Old March 17th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default why not, Why Not. WHY NOT ! - Leave AM Radio Alone

RHF wrote:

On Mar 16, 7:37 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

He'd have to swing a LONG way the opposite direction to even get me to pay
attention at this point. I have been a long-time viewer of Univision and
Galavision television (until I moved here, where I have no access to them
(and technically, they are one and the same at this point, IIRC)), but
thanks to the intractible stubbornness of David Edurardo, their
representative (at least of their radio group, but a corporate
representative nonetheless), I will not bother to watch their television
outlets any longer. I never have listened to any of their radio outlets,
preferring instead to listen to small local Spanish outlets when I was in
that particular listening mood.

Since we do not have any radio stations in Oregon, that statement is absurd

DE - You reply points out your Two Big Problem :

# 1 - The Certainty of Your Knowledge {Elitism}

# 2 - The Dismissive Attitude that you have for
Anyone who is Not Ratable and Salable.

Master D. Eduardo - Yours is a sad, Sad. SAD ! World ~ RHF

It's a fantasy world that he's been creating since he was 10 or so. 50 years of
fantasy!

Walt Disney would be proud.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
David Eduardo presumed to know what stations I listen to, and where, when
he wrote:

Since we do not have any radio stations in Oregon, that statement is
absurd

And whom, might I ask, said anything at all about listening to a Univision
station in Oregon? Remember sky wave? We here take advantage of it a lot.
However, Portland has several Spanish language stations these days. I
think they may even have on on FM now, but not sure about that one.

There is no Univision AM that has any chance of providing listenable skywave
to Oregon, either.

There is no commercial Spanish FM in Portland. There are 7 AMs in Spanish.

Old March 17th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

This is not market research of some unknown brand. It is the analysis by ZIP
Code and signal strength of what gets listening and what does not. Smaller
signals get no significant diary mentions.

How often do shortwave entries show up in the diaries?
Old March 17th 07, 09:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

Actually, diaries are placed using a technique based on random digit
dialers, with strict geographic controls within each market's metro.
Participants are recruited based on quotas for age, sex, ethnicity, etc.
based on Claritas quantifications of each market using root Census data and
annual updates. In today's world, this is as close as you can get to a true
random probability sample where there is no recruitment bias.

There is nothing "hand picked" about the sample. Stations can not ask to
have diaries sent to anyone. It's all random.

And the diary method is going away, as the People Meter rolls out over the
next few years. It's already in Philly and Houston, and does full electronic
measurement of a perfectly balanced sample.

I participated in an Arbitron radio survey many years ago. I was first
contacted by phone and they asked if I would be interested in keeping a
diary. I agreed and they sent the diary to me. The main problem I had
was I often don't listen to a station for more than a few seconds to see
if I like the music they're playing. If not, I move on to another
station. I don't listen to most commercials either, so that's another
reason for retuning. I do this a lot with FM. It's almost impossible to
enter this kind of listening into a survey diary. There would be
hundreds of entries in a day. Since I'm also an HF listener, I had to
enter the shortwave stations in the diary. I imagine they threw mine out
after they saw that.
Old March 17th 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I know what the problem is... you are stubborn and do not understand that
few listeners are even interested in non-local stations, and when combined
with signals that are not reliable day and nigh and which can be subject to
interference, they don't listen to them.

The real problem is that you, Edweenie, don't realize that you are posting in
what is ostensibly a *hobby* news group, where folks actually *do* listen to
things that fall outside of the parameters of your little fantasy world.

It's not a fantasy world. It's just that we (here) don't fit into the
demographics of the vast majority of AM listeners. If we had it our way,
there would be no interference problems to prohibit us from listening to
distant AM stations. But the consequence of that would be fewer AM
stations in the future to listen too. You can't have the first without
the second, given the state that AM radio is in now. Unfortunately for
us, the numbers will win in the end and we really can't do anything
about it. As he said, radio is all about the money.

Old March 17th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DE Proclaims - Night-Time AM-HD Radio Is Coming - The Greatest Good For The Greatest Number Of People -ergo- DXers Be Damned !

On 16 Mar 2007 16:09:38 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

and most
trade magazines and such believe night HD will also be authorized on the
theory of greatest good for the greatest number of people.

So it is obviously a hobby concern. And your R8B does not have HD!

DE Says - "night HD will also be authorized on the
theory of greatest good for the greatest number of people."

DE Proclaims - Night-Time AM-HD Radio Is Coming
The Greatest Good For The Greatest Number Of People
-ergo- DXers Be Damned !

DE So in your world the 'little guy'
[The Minority of Radio Listeners]
HAS NO RIGHTS [.]

Classical Liberal Thinking from the Champeon
of Spanish Language {Minority} Broadcasting.

it boggles the mind ~ RHF
.

Night time IBOC will result in fewer listeners being able to receive
AM radio. I don't see how this translates into ''good'' for any
number of people. Half the people in the USA live beyond the suburbs.
The ones who are left in the rotting cities are weirdos and poor
people.
Old March 17th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:01:21 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
roups.com...

DE So in your world the 'little guy'
[The Minority of Radio Listeners]
HAS NO RIGHTS [.]

If AM does not survive (it IS dead for two generations of Americans) then it
won't matter much if you can't hear every AM on the dial... there won't be
any left.

Classical Liberal Thinking from the Champeon
of Spanish Language {Minority} Broadcasting.

I am probably more conservative politically than Genghis Kahn.

Funny how the niche programmers seem to do OK. If AM ends up like
shortwave (patriots and religious broadcasters) so be it. Do not
clutter up the airwaves with the hideous digital noise floor. It
really makes a mess out of everything.

Old March 17th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"HFguy" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

This is not market research of some unknown brand. It is the analysis by
ZIP Code and signal strength of what gets listening and what does not.
Smaller signals get no significant diary mentions.

How often do shortwave entries show up in the diaries?

I have been reviewing diaries since 1970 (you have to go to Arbitron in
suburban Maryland to see them) and have never seen an SW entry.

More specifically, I saw the forms for the ratings in Quito and Guayaquil,
Ecuador, in the late 60's when I operated stations there. Not once did I see
a SW station mentioned there, either.

Old March 17th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"HFguy" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

[...]

No, your diary was not thrown out. Any diary that has been properly returned
is processed, including those that show zero listening.

Arbitron tabulates just two things... station and time listening to it.
Credits are given by quarter hour. To get a quarter hour credit, a listener
has to have been tuned in for a minimum of 5 minutes in each quarter hour.
So dial scanning or seeking does not give credit.

Today, with the Portable People Meter, all of this is done electronically...
with every station in a measured market encoded. This means non-encoded
signals, like, let's say, and Ecuadorian SW station, will not get detected.
Again, nobody in the advertising or radio industry believes this is a
defect.

transshark should leave gw CB 15 February 3rd 04 10:51 AM
Leave Twisted, Leave Eject Twisty From RRCB CB 3 November 10th 03 07:52 PM
how rf leave the antenna dado Antenna 2 August 21st 03 08:17 PM
"leave his mother behind" X98 Shortwave 0 August 3rd 03 02:48 AM