Old February 5th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Icom R71: How well does it stack up today?

On Feb 5, 6:22 am, wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:15 am, " wrote:

On Feb 4, 9:04 pm, wrote:

Andy - are you back in the US now? I had an Icom R70 for a while and
loved it despite the weird end of band tuning thing and the
ergonomics. All-in-all I would consider it one of the top "DX
machines". I sent it to a friend of mine in CO to use. My present
collection includes and R-5000, R72, and NRD-525.

I can't figure why my wife's name was in the header on the last two
posts of mine (???)

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

Hi Frank

I'm still living near Dubai working at a college. By the way, I'm from
the UK originally, not the US.

I must admit, I've been very tempted by both the R-5000 and the
NRD-525. I bought an R-5000 on eBay a few years back but it was
faulty. It had great audio, though. I really like the R71 and think I
may spring for an R75 some time soon. Mind you, I was telling you that
about 3 or 4 years ago. Still, I plan to buy one before the supplies
run out as I'd like to get one brand new.

If you had to choose between the 525 and the R-5000, which would you
keep?

Cheers

Andy

This is an extremely hard choice. They are comparable, however, I've
had three NRD-525's and two had the classic "JRC hiss" while the
present one is very quiet and clean audio wise. Despite being good
receivers the hiss was very annoying so I unloaded the first two. This
is my first R-5000 and it's a top notch receiver. It probably has the
best xtal filters of any radio I've had. I did upgrade the 6 kHz AM
filter (Inrad) and added the 500 Hz CW filter. I actually prefer it
over the R75 that I had only from a "feel" standpoint. The R75 was an
excellent performer but I tend to be a "knobulator!" The bottom line
is I think it would be a personal choice. Get both of them and let me
know which one you like best! I also like the R72 I have despite the
lack of advanced features. Very solid, simple receiver similar to the
FRG-100 but it doesn't have the local FM intermod problem that made my
FRG-100s rather useless in this location.

Frank- Hide quoted text -

I've often thought about getting another R-5000. I only had mine for
about 3 or 4 days but it had a bad connection somewhere, which caused
the sensitivity to drop intermittently, and bad key-bounce. If I could
find a perfect one running off 240 V, I think I'd be sorely tempted.
The audio was the best I've heard and made for really pleasant
listening.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

The bad connection on the R5000 may be the 6khz filter not getting a
good connection. The one I have had that problem when I got it. Took
the top off & poked around some & was able to find it.

73, Ken KG4BIG

Old February 6th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 5, 4:57 am, wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:41 pm, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:

wrote:
I've often thought about getting another R-5000. I only had mine for
about 3 or 4 days but it had a bad connection somewhere, which caused
the sensitivity to drop intermittently, and bad key-bounce. If I could
find a perfect one running off 240 V, I think I'd be sorely tempted.
The audio was the best I've heard and made for really pleasant
listening.

You need to be careful. There were two versions sold. One was 120 volt
ONLY, and the other was a multivoltage unit with a switch in the back.

My 1991 vintage U.S. purchased R5000 is 120 volt only. In my Universal
catalog from 1993, they were selling only the multivoltage unit. In 1996
when I started packing up to move here, I called Universal asking if
they could modify it to 220 volts and was asked "aren't all of them
multivoltage?".

They could not modify it, but it has lived happily here on 230 volts
connected to a 200 "watt" continuous duty transformer for the last
10 years.

The clock does not seem to be affected. I assume it is not dependent
upon the power line frequency.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Hi Geoff

Good point. The one I bought from eBay was 120 volt only, so I was a
bit unhappy that I spent good money on a transformer only to send the
radio back within days.

On a different note, how common is the key bounce? Do most units end
up suffering in the long term?

Cheers

Andy- Hide quoted text -

Andy - the R-5000 I have has "mild" key bounce which is not a problem
if you just hit the key solidly and don't hold you finger on it. I
don't find it much of an issue. This particular radio must a have
lived in a damper part of the country because there is light corrosion
on many of the internal pcb screws and some of the metal parts. If any
hydroscopic materials had moisture in them when I got the radio they
have long since dried out in this Arizona air! Despite the minor
cosmetic blemishes which is probably why I got it for so cheap on
Ebay, it's a fabulous performer. I modified the notch filter so it
operates in CW mode (the "peak" filter was a joke on CW) and upgraded
the AM filter plus added the CW filter. It gets a bit hot internally
due to poor ventilation and a hot transformer but there is no drift.
My only complaint is that the tuning is a bit too fast and as such is
touchy on SSB at times.

Regards,

Frank
Tucson, AZ