Old February 8th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AFRTS

Can anyone educate me as to what is required, equipment wise, to listen to
the AFRTS broadcasts on 5446.5? I *think* I'm getting something on my
DX-302, but can't tune it so it comes in any better than the "Donald Duck"
voice no matter whether I select USB or LSB, and no matter where I tune the
BFO pitch knob . . .

Old February 8th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:53:40 -0500, "Paul Zak"
wrote:

Can anyone educate me as to what is required, equipment wise, to listen to
the AFRTS broadcasts on 5446.5? I *think* I'm getting something on my
DX-302, but can't tune it so it comes in any better than the "Donald Duck"
voice no matter whether I select USB or LSB, and no matter where I tune the
BFO pitch knob . . .

Adjust the main tuning.
Old February 8th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

First make sure your radio is not drifting badly. (Usually not a concern
after it has been running for a few minutes)
Center your BFO control to the middle of its range
Use the main tuning to go slightly below or above 5446.5. (Try both above
and below with the main tuning.)
Turn the BFO control on (Select LSB or USB)
Turn the BFO control into the signal (slow and steady does it)

Try all four iterations of this untill you find a combination whose sound
you like
Main tuning low /LSB
Main tuning high/LSB
Main tuning low/ USB
Main tuning high USB

I don't know how wide your bandwidth is in the sideband modes, but it may be
too wide to effectively suppress the other sideband, consequently you may
not get good sounding audio no matter what you do.

Dan Yemiola

Old February 8th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dan Yemiola AI8O wrote:

First make sure your radio is not drifting badly. (Usually not a concern
after it has been running for a few minutes)
Center your BFO control to the middle of its range
Use the main tuning to go slightly below or above 5446.5. (Try both above
and below with the main tuning.)
Turn the BFO control on (Select LSB or USB)
Turn the BFO control into the signal (slow and steady does it)

Try all four iterations of this untill you find a combination whose sound
you like
Main tuning low /LSB
Main tuning high/LSB
Main tuning low/ USB
Main tuning high USB

I don't know how wide your bandwidth is in the sideband modes, but it may be
too wide to effectively suppress the other sideband, consequently you may
not get good sounding audio no matter what you do.

Elsewise, purchase a better radio.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 8th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 8, 3:49 pm, dxAce wrote:
Dan Yemiola AI8O wrote:
[...]

USA- Hide quoted text -

Great advice!

Old February 8th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

= = = On Feb 7, 6:53 pm, "Paul Zak" wrote:
Can anyone educate me as to what is required, equipment wise, to listen to
the AFRTS broadcasts on 5446.5? I *think* I'm getting something on my
DX-302, but can't tune it so it comes in any better than the "Donald Duck"
voice no matter whether I select USB or LSB, and no matter where I tune the
BFO pitch knob . . .

READ - ABOUT - American Forces Network (or AFN) and
American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS)
Shortwave Broadcasting
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...2d1379c26799f4
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...44ca24b0cacd97
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...08fee6d0cbdf59
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...5cedc5563686be
Old February 9th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The DX302 is quite capable of receiving ssb. It may be that you are
listening to
some harmonic of a local FM or TV station. These signals can often
find their
way through the IF if they are strong enough. Do you have an FM or TV
transmitter
near you? Does the signal disappear when you back off the rf gain a
little?
.
.
. .

AFRTS 5446.5 Sanjaya Shortwave 0 October 22nd 05 11:06 AM
(AFN) AFRTS Puerto Rico dxAce Shortwave 11 November 28th 04 05:40 PM
AFRTS ON 7507 GONE SILENT K1AJ Shortwave 5 October 27th 04 03:56 PM
Armed Forces Radio & Television Service (AFRTS) William Anderson Broadcasting 1 October 20th 04 03:45 AM
AFRTS in Italy? S Shortwave 5 December 29th 03 08:17 AM