Old October 10th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Killfile with Google Groups

Has anyone ever figured out how to do this?

If so, your advice is most welcome.

thanks

Old October 10th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10 Oct 2006 05:09:41 -0700, wavetrapper wrote:
Has anyone ever figured out how to do this?

If so, your advice is most welcome.

thanks

Well, since you're posting through Google Groups ...

But let me answer your question anyway: I use a news reader which can
filter posts by checking any header you wish. The free news reader
Xnews will do that and will let you check the Message-ID and References
headers, for example. You can kill all posts from Google Groups, plus
all followups to those posts, by using the following score file:

--(cut here)--[*]
sco: -9999
Old October 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think he wants to be able to killfile unwanted posters while he is
using Google Groups. As a Google user myself, I have found that there
is no *obvious* way to accomplish this end.

On the other hand, Google allows one to pick and choose messages to
read at will, although possibly without adequate information to know if
they are worthwhile before opening them. In any case, I find
"killfile" to be largely unnecessary anyway.

Bruce Jensen
****************
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:51:42 +0000 (UTC), Lloyd
wrote:

On 10 Oct 2006 05:09:41 -0700, wavetrapper wrote:
Has anyone ever figured out how to do this?

If so, your advice is most welcome.

thanks

Well, since you're posting through Google Groups ...

they want to ill file users with in google

and it can't be from there
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Old October 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes that is correct.

In some other message boards I am in, you can put posters who are in
outer space on Ignore. I was hoping for something like that.

That would be invaluable here. Probably reduce a good 30% of the
unrelated malarky and cut out a lot of the b.s. - leaving a higher
percentage of bona fide subject matter to be read.

-Russ

Old October 10th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wavetrapper wrote:
Has anyone ever figured out how to do this?

If so, your advice is most welcome.

thanks

What I find most interesting about kill-filing is the number of times
some guy on this forum says he is gonna killfille someone, and usually
ends the sentence with a "plonk". And yet that same guy is within
hours back in fine form as the lead participant in yet another ****ing
contest with the one supposedly kill filed.

I suspect the number of readers that really use that feature are very
small. After all it would take all the fun out of rec.radio.shortwave.
Many threats, but no real followthrough.

Old October 11th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I find that the Google online reader is as easy as any reader to use as
any for quickly skimming mesaages for those that should be passed.
While there is no killfile tool, in some ways that is a blessing
because you can quickly scan threads and pass on messages or read them
at will. Usually the topic or the authors name is sufficient to make
that determination and Google will suppress the text until clicked on.
Killfiles have the obvious limitation that any messages from one author
are hidden, and I've found even the idiots will sometimes have a pearl
to share.

wavetrapper wrote:
I don't have any interest in the drama and kindergarten stuff that goes
on here.
I actually come to read about radios and shortwave.
Any tool that will help me to that better, I am interested in.

Old October 11th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wavetrapper wrote:

I don't have any interest in the drama and kindergarten stuff that goes
on here.
I actually come to read about radios and shortwave.
Any tool that will help me to that better, I am interested in.

I assume that since you are using google, your ISP is not providing access
to a newsgroup server. (Check with them, maybe they do provide a server.)

Here are a couple of options.

1) Download a free newsgroup reader that has good killfile support. (I'm
using KNode under Linux.) Then read the groups from one of the free
newservers. When you want to post, use google.

2) Subscribe to one of the major newservers. Use a reader that supports a
killfile. Then you can post from the same application.

craigm