Old February 9th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Sheraton Hotel Security frequencies

Hi everybody,

I would need some pointers with the following issue:

I am taking my kids to a State Chess Tournament in Miami in which 1000+
kids will be staying at a local Sheraton hotel. Considering how unsafe
Miami is, I would feel much better if I could listen to the chatter of
the Sheraton's security service during this 2 day tournament. I have
read that some hotels use frequences in the 400MHz range while others
use frequencies in the 150MHz range. Since this is a major hotel I
will have a hard time figuring out who is who just by scanning these
two bands (not to mention that security is the one service *least*
likely to transmit much until something is already happening). I even
though about calling the hotel, but considering that they will house
over 1000 kids they are most unlikely to agree to give me their
frequencies.

Since I am using a Radio Shack PRO-97 I might also get a picture of
what is going on by using its Signal Stalker II, but again I fear that
I might get pretty much everybody except security.

Any ideas as to how I should takle this issue? Is there a way of
finding out at least in what frequency range I should be looking?

Many thanks,

Old February 10th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Homer.Simpson

said

Hi everybody,

I would need some pointers with the following issue:

I am taking my kids to a State Chess Tournament in Miami in which

snip

Any ideas as to how I should takle this issue? Is there a way of
finding out at least in what frequency range I should be looking?

SHERATON BAL HARBOUR ?

http://tinyurl.com/7k3x9

Search he
http://tinyurl.com/bh3og

Post back your results. Nosy scanners need to know.
Old February 10th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Nope - its not the Bal Harbour, its the Sheraton Miami Mart Hotel (711
NW 72nd Avenue Miami, Florida 33126 United States) right next to the
Intenational Airport.

Sorry - I should have been more specific.

I did not find it in the database you suggested, but maybe I did
something wrong. Also - what if they use frequencies which do not
requiere FCC licenses (say FRS or MURS)?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

VS

PS: when I find out I will come back and post. We do need to know ;-)

Old February 10th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Homer.Simpson

said

Nope - its not the Bal Harbour, its the Sheraton Miami Mart Hotel
(711 NW 72nd Avenue Miami, Florida 33126 United States) right
next to the Intenational Airport.

I did not find it in the database you suggested, but maybe I did
something wrong.

I searched a bit more too. Nothing. ;-(

I even tried with Lat/Long he
[25.46.35 Lat 80.18.45 (Deg.Min.Sec)]
http://tinyurl.com/dwgag

Also - what if they use frequencies which do
not requiere FCC licenses (say FRS or MURS)?

I suspect they would not be on any list then? You'd just have to
search within the freq ranges.

Any ideas?

I wonder if all the local Sheridan's share the same frequency (and
the same license). Maybe the Bal Harbour is the licensor for all
locals. Maybe they share the same (subcontracted) security service?
Maybe you could gather all the FCC listed freq's for Sheraton's.
(I'm just guessing here, maybe someone more knowledgeable can offer
some more informed advice)

PS: when I find out I will come back and post. We do need to
know ;-)

Good luck. Let us know if you hear anything fun.

(Last Christmas someone called the police because "someone was
messing with their Christmas reindeer". Soon after the policeman
arrived on scene he reported "the reindeer are no longer
fornicating")

I love scanning. ;-)

Old February 11th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. Did I mention I was a total newbie? Because
here is my follow up question:

I found this info on the net about this hotel:

---
461.15000 466.15000 WPSH615 RM 346 DPL Sheraton Miami Mart
Hotel - Housekeeping FM
---

What does that mean? Which frequency are they using, 461.15000 or
466.15000 or both? Also, what is the "RM" type? Lastly, what is
"tone" of 346 DPL?!

My PRO-97 has the following modes: AM, FM, CT/CTCSS, DC/DCS, ED/EDACS,
MO/MOTOROLA, and LT/LTR but no "RM" or "DPL" modes. I am very confused
and hence *my* mode is "SOS" :-(

Besides, the mode used by the hotel is "FM" so what is all this RM and
DPL all about?!?!

I love scanning too, but I will love it more once these things become
clearer in my head.

Thanks for any pointers,

TN

Old February 11th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Homer.Simpson

said
461.15000 466.15000 WPSH615 RM 346 DPL
Sheraton Miami Mart Hotel - Housekeeping FM
---

What does that mean? Which frequency are they using, 461.15000
or 466.15000 or both? Also, what is the "RM" type? Lastly, what
is "tone" of 346 DPL?!

Probably both frequencies.

I'm unsure about the RM.

DPL is Digital Private Line:
It's a way for multiple user-groups to use the same frequency but
not hear each others conversation. It's an inaudible signal
transmitted "on" the main transmission. It informs the radio which
group the transmission is targeted for. Example: Police and Fire
can use the same frequency but mask-out each others conversions.

http://www.strongsignals.net/access/...ser.html#SEC09

My PRO-97 has the following modes: AM, FM, CT/CTCSS, DC/DCS,
ED/EDACS, MO/MOTOROLA, and LT/LTR but no "RM" or "DPL" modes. I
am very confused and hence *my* mode is "SOS" :-(

Besides, the mode used by the hotel is "FM" so what is all this
RM and DPL all about?!?!

I'd program both 461.15000 and 466.15000 into your radio.
Set both to FM, and ignore the DPL stuff.

I love scanning too, but I will love it more once these things
become clearer in my head.

It takes a bit of time, that's for sure. ;-D

Here's some links:
http://www.strongsignals.net/index.cgi
http://www.radioreference.com/
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/

Also do you have some programming software? I don't have a Pro-97
but I use this to support a friends scanner.
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win97/default.asp

Thanks for any pointers,

Keep asking. There is a wealth of info in this group.

Regards,
Old February 11th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On 11 Feb 2006 10:11:35 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for all the info. Did I mention I was a total newbie? Because
here is my follow up question:

I found this info on the net about this hotel:

---
461.15000 466.15000 WPSH615 RM 346 DPL Sheraton Miami Mart
Hotel - Housekeeping FM
---

What does that mean? Which frequency are they using, 461.15000 or
466.15000 or both?

The portables transmit on 466.15 and listen on 461.15. The repeater
(probably up on one of the enclosures on the roof) listens on 466.15
and retransmits (in real time) on 461.15. It's called a repeater. If
you listen on 461.15, you should hear everything.

Also, what is the "RM" type?

Repeater.

Lastly, what is "tone" of 346 DPL?!

If you have a scanner capable of decoding digital PL, and you set it
to 346, you won't hear anything else that may be using that frequency.
Otherwise ignore it.

My PRO-97 has the following modes: AM, FM, CT/CTCSS, DC/DCS, ED/EDACS,
MO/MOTOROLA, and LT/LTR but no "RM" or "DPL" modes. I am very confused
and hence *my* mode is "SOS" :-(

So you *can* set it for a DPL (or DCS - Digital Coded Squelch; DPL is
Digital Private Line, which is a misnomer, since "Private Line" is
Motorola's name for CTCSS) of 346. It probably won't make any
difference whether you do or not - unless there's someone else nearby
using the same frequency, in which case you'll hear only the hotel.
The mode you want is plain old FM.
Old February 12th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Dear Homer and Al, Thanks for all the super useful and clear
explanations! I really appreciate these pointers for the (now happy)
newbie that I am. When I come back from this tournament I will come
back to post about my experience there. Cheers, VS