Old April 19th 05, 11:08 PM
David

Default Potential problems with the ICOM PCR1000 re installation on a pentium IV XP System?

This old pipe smoker, at one time in his younger more adventurous years
in Vietnam and elsewhere, was among other things a military
communications intercept operator AKA DittyBopper. The old bug has
bitten me and I'm considering entering the SWL-DX hobby and I'd
appreciate some equipment recommendations from any of you kind
gentlemena nd ladies.

At present I am considering that ICOM PCP1000-02 PC driven semi
broadband receiver with the DSP module and the upgraged BONITO 5.2
software package. The following is the link to the ICOM page describing
this unit.

http://www.icomamerica.com/pro=ADduc...ivers/pcr1000/

I am not sure if this system will be compatible with my XP home 3gig
plus hyper-thrading Pentium IV, 2 gig RAM PC etc system which does not
have a 3.5 floppy drive. The commercials for the PCR1000 states its
ICOM software is on 3.5 inch floppies but a retailer tells me
otherwise. GROAN.

So to you computer gurus who happen to be SWL-HAM experts, any problem
burning the floppies to seperate CDs and installing the ICOM software
in that manner, or am I barking up the wrong tree here and should
justgo with a tabletop broadband model? If so specific recommendations
would be apprecaited. I'd love to have an ICOM R9000.

Yes. Yes. I sent an E-mail to ICOM. Silence thus far, and I suspect the
competency of all sales personnel whose only interest is making a
comissioned sale.

Thanks in advance for any (useful)input.=20

David(N)

Old April 19th 05, 11:44 PM
Jim Hackett

My software came on a CD. There are several other software programs out
there, Talk PCR being my favorite, that are far superior to the Icom
software.
My PCR 1000 also came with the Bonito software. I, and many others, are of
the opinion that if you pay ANYTHING for the Bonito software, you paid too
much. It is a resource hog that crashes and hangs. The software DSP does
NOT function (for me). If you can afford an R-9000, you got no business
buying a PCR-1000. ;~). I also have a Yaesu VR-5000 tabletop wideband that
is my most used and loved radio. It is not for the faint of heart due to
it's horribly written and converted to "ENGRISH" manual. It also has a lot
of functions buried in sub-menus which take some getting used to. Whatever
you choose, good luck and remember to "NOT feed the trolls" that dwell
here...

ups.com...

http://www.icomamerica.com/pro*ducts/receivers/pcr1000/

Old April 19th 05, 11:50 PM

The Icom and Bonmito software suck.
The Icom software will operate under XP.
There are seveal 3rt party,freeware, packages
for the PCR1000 that are outstanding.
Download the icom software from the web and burn
it to a CD and install.

Ham Radio can be found at http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/
Very nice program.

The PCR1000 is a fairly decent VHFlo/VHFhi/UHF scanner.
On HF and MW it is maybe OK. Prone to overload, so add
an external attenuator.
A radio shack antenna will work fairly well on SW/HF for
international broadasters. For serious DX or utility a
preslector is an almost must have.

The DSP is nice on HF.

Terry

Old April 20th 05, 12:12 AM
David

If you can afford an R-9000, you got no business
buying a PCR-1000. ;~).

Well I can if I budget for one. Where can I get one though? They seem
to be totally unavailable to the likes such as I.

Bonito 4.x comes bundled with the PCR1000. The Bonito 5.2 retails for
$180.00 as an upgrade through national radio in Ohio.

And thanks for the input all!

davidN

Old April 20th 05, 12:51 AM
David

On 19 Apr 2005 15:50:54 -0700, wrote:

The Icom and Bonmito software suck.
The Icom software will operate under XP.
There are seveal 3rt party,freeware, packages
for the PCR1000 that are outstanding.
Download the icom software from the web and burn
it to a CD and install.

Ham Radio can be found at
http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/
Very nice program.

The PCR1000 is a fairly decent VHFlo/VHFhi/UHF scanner.
On HF and MW it is maybe OK. Prone to overload, so add
an external attenuator.
A radio shack antenna will work fairly well on SW/HF for
international broadasters. For serious DX or utility a
preslector is an almost must have.

The DSP is nice on HF.

Terry

Why not a TenTec RX320?

Old April 20th 05, 12:59 AM
David

Why not a TenTec RX320?

I don't know. I'm Googling it right now. Thanks!

DavidN

Old April 20th 05, 01:07 AM
Volker Tonn

David schrieb:

Why not a TenTec RX320?

The RX320 is superior on the PCR-1000but only has HF.
For HF I would recommend a JRC NRD-535 and computer controll it if you
want to.
The PCR-1000 is fine on VHF/ UHF.
Another good overall performer is the AOR AR-5000

Old April 20th 05, 01:20 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Volker Tonn" wrote in message
David schrieb:

Why not a TenTec RX320?

The RX320 is superior on the PCR-1000but only has HF.
For HF I would recommend a JRC NRD-535 and computer controll it if you
want to.
The PCR-1000 is fine on VHF/ UHF.
Another good overall performer is the AOR AR-5000

Wellllllll....the RX320D can be modified (simply, IIRC) into a decent
MW / BCB receiver. The RX320D comes with 500Khz to 30 MHz,
again "IIRC."

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Every moment of a human life is an act of worship.

Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

Old April 21st 05, 01:46 AM
David

I'd suggest the AR7030. It is nearly as compact as the black boxes, but
you can operate it without a computer if you want. It comes with a
remote control full of buttons that I leave stashed in a closet. Once
you understand the 7030 menu structure, you don't need all those
buttons.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll look into that receiver. I have
closed out no options.

At the moment I'm looking at the Yaesu FT897D transceiver. If I decide
to go for my ham ticket it would provide me some flexibility, and if
not I understand it's a great semi wide band receiver. I'm also
looking at the Yaesu VR 500 with the DSP-l module.

As I said thanks for the suggestions. More are welcome g

davidN

Old April 22nd 05, 11:21 AM
Eric F. Richards

"David" wrote:

If you can afford an R-9000, you got no business
buying a PCR-1000. ;~).

Well I can if I budget for one. Where can I get one though? They seem
to be totally unavailable to the likes such as I.

Bonito 4.x comes bundled with the PCR1000. The Bonito 5.2 retails for
$180.00 as an upgrade through national radio in Ohio.

And thanks for the input all!

davidN

The '9000 is no longer made. It was once available in the US, then
couldn't be sold here because of the idiotic cellular restrictions.
It was still on the market for a while afterwards, in several
iterations. The last was the '9000L, with an LCD replacing the CRT
which was no longer available.

If you want a high end radio, solely for shortwave, consider a Ten-Tec
RX-340, or ask about high-end surplus radios. Be ready to wade
through more "religious" flames, though, since people are very loyal
to their favorites.

At least the flames will be on-topic, though...

Regards,

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940