Old July 31st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What portable has best SSB?

Anybody who can expand on just the SSB performance of the 1103 against
the Sony 7600GR? I'd like a little portable for mainly listening to 80/40-
meter ham bands.
My DX398 is insensitive off the whip and my B45 is okay but tunes in 5khz
increments,
fine tuning is touchy and seems to drift somewhat. Are the Sony or Degen
any better??

I don't really care about FM or SWBC that much. Besides SSB, I'd use it for
MW stations.

Thanks..
Old July 31st 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WheatBoy wrote:
Anybody who can expand on just the SSB performance of the 1103 against
the Sony 7600GR? I'd like a little portable for mainly listening to 80/40-
meter ham bands.
My DX398 is insensitive off the whip and my B45 is okay but tunes in 5khz
increments,
fine tuning is touchy and seems to drift somewhat. Are the Sony or Degen
any better??

I don't really care about FM or SWBC that much. Besides SSB, I'd use it for
MW stations.

Thanks..

Eton E1, hands down!!!

Old August 1st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Douche Bag" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Eton E1 is a piece of junk. For the price the 1103 is as good as

How bought that question? Come on you can do it!

BH

Old August 1st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WheatBoy wrote:
Anybody who can expand on just the SSB performance of the 1103 against
the Sony 7600GR? I'd like a little portable for mainly listening to 80/40-
meter ham bands.
My DX398 is insensitive off the whip and my B45 is okay but tunes in 5khz
increments,
fine tuning is touchy and seems to drift somewhat. Are the Sony or Degen
any better??

I don't really care about FM or SWBC that much. Besides SSB, I'd use it for
MW stations.

Thanks..

The Kaito KA-1103/1102 are OK for SSB. MW is weak with built-in antenna
due to their small size. The Eton E1 is the best portable, but close to
$500. It has 10 Hz readout & tuning steps so SSB sounds just like AM. I
use a Radio Shack loop that is like the Terk Advantage & get AM/MW
sometimes from Europe, Middle East & Africa. George (MN)

Old August 1st 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What I want is a D cup size deep plunge push up (or whatever they call
them) Wonder Bra.I keep checking the Goodwill store,but no luck yet.The
MacRae's department store at Metrocenter Mall (just across Highway 80
from me) sells them and Pam (a regular lady shopper at the Goodwill
store) told me there is a Frederick's store at Metrocenter Mall sells
them too.But first I think I need to ask Pam what size I am.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Sir,

I cannot comment on the SSB performance of the Degen DE-1103 as I do
not own one. I can tell you, however, that the SSB performance of the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR is quite good as it features a USB/LSB switch as well
as an analog clarifier. This allows you to adjust the phasing such that
it is essentially "spot-on." It is also very sensitive and can even be
used with an external antenna, if required. While my Grundig Satellit
800 and my AOR AR7030 Plus outperform it (they ought to at their
prices!), for the money ($150 or less), the Sony is one sweet little
receiver and it is ruggedly built, therefore eminently portable.

I should think that its MW performance would be superior to that of the
Degen due to its excellent sensitivity on MW as well as its synchronous
detection circuit which can eliminate selective-fading distortion. The
Degen does not have this circuit and I personally find it very helpful
(both on SW and MW).

All in all, the Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a very fine receiver which, I
believe, would satisfy your needs well.

Best,

Joe

P.S. I own five of them!

Old August 6th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jt jt is offline

Hi,
I also have the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. But I must admit I am a novice in
regard to SSB. Please tell me how I can make the most of my radio's SSB
capabilities! If you have the time please tell me about SSB & how it
can enhance my radio listening experience. I am really interested,
thanks & regards,
Deepak

Old August 6th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WheatBoy wrote:
Anybody who can expand on just the SSB performance of the 1103 against
the Sony 7600GR? I'd like a little portable for mainly listening to 80/40-
meter ham bands.
My DX398 is insensitive off the whip and my B45 is okay but tunes in 5khz
increments,
fine tuning is touchy and seems to drift somewhat. Are the Sony or Degen
any better??

I don't really care about FM or SWBC that much. Besides SSB, I'd use it for
MW stations.

Thanks.

I have a Sony 7600 (older version). The problem with a clarifier is you
can't preset the radio to hear a signal that isn't present. That is,
suppose you wanted to hear HF-GCS on 11.175USB. You can plug in
11.175usb, but until they start talking, the tuning will be off.

The target market for portable shortwave radios is broadcast, not
utility. For sideband broadcast, all that comes to mind is Radio Havana
Cuba and AFN. I haven't listened to the RHC sideband in some time, but
the 7600 should be fine for that application.