Old December 21st 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Will I be able to learn the 7600GR?

HJi. My 7600GR has arrived at home and is still in the box. I'm
concerned that its features will be difficult to use and learn
effectively. I have never had a shortwave radio before and have never
used a synch detector nor an attenuator. Are there full instructions
about these features in the owner's manual? I just want to get as many
stations as possible, using the best tuning methods.

Old December 21st 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dead of night" ) writes:
HJi. My 7600GR has arrived at home and is still in the box. I'm
concerned that its features will be difficult to use and learn
effectively. I have never had a shortwave radio before and have never
used a synch detector nor an attenuator. Are there full instructions
about these features in the owner's manual? I just want to get as many
stations as possible, using the best tuning methods.

There may be a few more controls, but it's not really different
from the average AM/FM radio. Treat it like that to start, and then
when you get used to it, start kicking in the extra features.

I suspect the big difference will be the RF gain control (if it
has one, I don't know, and it may be labelled somewhat differently).
You don't find those on the average AM/FM radio. But, they will
generally only kick in if you turn off the AGC (ie automatic
gain control). Then, you will be able to attenuate strong signals.
The real reason for bringing it up is not because you'll need
to fuss with it at the beginning, but if the AGC inadvertently gets
turned off and the RF gain control is somehow set low, you might
suddenly puzzle over the insensitivity of the radio.

The synchronous detector, you don't need to start with. Get a feel
for tuning stations to begin with, and then try it later. It may require
no real skill to use, I suspect it depends on the specific implementation
in a given radio.

You might even just start with the AM broadcast band, since those
are signals you are used to, and play with the controls. Try to find
a weaker signal adjacent to a strong local station, and see how the
various controls can be manipulated to try to improve the reception
of the weaker signal.

The real trick to shortwave is really, apart from maybe more fading
of the signals, is that shortwave broadcast stations don't use the
same frequency all the time, and radio conditions will affect reception.

So when you find Radio Australia, for example, it won't necessarily be
there later that day. And even if it did, you might not be able to
receive it because of band conditions. Higher frequencies for daytime,
lower frequencies for nighttime.

Michael

Old December 21st 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Get the radio out of the box and turn it on and start playing with
it,that's why you bought the radio,isn't it? Every once in a
while,glance at the owners manual.And ask questions in this news group.
cuhulin

Old December 21st 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dead of night wrote:
HJi. My 7600GR has arrived at home and is still in the box. I'm
concerned that its features will be difficult to use and learn
effectively. I have never had a shortwave radio before and have never
used a synch detector nor an attenuator. Are there full instructions
about these features in the owner's manual? I just want to get as many
stations as possible, using the best tuning methods.

I wouldn't worry too much - the instructions will definately help, plus
you have the resources of all these very bright SWLs. Be happy - you
picked an excellent SW receiver, which I bet, not many first-timers do.
Sony rules !

Old December 22nd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You will have no trouble. Learning curve is pretty easy.

You will rarely use the attenuator.

For synch detect. Simply switch it in when listening to a station in
AM mode. If it helps leave it in, if not switch it out.

The manual will guide you. If you have further questions, post them.

You have a very nice portable radio. Congrats

Old December 22nd 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well, I've been using the 7600 GR for a couple hours now. In fact,
I've gotten 3 hours sleep because I've been up, learning it. I have
never had a radio with direct entry before. I have several pages set up
with different memories: FM music, FM information, and AM talk, news
and information. This is a very sophisticated unit, with a lot of
features, but well thought out and easy to use.
wrote:
dead of night wrote:
wrote:
dead of night wrote:
HJi. My 7600GR has arrived at home and is still in the box. I'm
concerned that its features will be difficult to use and learn
effectively. I have never had a shortwave radio before and have never
used a synch detector nor an attenuator. Are there full instructions
about these features in the owner's manual? I just want to get as many
stations as possible, using the best tuning methods.

I wouldn't worry too much - the instructions will definately help, plus
you have the resources of all these very bright SWLs. Be happy - you
picked an excellent SW receiver, which I bet, not many first-timers do.
Sony rules !

Anyway, I am looking at the box now, still sealed. The radio is
shockingly smaller than I expected. I thought it was going to be the
size of an average Bible, instead, it's as big as a standard envelope.

The size doesn't matter, as long as, the audio is good - Sony, as
usual, packed a lot of excellent electronics into a small package; just
be greatful, you didn't get a Grundig/Tecsun/Eton S350, or similar type
receiver...

Old December 22nd 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
dead of night wrote:
wrote:
dead of night wrote:
[...]

I am glad you are enjoying it. You did get one of the best portable SW
receivers, especially considering price versus features...