Old April 4th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

Default why Bother getting a licence to use a GMRS radio?

"NEWNEWS" wrote in
t:

Licenses are now $80 (and going up next year?). It's no wonder the
retailers would rather a prospective consumer not know they will need
a license. I keep hearing Wally-Wonder-Radio ($8/hour 'salespeople')
in Best-Buy and Wal*Mart tell folks that: "Oh, you no longer need the
license. The airwaves are now free."

A GMRS license now costs $85. It went up a few months ago.
Old April 4th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

Get their name, and buy one. You can then claim fraud and settle out of
court for $$$...

--
William Baldwin, Jr
MBA HCM program at the Univ of Phoenix

"NEWNEWS" wrote in message
t...
Truth is that it takes a fair amount of complaints, from credible users,
about egregious radio behavior - not just a kid with .5W radio playing
calltones - before the FCC acts. The FCC field enforcement folks just
have too much to do to chase everyone.

For years, they've relied on amateurs to self-police their bands and only
turn to the FCC when the offender will not take the advice to knock it off
or change their ways. It took the FCC 5 years to get down on jack
Gerritsen - even after he disrupted the LA PD radio systems.

However, ham operators should not put their amateur licenses in jeopardy
by operating unlicensed GMRS.. They are expected to know better.

Licenses are now $80 (and going up next year?). It's no wonder the
retailers would rather a prospective consumer not know they will need a
license. I keep hearing Wally-Wonder-Radio ($8/hour 'salespeople') in
Best-Buy and Wal*Mart tell folks that: "Oh, you no longer need the
license. The airwaves are now free."

==========
._._.

"Sarge" wrote in message

"Telamon" wrote in message
Yeah, and those GMRS radios smell really bad. What chance do you think
the FCC will have catching someone running around with a hand held? Not
very good.

well you'll have licensed operators turning you in along with tape
recordings, signal strength reports, freqs and repeaters you frequent
along with times. The FCC will be armed with a lot of info before they
start. Then it won't take long. After the fiasco with CB, they are a
determined bunch.

Old April 8th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

"WILLIAM BALDWIN JR" wrote in
news
seems to me, they would make more money by lowering it to at least $40
or so. People might actually be tempted to pay it.

Instead they raise it about $5 a year. I really wonder if they actually
expect folks to pay.
Old April 8th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 8, 11:05 am, John wrote:
"WILLIAM BALDWIN JR" wrote innews
seems to me, they would make more money by lowering it to at least $40
or so. People might actually be tempted to pay it.

Instead they raise it about $5 a year. I really wonder if they actually
expect folks to pay.

I know lots of people with walkie-talkies, and don't know of a single
one ever mentioning that they have a license.

Don't see the point in bothering. It's just a way for the FCC to
collect money on something they can't feasibly regulate anyway.

Old April 9th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

"Invader3K" wrote in
ups.com:

I know lots of people with walkie-talkies, and don't know of a single
one ever mentioning that they have a license.

Don't see the point in bothering. It's just a way for the FCC to
collect money on something they can't feasibly regulate anyway.

Nonetheless, a license is a requirement. A great many people do get a
license. It's the right thing to do and it is a requirement. You have no
choice.
Old April 9th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 9, 9:56 am, John wrote:

Nonetheless, a license is a requirement. A great many people do get a
license.

Yeah, 5% of a million is still a lot of people, I guess.

It's the right thing to do

Are you making this up as you go along? Prove it. Legality neither
proves nor disproves what is "right."

You have no
choice.

Of course, I do.

Bruce Jensen

Old April 9th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 9, 9:56 am, John wrote:

Nonetheless, a license is a requirement. A great many people do get a
license.

Yeah, 5% of a million is still a lot of people, I guess.

It's the right thing to do

Are you making this up as you go along? Prove it. Legality neither
proves nor disproves what is "right."

There are standars of right and wrong. The point is its illegal to operate
a gmrs radio without a license.

You have no
choice.

Of course, I do.

Bruce Jensen

Yes, you do, you can break the law by operating a gmrs radio without a
license, or comply with the law and get a license to operate. Just because
you don't pay for illegality now, doesn't mean you wont later. If you feel
safe, you're welcome to it. But people that generally don't have regard
enough for the law will turn gmrs into another cb radio band. I for one
don't want to see that and will report people using the radios without a
license.

Old April 9th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.gmrs

If there's 1% compliance, I'd be surprised. The barn door is opened,
I'm afraid and stuck in that position. I was reading this recently:

http://tinyurl.com/ypf46y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 03:48:17 GMT, "NEWNEWS" wrote:

Truth is that it takes a fair amount of complaints, from credible users,
about egregious radio behavior - not just a kid with .5W radio playing
calltones - before the FCC acts. The FCC field enforcement folks just have
too much to do to chase everyone.

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com
Old April 9th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"bpnjensen" ) writes:
On Apr 9, 12:16 pm, "Brian O" wrote:

There are standars of right and wrong. The point is its illegal to operate
a gmrs radio without a license.

And my point is that it is unethical to require an outrageous fee for
a license for this service. That's just as wrong, arguably worse,
than operating wiothout a license.

This has no releveance to rec.radio.shortwave, which is about reception
not transmitting.

It's hardly outrageous, since you get a good number of years on
each license. What you are complaining about is the fact that
it's not an annual license, so per year it would be cheaper. Though
likely it would be higher than the cost per year, since there's be
administrative fees that would run up the yearly license fee.

You think this is only about a fee, and you don't want to pay it,
so it's okay to operate without a license.

But I should point out that in the early days of radio, there
were no licenses, or allocations. INstead, you had a bunch of
different people with different needs all operating in a relatively
small part of the spectrum, because technology hadn't advance enough
to make use of more than a tiny bit of the spectrum. So a ship at
sea sends out an SOS, and can't be received because someone is
broadcasting on that frequency, or the ham down the street
is transmitting.

That's the point where regulations came into effect. They did not
proceed the use of radio, they followed.

So the spectrum started be carved up, allocating to different services
and requiring licenses.

And the rules are to protect existing services, including some that
might be really important in emergencies.

The rules are not just about making sure that broadcast station won't
interfere with that airplane by giving them different parts of the
spectrum, the rules are also about making sure that someone buying
that radio off the back of a truck isn't going to interfere with
that airplane because it puts out spurious signals. The rules
limit what can be sold so junk won't be sold, but the rules also
set things up so that if you did buy something that was illegal
in the first place, you would be tracked down for interfering with
a legit radio service.

So you think you should be able to buy a transceiver off the shelf
and use any old frequency, like the one those ambulances use? That
really is no different than your belief that you shouldn't pay for
a GMRS license because it "costs too much". Because without that
license, you are in the same state as the bozo who buys the transceiver
for a frequency he has no use using, and transmits away without a license
(which he couldn't get anyway because he's not that ambulance) simply
because the rules don't matter.

If you transmit on GMRS without a license, then the rules can't mean
a thing to you since you've already broken the rule that requires
a license to use the band.

Michael

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
214 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (09-APR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 April 10th 04 06:59 PM