Old March 13th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default why not, Why Not. WHY NOT ! - Leave AM Radio Alone

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

And let's talk about FM's for just a second. A Salem station on 105.3
used to be heard over most of Portland. They decided to up their
audience
a little bit by moving their tower site to a point between Portland and
Salem, off to the east a bit from both, and now they're considered a
city
grade contour for both cities and most places in between on the I-5
corridor. They can be heard on a car stereo solidly as far south as
Eugene. Basically what they did to the station was turned it from a
Salem
local to a rimshotter and made a big success of it.

And that explains why it does not exist now?

Actually, they DO still exist. There was a frequency realignment in the
region a while back, where stations were fudged a bit to allow addition of
a couple more stations into the crowded market (98.5 was moved to 98.7,
allowing a new station on 97.9, 105.3 moved to 105.1 to make room for a
new station on 105.9) Man, RadioLocator is out of date for the area....

KRSK's CP pretty much city--grades the market on 105.1; the old facility
with the site in the vicinity of Silverton missed about 40% of the market on
t he 70 dbu.

Old March 14th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

[...]

Pest status... indeed.

Old March 14th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:00:22 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

C. Commercial radio only exists in the US because stations make money. If
they did not, you would have a choice of religious stations and NPR.

Ma and Pa operations can make money on stations that big-ass
corporations cannot. That was the beauty of Pre-Reagan broadcasting:
diversity.

BTW, I see your company ate a big **** sandwich today.
Old March 14th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The example you made of KOXR is deceptive. Inland is sparsely populated
being mountainous or farmland with most people living near the coast.

It is still part of the market, as sparsely populated as it may be.

I thought the scattered few don't matter in your world.

These 16 AM stations are moderately strong to very strong. They all come
in interference free on the home and car radios. I don't put up with
noise and interference either. I'm 60 miles north of one of the big
markets. Try again.

Sorry, but extensive research on literally hundreds of thousands of
individual listeners shows that outside the 10 mv/m in medium metros and
ever greater signals in big ones, there is essentially no listening to AM
stations.

I don't know what to say about your perverted market research being
contrary to my experience. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. You keep
saying that if a AM station does not have a strong signal then people
will not listen to it and then follow that up with there are only two or
three stations that have that signal strength. Well I have at least 16
and I'm in the northern part of one of the biggest markets so you are
wrong. I don't give a dam about any volts per mete contour maps you
imagine seeing these signals are strong and noise is not an issue
hearing any of them.

I don't have a problem getting many weaker stations either except when a
station running that digital crap covers them up.

Yeah, I can often get Kota Kinabalu on 1475... that does not mean anyone
listens to them in LA.

Listening and the ability to hear a station are very different.

If people are not listening to these strong stations it must be because
of the programming.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
OK, I went to radio-locator.com and found that there are 16 AM stations
with moderate to very strong signal levels in my area and I pickup many
more during the daytime in my small town 60 miles north of LA.

In ZIP Code 9303 there are only 4 AM stations that put a 10 mv/m or
stronger
over the area... 1590, 1520, 910 and 1450.

Between 5 mv/m and 10, there are three: 1400 from Santa Paula and KFI and
KNX from LA, brought in mostly by the nice salt water path.

I'm in 93001. Yes Goleta to San Diego daytime stations are very strong.
Nightime is also good except when I get that phase cancelation of sky
and ground wave, which is solved with the sync. The car radio does not
have that so at times nigh time reception can suck in the car.

Same thing. 910, 1590 and 1450 are the only stations with day and night
signals over 10 mv/m in your ZIP Code.

You get 1250 from Santa Barbara, KSPN from LA and KNX between 5 mv/m and 10
mv/m. The rest are below 5 mv/ m.

As I said, it has been proven hundreds of thousands of times that
essentially nobody listens outside those contours.

I have no idea what you are talking about. There are many more stations
that come in with very strong signals. There are at least 16 of them.
The signal strength meters of radio locator seem to be accurate. Go
ahead and try zip 93001.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 14th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
For example, Washington DC does not have one viable AM station.
Phoenix has two. Boston has, maybe, 3. Philadelphia has 3. Miami
has one, and that is a stretch. Denver has 2. Chicago has 5, San
Francisco has 4, San Diego has 2, Dallas / Ft Worth has 3, Houston
has, barely, 1, Pittsburgh has 1, Atlanta has 1, Nashville has 1,
Detroit has 2, etc., etc. As markets grow more and more to the
suburbs, fewer and fewer stations are going to be viable.

OK, I went to radio-locator.com and found that there are 16 AM
stations with moderate to very strong signal levels in my area and
I pickup many more during the daytime in my small town 60 miles
north of LA.

Now Telemon, you KNOW he doesn't want to hear facts, he wants to live in his
little dream world where everything is just as he thinks it is.

Snip

Yeah, now he is telling me what I can hear based on some imaginary
contour maps.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
[...]

Please explain what you meant by:

=================================
I don't give a dam about any volts per mete contour maps you
imagine seeing these signals are strong and noise is not an issue
hearing any of them.
=================================

I'm sure it's not as confusing as is commonly thought.

mike

Old March 14th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

C. Commercial radio only exists in the US because stations make money. If
they did not, you would have a choice of religious stations and NPR.

Ma and Pa operations can make money on stations that big-ass
corporations cannot. That was the beauty of Pre-Reagan broadcasting:
diversity.

Pre deregulation, half of US stations did not make money.

BTW, I see your company ate a big **** sandwich today.

No, it did not.

Old March 14th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article MzJJh.41828$lY6.11018@edtnps90, m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Why are you confused. David says that I can only get a few stations with
a strong signal based on some volts per meter contour maps on those
stations antenna patterns. Well his information is incorrect.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

[...]

This is not market research of some unknown brand. It is the analysis by ZIP
Code and signal strength of what gets listening and what does not. Smaller
signals get no significant diary mentions.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. You keep
saying that if a AM station does not have a strong signal then people
will not listen to it and then follow that up with there are only two or
three stations that have that signal strength.

And those are the only AMs that get any significant listening in your ZIP
Code. Bingo.

Well I have at least 16
and I'm in the northern part of one of the biggest markets so you are
wrong. I don't give a dam about any volts per mete contour maps you
imagine seeing these signals are strong and noise is not an issue
hearing any of them.

You are in market 120, which is hardly big.. And wherever you are,
significant listening is only given to stations with big, listenable
signals.

Yet, in your ZIP code, in home listening to anything but the big signals is
nearly non-existent.

transshark should leave gw CB 15 February 3rd 04 10:51 AM
Leave Twisted, Leave Eject Twisty From RRCB CB 3 November 10th 03 07:52 PM
how rf leave the antenna dado Antenna 2 August 21st 03 08:17 PM
"leave his mother behind" X98 Shortwave 0 August 3rd 03 02:48 AM