about getting
back into it. I see where everything has gone to trunked systems-- and I
also notice some big clearance sales on this kind of gear.

One guy told me it's all going to go digital now-- so I guess that means new
equipment...and thus the current trunking stuff (I assume analog) is going
to be obsolete soon?

What to buy? How much to spend?

Ike

Old March 3rd 05, 12:22 AM
Alex Clayton

"Ira Hayes" wrote in message
et...
I used to police/fire scan 25-30 years ago and was thinking about getting
back into it. I see where everything has gone to trunked systems-- and I
also notice some big clearance sales on this kind of gear.

One guy told me it's all going to go digital now-- so I guess that means
new equipment...and thus the current trunking stuff (I assume analog) is
going to be obsolete soon?

What to buy? How much to spend?

Ike

Where do you live? Not all cities have gone to either trunking or digital.
Mine just changed over to trunking, but the county here has not and has no
plans at this time, to spend the money. If you post where you are there may
be people who can tell you whether you even need a trunking scanner, or if
your area is getting ready to up grade.
--
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

Old March 3rd 05, 05:42 AM
notgood

First thing you probably want to do is hook up with a scanner enthusiast in
your area who's familiar with the local scanning scene. If you're really
lucky, the folks at your local Radio Shack may be able to tell you what's
going on and supply you with the major local scanner frequencies for free. I
really wouldn't worry about having to buy digital equipment now if your
locale is operating a regular or trunked system. Most municipalities spent a
fortune going trunked and don't want to spend more to go digital. It could
be years before they make the switch and by then there will probably be
other technologies to consider.

et...