Old December 20th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default why Bother getting a licence to use a GMRS radio?

An intelligent person obeys the law. Those who lack intelligence occupy
our prisons.

Really? I have heard it stated that the average prison IQ of inmates is
MUCH higher than in the general population of the USA. You claim that
is a myth?

JS
Old December 20th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
An intelligent and ethical person will not obey an unethical or immoral
law. Prison or not.

Bruce Jensen

A stupid imbecile will do the same, is there an difference?

JS
Old January 25th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

Does the FCC think that people will actually pay $75 bucks for a
licence when u can use a gmrs without one and not get caught.
How can they catch you if you don't give out your name on the radio and
make up call letters?

As a ham operator,I can point out people who get busted all the time.
Believe me, they will find you.

Old January 25th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 25, 10:02 pm, "Sarge" wrote:
Does the FCC think that people will actually pay $75 bucks for a
licence when u can use a gmrs without one and not get caught.
How can they catch you if you don't give out your name on the radio and
make up call letters?As a ham operator,I can point out people who get busted all the time.

Believe me, they will find you.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I just looked through the FCC's
list of busts, fines
and other non fun things. Several hams got nailed, but it takes years
even for that, several
broadcasters for various and most often stupily silly offenses. But I
couldn't find a single
instance of anyone getting nailed for using GMRS or MURS without a
license.

Could you please provide cites of the "people who get busted all the
time"?
Thank you

Operating without a required license is illegal. Neglecting to pay a
parking meter is
also illegal. I don't see either as a moral or ethical quagmire. As
that famed child
actor said; "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". Although to
be fair I suspect
it should be "Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine". The FCC
sure looks like
a money raising operation.

Somehow I figure the chances of getting the FCC to even look into GMRS
or MURS
violations to be on the order of picking winning lottery numbers.

When I add in the fact that every enforcement action I have read about
has a cease
and desist warning before the fines begin.

For me it isn't a big deal. I value my ham license and wouldn't want to
place it
at risk. But here in the Lexington KY area I hear very little traffic
on GMRS and
I have enver heard any on MURS. I use my ham radios with hams, and FRS
for everyone else. Although one stormy night before my wife had her
license
we were towing a friends AirStream and ran into deep water. I had 2
IC-2ATs
with me and gave one to her and I lead the way. Illegal? Yes. Life and
property
safey issue? Yes! I decided to take the ever so slight risk of a pink
ticket
and save our friends home. Dumb? Yes as a rock. Had I checked the
weather
I would have picked another route. My wife was driving the truck, much
better
at it then me, but given the one lane road with no good place to turn
around,
we had to press on. Lossing my license was the least of my worries that
"Dark and Stormy Night". It did prompt my wife to get her license. And
somehow
I really doubt if I managed to hurt anyone, interferr with any comms as
I picked
an out of the way freq and we ran low power into smaller(then stock)
stubby duckies.

That is why I have 3 FRS with spare batteries in the car these days.

Terry

Old January 28th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 28, 2:53 am, "General Mobile Radio Service |nformation"
wrote:
"Sarge" wrote :

Does the FCC think that people will actually pay $75 bucks for a
licence when u can use a gmrs without one and not get caught.
How can they catch you if you don't give out your name on the radio and
make up call letters?

As a ham operator,I can point out people who get busted all the time.
Believe me, they will find you.They don't learn. They get warned all the time. Then when they get

caught, they just cry and say "i didn't know".

Can you or someone provide a direct link to FCC busts on GMRS or MURS?
I must be searching wrong, because I could find no busts. Heck it is
very
hard to get the FCC to act in cases of deliberate interferene on the
ham bands.
And I guess you would have to run a gazillion watts before the FCC
would take
any action on 11M CB these days.

The FCC is not a rules enforcement agency these days, it is a
frequency broker.
The whole move to HDTV is so the old NTSC freqs can be auctioned off
to the
highest bidder. The FCC is so busy selling freqs they have little to
no time
for most enforcement actions. Sad but true.

And I think the FCC has given up on technical standards for TV,
regardless of
ATSC or NTSC, it all sucks big time. Black in NTSC should be 7.5IRE,
all of the
local stations run black levels from 0 to at least 20. Synchronous
switching,
in a dream. If the FCC can't/won't enforce the most basic TV
standards, violations
of which used to create serious lissues for TV stations, I suspect you
would have
to threaten an important politico, interferr with a public safety
(fire or PD) or show
a bare boob during the superbowl to get any attention from the FCC.

I will ask again, can someone provide links to the massive busts of
unlicensed
GMRS bootleggers or MURS?

Terry

Old January 29th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

"General Mobile Radio Service |nformation" wrote in
message ...
"Sarge" wrote in :

Does the FCC think that people will actually pay $75 bucks for a
licence when u can use a gmrs without one and not get caught.
How can they catch you if you don't give out your name on the radio and
make up call letters?

As a ham operator,I can point out people who get busted all the time.
Believe me, they will find you.

They don't learn. They get warned all the time. Then when they get
caught, they just cry and say "i didn't know".

for sure. They can hide but not for long. Once the FCC has your scent,
you're a dead duck.

Old January 30th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

"Sarge" wrote in :

Does the FCC think that people will actually pay $75 bucks for a
licence when u can use a gmrs without one and not get caught.
How can they catch you if you don't give out your name on the radio and
make up call letters?

As a ham operator,I can point out people who get busted all the time.
Believe me, they will find you.

They don't learn. They get warned all the time. Then when they get
caught, they just cry and say "i didn't know".

for sure. They can hide but not for long. Once the FCC has your scent,
you're a dead duck.

Yeah, and those GMRS radios smell really bad. What chance do you think
the FCC will have catching someone running around with a hand held? Not
very good.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 31st 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

"Telamon" wrote in message
Yeah, and those GMRS radios smell really bad. What chance do you think
the FCC will have catching someone running around with a hand held? Not
very good.

well you'll have licensed operators turning you in along with tape
recordings, signal strength reports, freqs and repeaters you frequent along
with times. The FCC will be armed with a lot of info before they start. Then
it won't take long. After the fiasco with CB, they are a determined bunch.

Old April 4th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

Truth is that it takes a fair amount of complaints, from credible users,
about egregious radio behavior - not just a kid with .5W radio playing
calltones - before the FCC acts. The FCC field enforcement folks just have
too much to do to chase everyone.

For years, they've relied on amateurs to self-police their bands and only
turn to the FCC when the offender will not take the advice to knock it off
or change their ways. It took the FCC 5 years to get down on jack
Gerritsen - even after he disrupted the LA PD radio systems.

However, ham operators should not put their amateur licenses in jeopardy by
operating unlicensed GMRS.. They are expected to know better.

Licenses are now $80 (and going up next year?). It's no wonder the
retailers would rather a prospective consumer not know they will need a
license. I keep hearing Wally-Wonder-Radio ($8/hour 'salespeople') in
Best-Buy and Wal*Mart tell folks that: "Oh, you no longer need the license.
The airwaves are now free."

==========
.._._.

"Sarge" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message
Yeah, and those GMRS radios smell really bad. What chance do you think
the FCC will have catching someone running around with a hand held? Not
very good.

well you'll have licensed operators turning you in along with tape
recordings, signal strength reports, freqs and repeaters you frequent
along with times. The FCC will be armed with a lot of info before they
start. Then it won't take long. After the fiasco with CB, they are a
determined bunch.

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
214 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (09-APR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 April 10th 04 06:59 PM