Old May 2nd 05, 06:40 PM
Big Kahuna

Default General Freqs for I-40...

Greets.

I'll be driving from CA to OK in about a month. I was pondering taking
the scanner, but then I thought I'd have to enter a *ton* of frequencies
for various highway patrol districts, towns, sheriffs, etc. Then I'd
have to put all of that in banks and scan the appropriate bank. Way too
much research and inputting freqs....

Can someone give me a general idea of what a good set of general freqs
might be for this trip? I guess I won't be able to input all the
specifics, but thought a general emergency and shared set might work....

Thanks.
Old May 2nd 05, 07:01 PM
Bo Williams

Big Kahuna wrote:
Greets.

I'll be driving from CA to OK in about a month. I was pondering taking
the scanner, but then I thought I'd have to enter a *ton* of frequencies
for various highway patrol districts, towns, sheriffs, etc. Then I'd
have to put all of that in banks and scan the appropriate bank. Way too
much research and inputting freqs....

Can someone give me a general idea of what a good set of general freqs
might be for this trip? I guess I won't be able to input all the
specifics, but thought a general emergency and shared set might work....

This seems like a classic most-for-the-least problem to me. Sure, it
wouldn't be worth it to get EVERY SINGLE frequency set programmed in,
but if you get highway patrol for every state and police for every city
of population 25K, you'd be in pretty good shape for just an hour or
so of effort. Then snarf the shared frequencies here (for
ambulance/hospital and what-not):

http://strongsignals.net/access/content/faf.html

Program a couple of good limit searches to hit other stuff, and you're
in business!
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Old May 2nd 05, 08:14 PM
Jim Hackett

If you had a Uniden BCT-8 you wouldn't have this problem. It has all 50
states pre-programmed.
I know, it doesn't help. Just thought I'd mention it in case you were
feeling "spendy" I paid $169 for mine...

Old May 2nd 05, 08:29 PM
Bill Crocker

Good point Jim! Also, Radio Shack has an enhanced clone of the BCT-8. It's
the PRO-2051. It has 1,000 channels, and although normally selling for
$199.99, it's on sale right now for $149.99, $50.00 off!

The only limitation on the BCT-8, and the PRO-2051, is that neither covers
the "Digital Mode", so here in Michigan, they do not cover the Michigan
State Police.

Bill Crocker

nk.net...

Old May 4th 05, 04:34 PM
DX99

Just my 2 cents - I travel frequently and find myself in out-of-the-way
motels and hotels and I recently bought the BC246T with the close call
feature - be surprised what you hear around small town motels and all. This
scanner is great to have if you dont know area freqs. But, keep in mind, it
is very close proximity to where you are located