Old March 20th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again ! - DXers Rejoice !

On Mar 17, 6:13 am, David wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:01:21 -0700, "David Eduardo"

wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
roups.com...

DE So in your world the 'little guy'
[The Minority of Radio Listeners]
HAS NO RIGHTS [.]

If AM does not survive (it IS dead for two generations of Americans) then it
won't matter much if you can't hear every AM on the dial... there won't be
any left.

Classical Liberal Thinking from the Champeon
of Spanish Language {Minority} Broadcasting.

I am probably more conservative politically than Genghis Kahn.

Funny how the niche programmers seem to do OK. If AM ends up like
shortwave (patriots and religious broadcasters) so be it. Do not
clutter up the airwaves with the hideous digital noise floor. It
really makes a mess out of everything.- Hide quoted text -

David,

Better Ten or a Hundred or a Thousand Individual Voices
to be heard on the AM/MW Radio -then- 500 AM/MW
Radio Stations all rebroadcasting Coast-to-Coast AM
from 10 PM until 5 AM each Night.

Bring On the Independeant 100 Patriot Voices !
- - - Each Saying Something Different and New.

Bring On the Independent 100 Religious Voices !
- - - Each Saying Something Different and New.

Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again !

i listen to the radio because . . .
it's interesting and enjoyable ~ RHF
Old March 20th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...

Better Ten or a Hundred or a Thousand Individual Voices
to be heard on the AM/MW Radio -then- 500 AM/MW
Radio Stations all rebroadcasting Coast-to-Coast AM
from 10 PM until 5 AM each Night.

You seem unaware of the origin of overnight broadcasting. It has nothing to
do with listening, the listener or making money.

When equipment was much less reliable, in the late 50's and 60's, many
failures came at sign-on, right ahead of the most profitable time of the day
for radio. It did not take much for owners and managers to decide that if
the station was not turned off, the failures at the time they were turned
back on would be far fewer, and certainly more at random. So staitons went
on "All Night" schedules.

Altholugh I know of a few cases of momentarily profitable overnight shows,
in general it is nearly impossible to generate any revenue overnights.

Today, equipment is better. But since everyone who can is 24/7, nobody wants
to be the first to not do it. Add to that the more irregular work hours of
Americans, and you have a reason to be on at 5 AM or even 4 AM in many
cities... at that point, why sign off?

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the overnght
hours.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for many
hundreds of affiliates is real. If those stations did not have Coast to
Coast, they would be automated playing music.

Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again !

There is no way to pay for it. There is no ad revenue.

Old March 20th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again ! - DXersR...

Yeah,it p...es me off.Tuning around on the dial and ever fifth station
is a C to C KOOK FREAK show.I tell y'all what,late nights,all of them
KOOKS and FREAKS come out of the woods.

fmomoon at alt.gossip.celebrities news group sig says, War doesn't
determine who is right,it determines who is left.
cuhulin

Old March 20th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...

Better Ten or a Hundred or a Thousand Individual Voices to be heard
on the AM/MW Radio -then- 500 AM/MW Radio Stations all
rebroadcasting Coast-to-Coast AM from 10 PM until 5 AM each Night.

You seem unaware of the origin of overnight broadcasting. It has
nothing to do with listening, the listener or making money.

Yeah, so that's why there is no advertising at night on AM. Thanks for
clearing that up.

When equipment was much less reliable, in the late 50's and 60's,
many failures came at sign-on, right ahead of the most profitable
time of the day for radio. It did not take much for owners and
managers to decide that if the station was not turned off, the
failures at the time they were turned back on would be far fewer, and
certainly more at random. So staitons went on "All Night" schedules.

Altholugh I know of a few cases of momentarily profitable overnight
shows, in general it is nearly impossible to generate any revenue
overnights.

Most radio station owners are intent on losing money? Now I understand.

Today, equipment is better.

Yeah, but we need IBOC don't we.

But since everyone who can is 24/7, nobody wants to be the first to
not do it. Add to that the more irregular work hours of Americans,
and you have a reason to be on at 5 AM or even 4 AM in many cities...
at that point, why sign off?

You don't make any sense so why should anyone else.

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the
overnght hours.

Art Bell works for free. What a great humanitarian.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for
many hundreds of affiliates is real.

Oh yeah baby, all those millions of nobodies.

If those stations did not have Coast to Coast, they would be
automated playing music.

And playing your IBOC infomercials but since we have Coast to Coast we
will just have to read your infomercials here.

Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again !

There is no way to pay for it. There is no ad revenue.

Hey David, got that spare $750K? It is very little money you know so I
know you will not miss it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 20th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the overnght
hours.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for many
hundreds of affiliates is real. If those stations did not have Coast to
Coast, they would be automated playing music.

I was one of those 'nearly nobodys' that occasionally listened to Bell
on a distant station via skywave because their wasn't a local one for
me. He was on a 50-Kw regional clear channel station about 50-miles from
me but I can no longer rely on that station for good nighttime reception
because of the co-channel (skywave) interference which started a few
years ago. We both know why that happened.

Old March 20th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article SiJLh.9979$dG.1723@trndny08, HFguy
wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the overnght
hours.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for many
hundreds of affiliates is real. If those stations did not have Coast to
Coast, they would be automated playing music.

I was one of those 'nearly nobodys' that occasionally listened to Bell
on a distant station via skywave because their wasn't a local one for
me. He was on a 50-Kw regional clear channel station about 50-miles from
me but I can no longer rely on that station for good nighttime reception
because of the co-channel (skywave) interference which started a few
years ago. We both know why that happened.

Now we just have to find out why "David" has happened.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 20th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"HFguy" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the overnght
hours.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for
many hundreds of affiliates is real. If those stations did not have Coast
to Coast, they would be automated playing music.

I was one of those 'nearly nobodys' that occasionally listened to Bell on
a distant station via skywave because their wasn't a local one for me. He
was on a 50-Kw regional clear channel station about 50-miles from me but I
can no longer rely on that station for good nighttime reception because of
the co-channel (skywave) interference which started a few years ago. We
both know why that happened.

Maybe you know, but I have no idea unless you are feeling like sharing.

Old March 20th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A 'Crater' has been espied under California. www.standeyo.com

Watch out! y'all,don't let that greut big old 'Crater' git y'all.It
might swallow up all of Los Angeles and San Diego and points North South
East and West.Soon as this reel good Tommy Lee Jones movie on Radio tb
is overa,it's,,,,,, Move over Doggy,time for me to get my beautimus
sleep.I hopes there ain't no 'Craters' under Mississippi.
cuhulin

Old March 20th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

You seem unaware of the origin of overnight broadcasting. It has
nothing to do with listening, the listener or making money.

Yeah, so that's why there is no advertising at night on AM. Thanks for
clearing that up.

Actually, you willhear lots of ads.

In the syndicated shows, the syndicator gets the revenue and the staiton
gets the show for free.

In local staitons, the ads are bonus spots, added in to make a deal more
appealing.

It is enormously rare to have an actual cash buy for post-Midnight spots.
They are all value added or barter.

Altholugh I know of a few cases of momentarily profitable overnight
shows, in general it is nearly impossible to generate any revenue
overnights.

Most radio station owners are intent on losing money? Now I understand.

No, they are intent on being on the air when morning drive starts. The few
dollars that overnight broadcasting costs is vastly less than having outages
in morning drive that cost money and hurt ratings.

We don't buy insurance because we want to have a fire, do we? Overnight
broadcasting is a form of insurance.

But since everyone who can is 24/7, nobody wants to be the first to
not do it. Add to that the more irregular work hours of Americans,
and you have a reason to be on at 5 AM or even 4 AM in many cities...
at that point, why sign off?

You don't make any sense so why should anyone else.

Any station operator who has had a couple of experiences of being off at 7
AM in the middle of morning drive will not let it happen again. Among the
causes of sign on problems are the stress of applying high voltage to more
conventional transmitters, the possibilities of having a critter short the
system anywhere (they climb into ATU's, phasors, Transmitters, power
supplies, etc., at night for warmth and get fried at sign-on, taking the
gear with them...

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the
overnght hours.

Art Bell works for free. What a great humanitarian.

The show is free to stations. All they have to do is carry the syndicator's
commercials... there is no compensation for them to the stations, only the
network.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for
many hundreds of affiliates is real.

Oh yeah baby, all those millions of nobodies.

The main audience is in areas where there is a good groundwave signal on AM.
I doubt there are more than a few thousand, nationally, listening to
skywave. And the whole show does not have "millions of listeners."

Hey David, got that spare $750K? It is very little money you know so I
know you will not miss it.

You still don't seem to get that this is a tiny amount for most
corporations.... it is the gross sales for 6 months of one single average
McDonalds.

Old March 20th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 19 Mar 2007 19:49:11 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

David,

Better Ten or a Hundred or a Thousand Individual Voices
to be heard on the AM/MW Radio -then- 500 AM/MW
Radio Stations all rebroadcasting Coast-to-Coast AM
from 10 PM until 5 AM each Night.

Bring On the Independeant 100 Patriot Voices !
- - - Each Saying Something Different and New.

Bring On the Independent 100 Religious Voices !
- - - Each Saying Something Different and New.

Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again !

i listen to the radio because . . .
it's interesting and enjoyable ~ RHF

KOA and KGO have original programming overnight.

transshark should leave gw CB 15 February 3rd 04 10:51 AM
Leave Twisted, Leave Eject Twisty From RRCB CB 3 November 10th 03 07:52 PM
how rf leave the antenna dado Antenna 2 August 21st 03 08:17 PM
"leave his mother behind" X98 Shortwave 0 August 3rd 03 02:48 AM