Old November 8th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony 7600gr newbie questions

I have just ordered a Sony 7600gr after having a bad first experience
with another radio that wasn't all that great. I decided on this model
after reading a lot of the industry and consumer reviews, and -- more
importantly -- reading a lot of the suggestions on this message board.
If anyone can help me with a few basic questions, it would be greatly
appreciated!

Is there any difference between using a power cord and using batteries?

In trying to boost reception on my first radio, I relied on a longwire
antenna. Can this be used to boost the AM reception on the 7600gr too?
Or are there better suggestions for an antenna -- if one is even
suggested.

Any quirks that I should be aware of also would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to getting the 7600gr, so thanx for all the great
information on these boards!

Jim

Old November 8th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi Jim:

I have a SONY ICF SW7600GR and enjoy it. As with most portables, It's
best to use batteries. I use rechargables in mine and they work great
lasting around 30+ of play hours before recharging is necessary.

Some helpful hints: The RF attenuator works on both AM and FM. If you
live in a city, you may need to attenuate the FM to avoid overloading
and unwanted images.

You'll love the sync detect for AM. It allows you to dratically reduce
interference from strong stations when listening to weak ones on a
nearby frequency. For example; if you are trying to listen to a signal
on 1200 KHz and there is an interfereing one on 1210 KHz, switch the
set to lower sideband and turn on the sync detect. The interference
from 1210 KHz virtually vanishes! If there is an interfereing signal on
1190 KHz, switch to upper sideband with sync detect on.

The SONY ICF SW7600GR has pretty good sensitivity on MW, but not
excellent. It's a coat-pocket size set and obviously doesn't sport a
big internal ferrite bar for MW. However, place it in the circumfrence
of a proximate loop and its MW sensitivity becomes supercharged and
will hear just about anything out there!

The SONY ICF SW7600GR does quite well on SW. I use mine with the
optional SONY AN-LP1 amplified SW loop antenna. That combination works
quite well. You can use a long-wire as well.

The audio is good for a radio of its size. But if you want bigger
sound, you can feed it into an amplified speaker system or just listen
through headphones. Speaking of headphones; the FM stereo simply sounds
awesome through good headphones with this receiver. I find that there
is a bit of amplifier hiss heard through good headphones, but most good
headsets have an in-line volume control which one can reduce slightly
to make the hiss unnoticeable.

Hope that helps,

Wayne

Old November 8th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"jamman" wrote

Is there any difference between using a power cord and using batteries?

The proper power supply for Sony radios are expensive - $100. (I have one)
In my experience using both batteries and the Sony power supply, the power
supply is excellent.

In trying to boost reception on my first radio, I relied on a longwire
antenna. Can this be used to boost the AM reception on the 7600gr too?

No.
For shortwave consider the Sony AN-LP1 antenna. Highly recommended but
currently hard to find.

Or are there better suggestions for an antenna -- if one is even
suggested.

I use a the Terk AM Advantage loop with excellent results.
Cradle the 7600GR inside the Terk loop.

Any quirks that I should be aware of also would be greatly appreciated.

None. It is the best portable shortwave receiver in its class, period.

Old November 9th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Wayne wrote:
Hi Jim:

I have a SONY ICF SW7600GR and enjoy it. As with most portables, It's
best to use batteries. I use rechargables in mine and they work great
lasting around 30+ of play hours before recharging is necessary.

If you need to turn up the volume like I always did at work then expect
20-25 hours. You'll know when its time to change batteries as it'll
just shut off instead of getting quieter.

Some helpful hints: The RF attenuator works on both AM and FM. If you
live in a city, you may need to attenuate the FM to avoid overloading
and unwanted images.

Very good advice.

You'll love the sync detect for AM. It allows you to dratically reduce
interference from strong stations when listening to weak ones on a
nearby frequency. For example; if you are trying to listen to a signal
on 1200 KHz and there is an interfereing one on 1210 KHz, switch the
set to lower sideband and turn on the sync detect. The interference
from 1210 KHz virtually vanishes! If there is an interfereing signal on
1190 KHz, switch to upper sideband with sync detect on.

This is the best thing about the 7600GR!

The SONY ICF SW7600GR has pretty good sensitivity on MW, but not
excellent. It's a coat-pocket size set and obviously doesn't sport a
big internal ferrite bar for MW. However, place it in the circumfrence
of a proximate loop and its MW sensitivity becomes supercharged and
will hear just about anything out there!

A loop wiill help on MW, though it is quite sensitive on its own (but
no match for an RF-2200). Very selective with the synch so that'll
help.

The SONY ICF SW7600GR does quite well on SW. I use mine with the
optional SONY AN-LP1 amplified SW loop antenna. That combination works
quite well. You can use a long-wire as well.

Definitely find an AN-LP1. Much better than using a wire on SW here.
Worth the money.

The audio is good for a radio of its size. But if you want bigger
sound, you can feed it into an amplified speaker system or just listen
through headphones. Speaking of headphones; the FM stereo simply sounds
awesome through good headphones with this receiver. I find that there
is a bit of amplifier hiss heard through good headphones, but most good
headsets have an in-line volume control which one can reduce slightly
to make the hiss unnoticeable.

I really don't like the audio from its speaker at all, but if you are
using it at home you can indeed use a speaker system.

Wayne

Wayne knows what he's talking about, all good stuff.

Any quirks that I should be aware of also would be greatly appreciated.

This may not count as a quirk, but I found that the 7600GR makes a
terrible bedside radio. The tiny switches on the side need a firm push
to move and there are too many buttons to accidently hit when trying to
change memory frequencies, all of which require getting up to play with
the radio instead of relaxing with it. The Sleep Timer is nice,
though.

Jim

Old November 10th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

justice wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Hi Jim:

I have a SONY ICF SW7600GR and enjoy it. As with most portables, It's
best to use batteries. I use rechargables in mine and they work great
lasting around 30+ of play hours before recharging is necessary.

If you need to turn up the volume like I always did at work then expect
20-25 hours. You'll know when its time to change batteries as it'll
just shut off instead of getting quieter.

What Sony does is they drain the batteries down to something like 0.6V,
then cut off the radio operation so that the battery retains the
memory. This puts a strain on rechargable batteries that are not
supposed to be drained below 0.9V.

Old November 23rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The 7600GR, if you just leave it around for a month or so running its
clock, will badly wobble the weakest cell, which will be reverse-charged
by the stronger cells, if you use rechargeables (which everybody does).

Replace the batteries very regularly even if you don't play it.

I can generally revive the weakest cell using an old charger to
start it off, and then cycling it in a modern charger a few times,
but it would be better not to let the other cells get to it at all.

It's not a matter of running the voltage down to .6V, but that by
that time, the weakest cell is already charged backwards by the others.

--
Ron Hardin

Old November 23rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ron Hardin wrote:
The 7600GR, if you just leave it around for a month or so running its
clock, will badly wobble the weakest cell, which will be reverse-charged
by the stronger cells, if you use rechargeables (which everybody does).

Replace the batteries very regularly even if you don't play it.

I can generally revive the weakest cell using an old charger to
start it off, and then cycling it in a modern charger a few times,
but it would be better not to let the other cells get to it at all.

It's not a matter of running the voltage down to .6V, but that by
that time, the weakest cell is already charged backwards by the others.

--
Ron Hardin

Actually, both issues are something to worry about. The radio is
designed for alkaline cells AND to use them to retain memory settings.
This scheme works fine, but will overdischarge secondary cells.

Old November 24th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default So You Want To Buy A - Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Shortwave Loop Antenna

On Nov 8, 7:49 am, "snoopy" wrote:
"jamman" wrote

Is there any difference between using a power cord and using batteries?The proper power supply for Sony radios are expensive - $100. (I have one)

In my experience using both batteries and the Sony power supply, the power
supply is excellent.

In trying to boost reception on my first radio, I relied on a longwire
antenna. Can this be used to boost the AM reception on the 7600gr too?No.

- For shortwave consider the Sony AN-LP1 antenna.
- Highly recommended but currently hard to find.

Snoopy & Jamman,

These are 8 of the Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antennas
currently available via eBay offered by a Seller in Japan.

Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna - eBay Listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160052529512
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-AN-LP1-Port...mZ160052529512

eBay Seller - SmartImports
http://myworld.ebay.com/smartimports/
eBay Member since : Jan-31-00
Seller's Location : Japan

NOTE - They have a Buy-It-Now Price of US$89
plus US$15 for S&H from Japan to the USA.

INFO - Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ff02435e395f22

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...fbd42e96abbbb8

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...705b787de4ee41

READ - Using the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna
with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...71f5107eef0b02

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...71f5107eef0b02

TIP - Using an External LongWire {Random Wire} Antenna
with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio

READ - "Three Ways to Use the 'Portable Wire Antenna' (PWA)"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/306
Works well with the Sony ICF-2010 and will work well with the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR too; and many other 'portable' SW Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1728
How-To-Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) with many
'portable' AM/FM Shorwave Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/3046

READ - Sony ICF-SW7600GR a few External Antenna Options
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1088

READ - Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio and Sony AN-LP1 {SW}
and Select-A-Tenna {AM/MW} Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/5870

hope this helps - it's christmas time - shop early ~ RHF
and be sure to buy a shortwave radio of antenna for yourself )
..
Shortwave Listener Antennas = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Old November 24th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Here is another Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna
- eBay Listing from Japan
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ130050864985
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-AN-LP1-Port...mZ130050864985

There are 4 of the Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antennas
currently available via eBay offered by another Seller in Japan.

eBay Seller - "BuyFromJapan" = http://myworld.ebay.com/buyfromjapan/
eBay Member since : Apr-28-02
Seller's Location : Japan

Again - TheSony AN-LP1 Antennas have a Buy-It-Now Price
of US$89 plus US$15 for S&H from Japan to the USA.

that's all folks - iane ~ RHF