Old October 29th 05, 07:04 PM
Scott

Default which old scanners receive cellular

and cordless phones bands. By searching ebay I come across one that
stated it was manufactured before those bands were blocked. What other
name brands plus models should I be searching for.
Old October 29th 05, 10:59 PM
krackula

why bother ? the FCC has ended the requirement to maintain analog
cellular services by 2007. analog conversations in most large metro
areas are already mostly dead, with the remaining services generally
found in remote areas poorly served by digital services.

don't spend a lot for your analog cellular scanner ( pro-43 or similar
for example ) as it will soon become nearly worthless.

Old October 30th 05, 12:59 AM
Scott

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:59:33 -0700, krackula wrote:

why bother ? the FCC has ended the requirement to maintain analog
cellular services by 2007. analog conversations in most large metro
areas are already mostly dead, with the remaining services generally
found in remote areas poorly served by digital services.

don't spend a lot for your analog cellular scanner ( pro-43 or similar
for example ) as it will soon become nearly worthless.

I understand what you mean, but to be honest I doubt that my county
will ever bother going digital. If so it'll be 15 years after everyone
else does. They stay behind on everything.
Old October 30th 05, 01:02 AM
Scott

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:59:33 -0700, krackula wrote:

why bother ? the FCC has ended the requirement to maintain analog
cellular services by 2007. analog conversations in most large metro
areas are already mostly dead, with the remaining services generally
found in remote areas poorly served by digital services.

don't spend a lot for your analog cellular scanner ( pro-43 or similar
for example ) as it will soon become nearly worthless.

By the way I live in Newnan, GA Coweta County.....You have any
information about them going digital. Were part of the Metro Atlanta
area.
Old October 30th 05, 08:41 PM
krackula

" exactly "

actually , there absolutely will be new services / transmissions that
will fill those old analog freqs and 700- 800 mhz in general. new
scanners ( those built after 2007 ) would logically be able to
receive the whole 700 - 800 mhz band , with no exceptions , because
the banned analog cellular calls will be gone.

trouble is ( with old / current scanners , that is ) , not only
would they be " frequency challenged " as you say , they will also be
" scanning " challenged because the new reorganization of the 700 -
800 ( and others ) bands will have different channel spacing and
modes of transmission. the only currently made scanners that will
survive those changes ( properly ) will be the ones with manually
programmable channel spacing ( on all bands ) and additionally they
must have manually programmable mode selection too. a great many
scanners, as a matter of fact , most current scanners have some sort
of preprogrammed spacing / mode selection built into their eproms
for use in automatic selection operation.

serious scanner hobbyist will almost certainly want a scanner that
addresses the new changes in process , esp band / mode changes . one
especially, that doesn't prevent them from listening ( properly ) to
the new activities that are in the works.

if you are worried about having a scanner that will pick up the banned
cellular freqs , forget about clinging to your old scanners and look
to the new ones when they come out ( 2007 and beyond ) as they will
surely be able to, since the banned restrictions will no longer
apply. most people will want scanners with eproms that fit the new
band spacing / freq / mode changes , basically flooding the market
with current / older scanners that do not fit properly into the
current changes taking place.
zillions of current high end scanners will be had for a song when
the new jobbies hit the market. you can bet that scanner makers have
already geared up their production to address these issues and will
try to beat each other to production. all the people that have
bought those current expensive digital scanners or any scanner with
preprogrammed eproms ( nearly any and all models ) will be stuck with
old technology and be angry that their new $500 scanner only lasted 2
or 3 years before becoming obsolete.

mega changes in the cages are at hand for everyone in this hobby.

Which isn't to say nothing of interest will ever pop up on the now defunct
cell band.
Not everyone is content with a frequency challenged scanner.

Old October 31st 05, 02:05 AM
Jesse

krackula wrote in news:u6aam19ms0u9fu8sa03042eer2v1bg3dq3@
4ax.com:

should probably consider leaving at least a portion of quoted text [on top]
to preserve continuity.

[...]

Good point - But do you really think that they would come out with some
sort of bizzare channel spacing like 13.8 khz, that would render it
impossible for scanners, which generally will all recieve in 5/25 khz
steps, to recieve ?
Even with the above example, most scanners would likely catch the
transmission just fine, if slighlty out of tune.
There are not too many numbers which you can get very far from 5khz steps.
Don't know if the way I put that makes complete sense, but I trust you
gather what the gist of my point is.

if you are worried about having a scanner that will pick up the banned
cellular freqs , forget about clinging to your old scanners and look
to the new ones when they come out ( 2007 and beyond ) as they will
surely be able to, since the banned restrictions will no longer
apply. most people will want scanners with eproms that fit the new
band spacing / freq / mode changes , basically flooding the market
with current / older scanners that do not fit properly into the
current changes taking place.

I will beleive the restriction is lifted when I see it happen.
Once passed, laws/regulations are no so easily rescinded ... Even if
rescinding makes perfect sense.

zillions of current high end scanners will be had for a song when
the new jobbies hit the market. you can bet that scanner makers have
already geared up their production to address these issues and will
try to beat each other to production. all the people that have
bought those current expensive digital scanners or any scanner with
preprogrammed eproms ( nearly any and all models ) will be stuck with
old technology and be angry that their new $500 scanner only lasted 2
or 3 years before becoming obsolete.

mega changes in the cages are at hand for everyone in this hobby.

True, but the same can be said gor any technology just about.
I spent $3,000 in 1997 to get a top of the line computer - A Pentium 2 266
mhz beast running W 95.
Today, I'd be lucky to get $100 for it, from someone wanting an extra
computer for their grandchild or something.
I paid about the same less than a year ago for a P4 3.60 GHZ as I did for
the first - And no doubt 5 years from now it will be a quaint little joke,
suitable to play old games and run word programs on.
Such is life, and scanners are no exception.
Old October 31st 05, 04:34 PM
krackula

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:05:53 GMT, Jesse wrote:

krackula wrote in news:u6aam19ms0u9fu8sa03042eer2v1bg3dq3@
4ax.com:

should probably consider leaving at least a portion of quoted text [on top]
to preserve continuity.

10 - 4

[...]

I think you are right , that many ( if not most ) scanners will still
work " ok " with the new 800 mhz channel spacing because it
packs more channels into smaller bands of freqs . like you said, these
will likely still work it's just that scanners in general won't be
preprogrammed for the correct spacing in 800 mhz and most average
scanners don't receive the new 700 mhz bands at all. myself , I'm
picky and like to have all my presets ( in eprom ) fit the bands I'm
listening to. either way , it will still be 3 or 4 years or more
before all this gets completely on a roll. by that time , totally
new modes such as UWB will be getting started , changing things up
all over again ! aha h ahah ha aha with analog TV channels mandated
to end ( now ) in 2008 , who can foresee what all that change will
mean for scanner hobbyists with all those freqs open too. quite a
lot of change as compared to past times. maybe the time is close at
hand for completely software programmable DSP based scanners, so
that we can keep up with all these changes !

[...]

hah ah ah hah you've got a point there !!! it doesn't seem like
" that " long ago when a friend paid over $4500 to get the latest
" 2 external , single sided , disk drive " Apple IIE computer with
color monitor and 128k memory upgrade ! h ahaha h haha

Old November 1st 05, 02:11 AM
Al Klein

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:34:26 -0800, krackula said in
rec.radio.scanner:

with analog TV channels mandated
to end ( now ) in 2008 , who can foresee what all that change will
mean for scanner hobbyists with all those freqs open too.

Not only the ones directly affected. Who knows how many hams living
in areas with a channel 2 TV station will start operating on 6 meters,
opening up all kinds of skip possibilities.

hah ah ah hah you've got a point there !!! it doesn't seem like
" that " long ago when a friend paid over $4500 to get the latest
" 2 external , single sided , disk drive " Apple IIE computer with
color monitor and 128k memory upgrade ! h ahaha h haha

I still have one. No monitor, but "4 external , single sided , disk
drives", modem, Z-80 card. I ran a BBS on it for a few years.

You too can receive $50,000 from spending only $5.00...read this to find out how, and receive a special added bonus!!! You too can receive $50,000 from spending only $5.00...read this to find out how, and receive a special added bonus!!! Brooklynspy Antenna 0 September 28th 05 05:01 PM
Want Money? Try this Out gh CB 1 March 24th 05 10:27 AM
FS: RS Pro 2067, Pro -2035 and Pro- 2006 Scanners Tom Swap 1 August 14th 04 05:22 PM
What can't scanners receive? Jim Scanner 16 April 19th 04 07:56 AM