Old April 7th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WTWP (WTOP) 1500 AM-HD clobbers 1520 AM WRTI's protected contour !

WTWP (WTOP) 1500 AM-HD clobbers 1520 AM WRTI's protected contour !

"WSJ Reports on AM IBOC Interference"

"AM interference from digital radio is in the Wall Street Journal. The
paper reports that some AMs that have elected to remain analog are
experiencing adjacent-channel interference from neighboring AMs that
have gone digital... The WSJ article cites a listener in Elkridge,
Md., who has had trouble tuning into WTRI(AM), 1520 kHz, since WTOP,
at 1500 kHz in Washington, went HD Radio about a year ago. "

http://www.rwonline.com/dailynews/sh...month=3&week=9

"Digital Signals Spark Static From AM Radio"

"Bill Harms of Elkridge, Md., likes to listen to Frank Sinatra
crooning on Vegas Radio, which broadcasts at WTRI-AM 1520, a
Washington-based station. But over the past year, he's had trouble
tuning in to Vegas as he drives through certain neighborhoods. As he
complained to WTRI owner Buddy Rizer in an email, ''there's a hiss, a
hiss that did not exist in the past. A growing number of radio
listeners are encountering similar interference -- hisses, whistles or
static -- on their favorite AM stations."

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...s_free_feature

1500 AM-HD WTWP (WTOP) clobbers 1520 AM WTRI's protected contour with
IBOC hissing. I just talked with WTRI's station owner and he confirmed
my findings (I checked their protected contour on radiolocator.com) -
he indicated that there have been numerous listener complaints and
they have tried taking legal action, but there is nothing WTRI can do
about the situation, EVEN WITHIN THEIR PROTECTED CONTOUR. He too,
hopes this nightmare will eventually go away - I told him that few HD
radios have been sold, so that is a real possibility. HD/IBOC is
destroying the AM band, and as we have just seen, will no doubt drive
listeners away. If interested, here are WTRI's numbers: 301-834-9000,
301-834-3800:

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat...atus=L&hours=D

Old April 7th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Just more proof that David Frackelton Gleason (aka 'Eduardo') is at least a full bubble
shy of level.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 7th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.rwonline.com/dailynews/sh...006&month=3&we...

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...21.html?mod=to....

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat...AM&status=L&ho...

Just more proof that David Frackelton Gleason (aka 'Eduardo') is at least a full bubble
shy of level.

dxAce
Michigan
USA- Hide quoted text -

You should try the IBOC clowns over on radioinfo.com:

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....ard,194.0.html

Old April 7th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WTRI is close enough to Washington that the FCC should have thought
twice about putting a station 20 kHz away from a 50 kw powerhouse like
WTWP even if it is daytime only. Still, it isn't an adjacent channel
and I don't think it should be a problem with a receiver with decent
selectivity.

WTRI runs 17 kw in the daytime but only 1400 watts in the "critical
hours" around sunrise and sunset. WTRI is northwest of Washington; Mr.
Harms appears to be just southwest of Baltimore. He is well within the
daytime range which includes both Baltimore and Washington but not
within the "critical hours" range.

Old April 7th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 7, 5:34?pm, Tester wrote:
WTRI is close enough to Washington that the FCC should have thought
twice about putting a station 20 kHz away from a 50 kw powerhouse like
WTWP even if it is daytime only. Still, it isn't an adjacent channel
and I don't think it should be a problem with a receiver with decent
selectivity.

WTRI runs 17 kw in the daytime but only 1400 watts in the "critical
hours" around sunrise and sunset. WTRI is northwest of Washington; Mr.
Harms appears to be just southwest of Baltimore. He is well within the
daytime range which includes both Baltimore and Washington but not
within the "critical hours" range.

I have tried this on three different receivers, including an expensive
digital in-dash radio, with the same results. I have received the
interference from within WTRI's protected contour, idiot ! The station
manager has gotten complaints from within his protected contour,
idiot !

Old April 7th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 7, 10:33 am, wrote:
[...]

HD on FM is bad, but HD on AM is a crime, especially when they start
to fire it up at night.

I've been BCB DXing lately since the days when I can do this are
numbered thank to IBOC. One the same subject, I've noticed some NDBs
going out of service, so DX them too while you have the chance.

Old April 7th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 7, 7:48�pm, wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:33 am, wrote:

[...]

going out of service, so DX them too while you have the chance.- Hide quoted text -

The FCC has their own court system, to look the other way, when
protected contour interference occurs:

"How many people know this?"

"The FCC has their own court and judges. No jury and no right to an
attorney. Where is th ACLU on this?"

http://groups.google.com/group/ba.br...7bc229b3149ef2

"Office of Administrative Law Judges"

http://www.fcc.gov/oalj/