Old October 12th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SR SR is offline

Default Do they still make BEEPERS???

First let me said this: I do not need or care for a cell phone. Their
too expensive and I find counting minutes a nuance.

When I go online, my telephone line is busy. So I want to have a beeper
so that my brother can call the beeper, once I get the beep, I can then
call him back.

I had not seen beepers around in stores. People do not even talk about
them ever since cell phones took over.

I did a google search on Beepers and Beeper services and hardly nothing
comes up.

Now as for the beeper, I would like: A beeper with a few features such
as the number that is calling me and date/time. If their are beepers
with more features, news/weather report, please let me know about them.

73, SR!
Old October 12th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SR" wrote in message

I did a google search on Beepers and Beeper services and hardly nothing
comes up.

This isn't the right group for this (though I don't think there even is
one,) however, try doing a search for "pagers" instead of beepers... There
is TONS of stuff out there. Heck even beepers brought up a fairly huge
list, don't know why you got "hardly nothing."

Old October 12th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Check your phone book.I looked in my Jackson yellow pages and I see,
Econo Page and K'Nex Communications and Ozborn Communications Service
and Teletouch and Mobilnews Communications.Then I did a
www.devlfinder.com search for, Pagers Jackson Mississippi

Check the cell phone dealers in your area too.
cuhulin

Old October 13th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wasen't talking about the kind of Pagers foley likes to play with.
Computers are radios too,every key we peck on on our Rado keyboards,the
signals also fly out into outer Space for ET to pick up.I am watching
Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Radio tb now.Then I am going to
cut the light and get my beautifull sleep.Move over,doggy.
cuhulin

Old October 13th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SR" wrote in message
Beepers are radios.

Beepers can barely (and I mean that in the smallest sense) be considered a
"radio". They are a receiver, but operate FAR from the frequencies that
could even be remotely considered falling into the "shortwave" band...

Thus, not the right group for your request. Even so, I answered it, so be
happy...

Old October 13th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com U.S.Army Two Way Radios

A few years ago,I read that some of them have a range up to about sixty
seven miles.Kind of expensive though.
cuhulin

Old October 14th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 00:05:39 -0400, SR wrote:

First let me said this: I do not need or care for a cell phone. Their
too expensive and I find counting minutes a nuance.

When I go online, my telephone line is busy. So I want to have a beeper
so that my brother can call the beeper, once I get the beep, I can then
call him back.

Get the cell phones with a prepaid service that will last for a year
once you put some money in. Then your brother phones and lets the
phone ring twice and hangs up.

Tony
Old October 14th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Phone twice and then hang up.Back in the 1950's my family had a phone
code.Let the phone ring twice and hang up and let it ring again,that way
we knew it was from a family member.When someone went to a city far
enough away that it was long distance and we wanted to know if they got
there ok.Phone and ask for someone by a different name.Is Leroy there?
No he isn't here.
cuhulin

Old October 14th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Tony VE6MVP wrote:
Get the cell phones with a prepaid service that will last for a year
once you put some money in. Then your brother phones and lets the
phone ring twice and hangs up.

You can also send SMS messages from ICQ for free. If your plan charges
you for incoming SMS messages, you will have to pay your SP's fee.

If you have a Linux (or similar) system, you can find a program that
will send the messages for you without a phone via a command line. That
way you can do all sorts of interesting things, include an email to SMS
gateway, send you messages at specific times, follow an RSS feed and SMS
you messages, etc.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/