Old December 12th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sbo sbo is offline

Default Questions of a very beginner.

Hello,

I have bought a week ago a SONY ICF 7600GR in a famous shop here in
Paris.

I live in an appartment at the 4th floor; the closest wall is at 30
meters.

I would like to know how to improve the reception thanks to the
antenna.

For now, the best results i could get were by using an electrical cable
linked to a drainpipe; not very professional, i know, but thanks to
this archaic system i can daily receive many radio stations from
europa, and even china.

What do you think i should do to improve reception ? And is thi
temporary system OK ?

Should i buy an antenna ? And if yes, which one could suit my needs ?

Thanks in advance.

PS : I feel quite sad tonight because everywhere i look on the
internet, it seems that SW are dying. Radio stations close, people do
not buy anymore radios, etc.
What do you think ?

Old December 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

sbo wrote :
Hello,

Bonjour !

I have bought a week ago a SONY ICF 7600GR in a famous shop here in
Paris.

La FNAC I bet... ;-)

I live in an appartment at the 4th floor; the closest wall is at 30
meters.

I would like to know how to improve the reception thanks to the
antenna.

For now, the best results i could get were by using an electrical cable
linked to a drainpipe; not very professional, i know, but thanks to
this archaic system i can daily receive many radio stations from
europa, and even china.

If it works, why not ? China is transmitting with quite a power, so you
could get it off the whip for sure, if the walls of your building are
not made of steel & concrete... Are you living in a recent building or
an old one from the 19th century ?

How high is your building ? Do you have access to the roof ? An external
wire (if allowed) hanging down from the roof can be a very good
solution, but you will also get the electrical noise from the TV sets
nearby and the like.

What do you think i should do to improve reception ? And is thi
temporary system OK ?

Should i buy an antenna ? And if yes, which one could suit my needs ?

In a city like Paris I would suggest a loop antenna (good sensitivy and
low electrical noise). Check the group archives for names/brands or
"do-it-yourself" models.

I personnaly use a small SONY AN-LP1 active loop antenna with good
result : better signals that my 10 meters external wire antenna with a
Sangean 909 (one of the main competitor of the Sony 7600GR) and a Sony
ICF-SW100 radio.

Thanks in advance.

Mais de rien... C'est avec plaisir.

PS : I feel quite sad tonight because everywhere i look on the
internet, it seems that SW are dying. Radio stations close, people do
not buy anymore radios, etc.
What do you think ?

We still have some to listen to. I like for instance to listen at IRIB
(Radio Teheran), Radio Cairo, KOL Israel etc. to get the local point of
view regarding the middle-east situation. I even get sometimes Radio
Australia... but sometimes only...

Charly
(Proche de Saint-Germain-en-Laye)
Old December 13th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sbo sbo is offline

Charly a écrit :

If it works, why not ? China is transmitting with quite a power, so you
could get it off the whip for sure, if the walls of your building are
not made of steel & concrete... Are you living in a recent building or
an old one from the 19th century ?

I live a very old building (probably one of the oldest of Paris);
(large stone walls).

How high is your building ? Do you have access to the roof ? An external
wire (if allowed) hanging down from the roof can be a very good
solution, but you will also get the electrical noise from the TV sets
nearby and the like.

My building is 6 floors high; i live at the 4th floor; i do not have
access so the roof; but i guess i could use again the drainpipe and a
PVC tube to drive my antena verticaly, and discretely ...

Another problem is, as soon as i use the external antena, i get a
terrible electrical noise on all frequencies. This does not come from
my devices at home ...

What do you think i should do to improve reception ? And is thi
temporary system OK ?

Should i buy an antenna ? And if yes, which one could suit my needs ?

In a city like Paris I would suggest a loop antenna (good sensitivy and
low electrical noise). Check the group archives for names/brands or
"do-it-yourself" models.

I personnaly use a small SONY AN-LP1 active loop antenna with good
result : better signals that my 10 meters external wire antenna with a

OK; i take note of it.

Thank you for your great help !

Kind regards,

Stephane.

Old December 14th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

sbo a écrit :
[...]
Stephane.

Hello Stephane,

Did you get my email ???

Charly
Old December 15th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ngu ngu is offline

I'm just like you with the same radio, except that I live in an
apartment in Hong Kong. I made a simple outdoor antenna as follows.

I got a few metres of insulated wire (salvaged from discarded electrical
appliance), mounted it outside the window to run horizontally on the
outer wall of the building, by tying one end of the wire to the window
frame of another room in the apartment, and the other end clipped to my
radio.

Results are good. No problem with the major stations. I even picked up
Radio New Zealand International whose signal is more intended for
Oceania rather than Asia.

Remember to disconnect the wire in a thunder storm, though.

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Antenna questions from Beginner Birderman Shortwave 2 September 6th 03 12:51 AM