Old November 18th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch active antenna

I'm thinking about using this antenna for a condo I bought in San Diego
recently. There is insufficient space for a decent wire antenna and I
know I can sneak this up on the roof without any issues. It would
probably be mounted on a pole about 5 feet above the flat roof surface
with feedline down the outside of the building and into the window.
There are no high rises or structures that will be higher than the
antenna in the immediate area. The nearest power lines are about 65
feet away, however, this is pretty much an suburban area with the usual
load of computers, TVs and other RFI generators. What experiences has
anyone had with this antenna in a similar situation? Thanks for any

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

Old November 18th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
wrote:

I'm thinking about using this antenna for a condo I bought in San Diego
recently. There is insufficient space for a decent wire antenna and I
know I can sneak this up on the roof without any issues. It would
probably be mounted on a pole about 5 feet above the flat roof surface
with feedline down the outside of the building and into the window.
There are no high rises or structures that will be higher than the
antenna in the immediate area. The nearest power lines are about 65
feet away, however, this is pretty much an suburban area with the usual
load of computers, TVs and other RFI generators. What experiences has
anyone had with this antenna in a similar situation? Thanks for any

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

Frank, I use the H-100 in my attic here in W. Central Fla. I have the
one with BNC connections. It performs pretty well with my NRD-525 for
broadcast, ute, and ham reception, but it's not a DX-er, at least not
the way I have it set up. It performs especially well on the medium
wave BCB. Locating it above the roof as you described should give you
better performance.

I did have local noise interference at particular spots along the
spectrum. I picked up a used ANC-4 and it works like magic to eliminate
most noise interference.

I think you will like the H-100.

Happy listening,

Greg
Old November 19th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 17 Nov 2006 18:32:07 -0800, wrote:

I'm thinking about using this antenna for a condo I bought in San Diego
recently. There is insufficient space for a decent wire antenna and I
know I can sneak this up on the roof without any issues. It would
probably be mounted on a pole about 5 feet above the flat roof surface
with feedline down the outside of the building and into the window.
There are no high rises or structures that will be higher than the
antenna in the immediate area. The nearest power lines are about 65
feet away, however, this is pretty much an suburban area with the usual
load of computers, TVs and other RFI generators. What experiences has
anyone had with this antenna in a similar situation? Thanks for any

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

I am using an H-800 at my condo here in Oceanside, CA. It's working
relatively well despite its size. I have it connected to a Ten Tec
RX-320D "black box" receiver. I also have a RF Systems "Mini Windom"
antenna which is connected to a Kenwood R-2000 (via a now discontinued
Palomar Engineers PA-360 pre-amp/LPF-HPF/attenuator). I bought the
H-800 from LF Engineering and the Mini Windom from Universal Radio
Inc.

I also have an MFJ-1786 HF loop which I use in conjunction with my
transceiver. I am contemplating switching the H-800 for a higher
performing H-900 being that both antennas are co-located. The H-900 is
an improved performance model that is exclusively sold through Grove
Enterprises (Monitoring Times).

All three are physically small and they are stealthily installed on my
balcony. In addition to keeping them discrete from condo management, I
also had to keep them discrete for my wife... another form of
management ;-)

With regards to noise, the basic rule still applies: place you antenna
as far as possible from noise sources. In my case, I did what I could
and reluctantly accept the interference I still receive (not much
choice when you are in a condo). The main noise culprits are
computers, dimmers and TV. Unfortunately, I have all three of these.

______________________

The Traveller
Oceanside, California
Old November 19th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF - Your mounting idea was exactly what I was thinking of! I used
this technique in the distant past for a 2M J-pole antenna and it
worked well until they decided to re-roof the condo. All that was left
with a cut end of the coax! That should not be a problem here since it
is only an 8 unit complex and relatively few are home during the day.
I'm going to "RF probe" the roof on my next trip over in December and
see what results. At least the lead-in will come down in a very
"vegetated" area on the alley side of the place where no one will
notice. I've noticed the H-900 on Grove but wonder what the advantages
are over the H-800. If it is better at overloading and IP3 I just may
go with it despite the extra expense. I am tending away from a wire
arrangement due to the larger surface are and the horizontal
orientation over the roof and added noise pickup as such.

Frank
Tucson

RHF wrote:
On Nov 18, 4:55 am, "Steve" wrote:
wrote:
I'm thinking about using this antenna for a condo I bought in San Diego
recently. There is insufficient space for a decent wire antenna and I
know I can sneak this up on the roof without any issues. It would
probably be mounted on a pole about 5 feet above the flat roof surface
with feedline down the outside of the building and into the window.
There are no high rises or structures that will be higher than the
antenna in the immediate area. The nearest power lines are about 65
feet away, however, this is pretty much an suburban area with the usual
load of computers, TVs and other RFI generators. What experiences has
anyone had with this antenna in a similar situation? Thanks for any

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

- Have you walked around on the roof with a portable to see
- what it's like up there noise-wise?
- I'd do that before ordering the H-800.

- I like the H-800, but are you sure there's no way to get
- a decent wire up there? Maybe a small loop, or a wire
- sloping from the roof to a support on the ground?
-
- Steve

Steve - Good RFI Sniffing Idea.

Frank -IF- You already have the LF Engineering H-800
Skymatch Active Antenna then take an extra 50 Foot
piece of Coax Cable and connect then all together to
your Receiver and then do the RF Sniffing with the H800
for the RFI Hot-Spots and Low Noise Areas.

Mounting the H800 about 5 Feet above the Roof is about
all that you can do without making it 'stand-out' as an
Item-for-Discussion at the next Condo Owners Association
Meeting . . .
* Take a 5 Foot piece of PVC Pipe that Telescopes over
an available Vent Pipe coming out of the Roof.
* Mount the bottom 3"-6" of the H800 by inserting and
rigging it into the Top-End of the PVC Pipe with the
Coax Cable going down the Center of the PVC Pipe.
* Drill a 5/8" Hole about and Inch above the top of
the Vent Pipe for the Coax Cable to come out of the
PVC Pipe.
This can give the H800 that "Stealth-Look"

just my two cents worth - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Old November 19th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Frank,

IIRC - The LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna
has a PVC Pipe Body and a Second Rubberize 4"-6" Sleave
at the bottom of the Active Antenna Element for Mounting.
* Therefore the Antenna itself is not directly grounded and
receives it's Grounding from/via the Coax Cable's outer-shield.
* This is why the use of a piece of PVC Pipe is an OK Idea
for a short Mast with the H800/H900 Antennas. Where-as
with most Active Antennas a well Grounded Metal Mast is
the preferred method of Mounting and Rigging the Antenna.
* Should RFI / EMF {Man-Made-Noise} be a problem with
the LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna : Then
running a separate Ground Wire up to the BNC Connector
at the bottom-end of the Active Antenna Element and using
a Hose Clamp to secure the Ground Wire to the outer-ring
of the BNC Connector -may- help in Noise Reduction.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF