Old October 25th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ed Ed is offline

Default Adaepters for car stereo to shortwave

I thought this was kind of interesting, I do spend alot of time driving
and cannot stand 98% of local radio broadcasts.
I don't know the quality of this particular manufacturer.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-306

Old October 25th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Don't mean to disagreeable....but MFJ stuff is well known for quality
control problems.
Go over to eham.net and read reviews on just about anything MFJ.

I have to give them credit for the wide array of stuff they offer. I
have owned many MFJ devices over the years and except for one manual
antenna tuner - it's all been pretty disappointing.

I would look at other options, if any exist.

Lisa Simpson wrote:
MFJ's stuff is usally pretty good . . .

oups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

MFJ....

Mighty Fine Junk....

That's one of the nicer things I've heard...

Go to http://www.eham.net/reviews/ and check the comments on any MFJ
product.

For less money you can buy a better radio.

Old October 25th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I would have to agree with Wavetrapper based on the construction quality of
my 1020-C. Would the manual antenna tuner you refer to be a 16010? Mine is
built like a tank!

Lisa Simpson wrote:
MFJ's stuff is usally pretty good . . .

oups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 24 Oct 2006 16:19:42 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

I thought this was kind of interesting, I do spend alot of time driving
and cannot stand 98% of local radio broadcasts.
I don't know the quality of this particular manufacturer.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-306

If you're in North America you can get a Sirius radio and
subscription.

Old October 25th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ed wrote:

I don't want sirius radio.

You'll have to forgive Rickets, he's not quite all there..

Old October 25th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My MFJ-1026 isn't exactly tanklike, but it works really well...I can
smudge out any single offending local noise source with ease...

....And with about ten more plus a spiderweb of aerial wire, I can zapp
*all* the noise that wrecks reception around here ;-)

Bruce Jensen
****************

Lisa Simpson wrote:
MFJ's stuff is usally pretty good . . .

oups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ed wrote:
I thought this was kind of interesting, I do spend alot of time driving
and cannot stand 98% of local radio broadcasts.
I don't know the quality of this particular manufacturer.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-306

The only comments I remember reading about shortwave converters were
not very good. Poor reception, lots of adjacent signal interference,
etc. Additionally, tuning the shortwave bands may be a real pita
unless you happen to have an analog am radio. Most cars come equipped
with digital radios having 10khz channel separation. Consequently band
tuning for stations will involve punching up a frquency on the AM
receiver and tuning back and forth with the clarifier dial on the
converter while driving down the highway at 65mph.

You would be better off trying to find one of the increasingly rare
after market radios designed to receive shortwave. I believe Sony
still makes one. But count on only getting strong signals at night.