Old March 21st 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sounds of digital

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
..

It's about 10 generations back in the codec and algorithm development.

Yeah, like you know what you are talking about. Not.

Since every station upgrades the software in the HD equipment each time
there is a codec or software change, we should know how many times it is
revised.

OK David lets try out this little poser on you the man with all the
answers. If the IBOC comes out on a ASIC and then the codec changes then
what about all the radios out there with old chip in them? Do they stop
working? Will they only be able to receive stations using the old codec?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 21st 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
..

It's about 10 generations back in the codec and algorithm development.

Yeah, like you know what you are talking about. Not.

Since every station upgrades the software in the HD equipment each time
there is a codec or software change, we should know how many times it is
revised.

OK David lets try out this little poser on you the man with all the
answers. If the IBOC comes out on a ASIC and then the codec changes then
what about all the radios out there with old chip in them? Do they stop
working? Will they only be able to receive stations using the old codec?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Can I field this one? Our AFN satellite receivers have to update themselves
every few months. AFN sends the updates down from the bird and the receiver
downloads and installs them. I'm no fan of IBOC, of course, but I see no
reason that the ASIC (not knowing the particulars of the chip) couldn't be
designed to do the same (Flash RAM or some such).

Old March 21st 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..
..

[...]

To bad for the rest of us you had to answer that question. I wanted to
see David fumble it. Spoiler.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 21st 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
..

It's about 10 generations back in the codec and algorithm development.

Yeah, like you know what you are talking about. Not.

Since every station upgrades the software in the HD equipment each time
there is a codec or software change, we should know how many times it is
revised.

OK David lets try out this little poser on you the man with all the
answers. If the IBOC comes out on a ASIC and then the codec changes then
what about all the radios out there with old chip in them? Do they stop
working? Will they only be able to receive stations using the old codec?

No changes in the receiver. All modifications are in the transmission
system, not the receiver.

Old March 21st 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

Can I field this one? Our AFN satellite receivers have to update
themselves
every few months. AFN sends the updates down from the bird and the
receiver
downloads and installs them. I'm no fan of IBOC, of course, but I see no
reason that the ASIC (not knowing the particulars of the chip) couldn't
be
designed to do the same (Flash RAM or some such).

To bad for the rest of us you had to answer that question. I wanted to
see David fumble it. Spoiler.

Most of the algorithm and codec changes have been one sided... and all of
them have been since ver. 2 of the design specs were released last year
prior to the "Official" launch of HD in June. What has been changed, per our
engineers who looked at the update bulletins, with some frequency is the
system that distributes content in the individual digital sidebands, to make
it even less error prone, and certain one-sided codec changes on the AM
audio (this may just be iBiquity saying they polished the code a bit). It
all constitutes fine tuning at this stage.

Old March 21st 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
..

It's about 10 generations back in the codec and algorithm development.

Yeah, like you know what you are talking about. Not.

Since every station upgrades the software in the HD equipment each time
there is a codec or software change, we should know how many times it is
revised.

OK David lets try out this little poser on you the man with all the
answers. If the IBOC comes out on a ASIC and then the codec changes then
what about all the radios out there with old chip in them? Do they stop
working? Will they only be able to receive stations using the old codec?

No changes in the receiver. All modifications are in the transmission
system, not the receiver.

Actually, now that I think about it there were some changes in the
receiver. Let me get back to you on this.

Old March 21st 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, I meant this as a response to a different post. Please ignore.

Old March 22nd 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

[...]

Polishing the noise, a new concept.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 22nd 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..
..

It's about 10 generations back in the codec and algorithm development.

Yeah, like you know what you are talking about. Not.

Since every station upgrades the software in the HD equipment each time
there is a codec or software change, we should know how many times it is
revised.

OK David lets try out this little poser on you the man with all the
answers. If the IBOC comes out on a ASIC and then the codec changes then
what about all the radios out there with old chip in them? Do they stop
working? Will they only be able to receive stations using the old codec?

No changes in the receiver. All modifications are in the transmission
system, not the receiver.

Your explanation leaves a little to be desired. If the sidebands were
differentiated what was the difference or reason?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

sounds like teletype Josh Shortwave 19 February 5th 06 07:01 AM
CB Sounds FredTheRed CB 1 October 28th 04 11:04 PM
mp3 or computer sounds through PA speaker ? islandbreeze CB 1 May 9th 04 09:24 AM
BPL video/sounds Derek Wills Dx 2 August 8th 03 12:10 AM
BPL video/sounds Derek Wills Dx 0 August 7th 03 03:57 AM