Old August 30th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie - Just Purcahsed Etón E5

Hello All:

Total newbie to SW and radios in general but just bought an E5. A
couple basic questions:

1. What's the most effective way to use the external antenna that is
included? Simply string it out the window? Up the roof line?

2. Any info sites you recommend? I've already found RadioIntel,
Universal Radio, DXing.com and this newsgroup. I hope you're a friendly lot!

TIA

geeman

Old August 30th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello geeman,

As to the antenna, best I can say is *experiment* G. That's part of the
fun in this hobby. Trying different configurations. And sometimes, what
works today, may be totally silent tomorrow. That's from experience.

Look up "Monitoring Times" on the web (also a *great magazine" for the
hobby). One list on their sight is the *Hot 1000* IIRC. I'm not familiar
with the E5. Does it have SSB (single sideband) capabilities?

If you get the Monitoring Times magazine, it has a section that goes hour by
hour for 24 hours, listing broadcast stations in English on shortwave. Sort
of a TV guide for shortwave.

Welcome to the world of Shortwave Radio. If that radio has SSB, you can get
Ham stations, Utilities (ships, planes, etc.). On AM there is the Broadcast
Stations, some Ham, and CB. And it goes from there....

My first station, many years ago, was Radio Australia with a 30 foot hunk of
wire just thrown on the roof. (Didn't know it was a powerhouse station
then), but what a rush hearing that accent, and knowing it was from a
different part of the world.

Again Welcome!!! Hope you find most of us friendly and helpful. And just
remember, the *only* stupid question is the one *not* asked. I've seen
questions here that I didn't know the answer to and was glad someone asked,
because it got me learning new things. So ask away!!!!

Happy Listening,

Eric

Old August 30th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thank you Bob. I'm not a homophobe myself so I'll ignore the peripheral
comments. After a few days of lurking I've already killfiled a few
individuals. I just want to enjoy my new radio.

I have fond memories from childhood listening to distant AM stations in the
family car many a late night. I've always found it quite fascinating. I
realize it's a dying technology but heck, we're all talking on "newsgroups"
which ain't exactly the cutting edge of the information age these days. Most
have moved to web-based forums. I like to think there's a slightly more
literate bent to the newsgroup crowd but I'm often proven wrong.

Thanks again.

"Bob Dobbs EC42" wrote in message
newsan.2006.08.29.23.56.16.533000@Quetzalcoatl.. .
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:40:14 -0700, M Garcia wrote:

Hello All:

Total newbie to SW and radios in general but just bought an E5. A couple
basic questions:

1. What's the most effective way to use the external antenna that is
included? Simply string it out the window? Up the roof line?

As high and clear as posible is best, although you'll be surprised at what
it will pick up just tossed on the floor

2. Any info sites you recommend? I've already found RadioIntel,
Universal Radio, DXing.com and this newsgroup. I hope you're a friendly
lot!

Sometimes I wonder what all the displayed 'friendship' here really
suggests, but in spite of the overwhelming amount of gay teasing there are
some informative folk who contribute in this forum.

--

Echo Charlie 42
San Diego, California

Old August 30th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs EC42 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder what all the displayed 'friendship' here really
suggests, but in spite of the overwhelming amount of gay teasing there are
some informative folk who contribute in this forum.

We don't tease dxAce because he's gay. We tease him because he is an
antisocial, racist cretin.

mike

Old August 30th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Seeeee,it's like this,,,, in Canada they teach those surrender monkeys
in Canada to hate Americans.I speak the TRUTH.
cuhulin

Old August 30th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie - Just Purchased Etón E5

"Eric Ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Eric. The E5 does have SSB. So here's one of many dumb questions to
come. If I have SSB do I also have LSB and USB? I've read the definitions of
both as well as SSB but am still a little unclear. For example, a listing I
have from DXing.com reads: "This band is mainly used by aeronautical
stations in USB." Is the single-sideband capability referring to the fact
that I can receive just one "side" of the carrier wave, either USB or LSB,
and filter out the other side depending on which "side" is actually carrying
the signal?

Thanks for the tip on Monitoring Times. I actually found that one too but
forgot to mention it. I didn't poke around enough to find the broadcast
listings but I will definitely check it out. Thanks again.

geeman

Old August 30th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"m II" wrote in message
Bob Dobbs EC42 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder what all the displayed 'friendship' here really
suggests, but in spite of the overwhelming amount of gay teasing there
are
some informative folk who contribute in this forum.

We don't tease dxAce because he's gay. We tease him because he is an
antisocial, racist cretin.

mike

I'm not taking sides...yet. : )

Old August 30th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
Seeeee,it's like this,,,, in Canada they teach those surrender monkeys
in Canada to hate Americans.I speak the TRUTH.
cuhulin

Not biting.

Old August 30th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , geeman
wrote:

[...]

Yes.

I've read the definitions of both as well as SSB but am still a
little unclear. For example, a listing I have from DXing.com reads:
"This band is mainly used by aeronautical stations in USB." Is the
single-sideband capability referring to the fact that I can receive
just one "side" of the carrier wave, either USB or LSB, and filter
out the other side depending on which "side" is actually carrying the
signal?

Snip

The word band has a different meaning depending on context.

When speaking about SSB, USB, LSB the inference is a range of
frequencies below (LSB) and above (USB) a stations carrier frequency.
This range of frequency is defined by the information that modulates the
carrier and so it is a small range of a few kilohertz wide. Here USB and
LSB are the sidebands of the carrier.

When speaking about a range of frequencies that by regulation are used
for a specific purpose such as aeronautical communications is a wider
range of frequencies that will accommodate many carriers or stations and
is more like 100 to 500 kilohertz in width.

Stations that broadcast in SSB mode usually only modulate one sideband
upper or lower. If your radios has a switch for USB / LSB then you will
have to pick the correct sideband to hear it. If your radio does not
have that switch you just turn the BFO control in one direction for USB
and turn it in the other direction for LSB.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California