Old August 21st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What Happened to Grundig?

Von Fourche wrote:
Every happened to Grundig shortwave radios? Did Grundig sell their
shortwave department to Eton? And who or what is Eton? Is Eton a Chinese
company?

I had a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 back in the mid 1990's and I loved that
little radio. Unfortunately I got mad one night and busted that radio. I
sure wish I had not done that. I'm thinking about buying another one off
e-bay, maybe.

Anyway, what's the story on Grundig and Eton?

The YB-400 was a Chinese creation with the Grundig name. It was a good
radio given what it cost. I still have mine and I often take it with me
when I travel.

That said, there were many who thought the quality control left
something to be desired. I have not had problems, but apparently others
did. I don't know what became of this "Grundig" name use arrangement.
I'm not surprised that it's no longer sold this way.

DE AB3A
Old August 22nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Jake Brodsky wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
Every happened to Grundig shortwave radios? Did Grundig sell their
shortwave department to Eton? And who or what is Eton? Is Eton a Chinese
company?

I had a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 back in the mid 1990's and I loved that
little radio. Unfortunately I got mad one night and busted that radio. I
sure wish I had not done that. I'm thinking about buying another one off
e-bay, maybe.

Anyway, what's the story on Grundig and Eton?

The YB-400 was a Chinese creation with the Grundig name.

What in the world is a Chinese creation. We should then refer to older
Sony radios as Japanese creations, Ford car radios as Chinese
creations, Volvo cars as multinational creations, etc. Consumer and
other products are produced by countries rather than companies?????

Old August 22nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John S. wrote:

What in the world is a Chinese creation. We should then refer to older
Sony radios as Japanese creations, Ford car radios as Chinese
creations, Volvo cars as multinational creations, etc. Consumer and
other products are produced by countries rather than companies?????

I used the term "creation" because this radio had nothing much to do
with the well known (and highly regarded) German firm Grundig, except
for the name. You are correct in that the components did come from many
countries; though it appears from looking on the inside that the
majority of them did come from China.

DE AB3A
Old August 23rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Jake Brodsky wrote:
John S. wrote:

What in the world is a Chinese creation. We should then refer to older
Sony radios as Japanese creations, Ford car radios as Chinese
creations, Volvo cars as multinational creations, etc. Consumer and
other products are produced by countries rather than companies?????

I used the term "creation" because this radio had nothing much to do
with the well known (and highly regarded) German firm Grundig, except
for the name.

FWIW, I don't think there is much of Grundig europe left after the
various operating units were sold off. After looking at their product
line my impression is that they are just another small consumer
electronics company that sells goods manufactured in asia. There is
little germanic about them that I could see.

You are correct in that the components did come from many
countries; though it appears from looking on the inside that the
majority of them did come from China.

DE AB3A

What Happened to Grundig? John S. Shortwave 7 August 25th 06 05:30 AM
What Happened To Grundig ? - Grundig To The Max ! RHF Shortwave 0 August 13th 06 08:46 AM
What Happened to Grundig? Vesa Shortwave 1 August 12th 06 03:46 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM