Old May 19th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Fluorescent Light Bulb Warning.

On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:28:32 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

Additionally, if one breaks in your home, it can cost up
to $2300 to actually clean the place up due to the mercury, this was also I think
pointed out on NPR or perhaps another network.

I can imagine that once the bulbs are more commonplace that a real estate sale
might just include testing for mercury and cleanup of any possible contamination
prior to sale.

Overall, I see it as a no win situation, and plan to stock up on incandescents.

Urban legend, Sparkie.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp
Old May 19th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 19, 5:28 pm, dxAce wrote:
Roadie wrote:
On May 19, 3:00 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article om,

Roadie wrote:
On May 18, 9:50 pm, wrote:
www.newswithviews.com

I don't like fluorescent light bulbs.From now on when I go to the food
store,I am going to start stocking up on good old G.E.Real Incandescent
Light Bulbs,the 60 Watters.I am going to clean off the top shelves in
the closets in my house and stack em up in cardboard boxes.When fed govt
starts shoving fluorescent light bulbs (so-called light bulbs) down
everybodys throats,I will still be wasteing my electricity that I pay
for on my good old G.E.Real Incandscent 60 WATT LIGHT BULBS.
cuhulin,the Electricity Waster dude.Waste Mo Electricity,you can't take
it with you

In celebration of Earth Day my local grocery store had GE CFL's on
sale for a buck a piece. Couldn't resist the opportunity so I swapped
out most of the bulbs. What a difference - because they are so much
more efficient they consume 1/4 the energy for an equivalent amount of
light from an incandescent bulb. The color temperature is very close
to incandescent too.

And for SWL's concerned about noise, the only time I pick up any noise
from one is to move the radio to within 5 inches of the light.

Did you know that even though CFL's contain a very small amount of
mercury that they actually release less mercury into the atmosphere
than an incandescent. That is possible because much of our power
comes from burned coal which releases large amounts of mercury into
the air. Indeed if you were to break all of the mercury CFL bulbs the
total amount of mercury released including the amount of mercury used
in power generation would be far less than that released by
incandescent.

You can always have a bulb re-cycling program to collect the mercury.

Yes, I agree and such programs are starting in the USA. An NPR
program characterized the amount as something like 5 miligrams...the
size of the tip of a ball point pen. The amount of mercury not spewed
into the atmosphere by buring coal makes the risk of a few bulbs
breaking and the cost of recycling a more than reasonable tradeoff in
my mind.

However, that mercury is being spewed into the atmosphere in China where the bulbs
are apparently all made.

That problem occurs with any product that requires electricity in it's
manfacture in China. On a related note imagine what is happening
around their chip fabrication labs.

Additionally, if one breaks in your home, it can cost up
to $2300 to actually clean the place up due to the mercury, this was also I think
pointed out on NPR or perhaps another network.

Not on the NPR program I heard yesterday afternoon.

I can imagine that once the bulbs are more commonplace that a real estate sale
might just include testing for mercury and cleanup of any possible contamination
prior to sale.

No more than from the very common long tube flourescent tubes that
have been used in kiteches and under counters for decades. Indeed the
amount of mercury used in bulbs has been reduced drastically. One
very important point to remember is that the total addition of mercury
to the ecology is still much less with flourescent bulbs than with
incandescent, even if you were to break all those bulbs.

Overall, I see it as a no win situation, and plan to stock up on incandescents.

You are ahead in terms of energy consumption and mrecury pollution by
switching to flourescent.

F**K you, Al Gore, you mentally ill idiot.

Oh well, the Preakness is about to run. Hopefully my horse Curlin will have a
better showing.

The CFL's I have seen do not have a incandescent bulb spectrum but like
most florescent bulbs tint toward blue.

Actually the newer ones are colored slightly warm to come close to
incandescent bulbs. The color in degrees kelvin is 2700 for the GE
and comparable helical style bulbs. GE and other companies do make
cooler bulbs. The older style bulbs were definitely on the cold side
giving ones face a corpse-like color!

It would cost more money for the
inside bulb coating and also reduce the efficiency of the bulb for a CFL
to generate a redder spectrum.

Don't know how they do it, but the current group of bulbs is right in
there with incandescents for color temperature. Indeed I swapped 10
of them out and told my wife I'd improved on the lighting but didn't
say how. She couldn't see a difference.

What did you pay for the bulbs?

$1.00 a piece at the local grocery on Earth Day. Shop around a bit
and you can find them in packages for a cost of $2.50 per bulb.

Another question is how did you determine that they only disturb the
radio from 5 inches away? The problem with this technology is that the
power spectrum they broadcast is diverse with more power on some
frequencies. You would need a spectrum analyzer to determine this with
any certainty.

Tuning around and listening gets me close enough to certainty. If I
can't hear it and it doesn't disturb listening them it isn't a
problem. The greatest noise was on the AM band and it disappears
within 10 inches of the bulb.- Hide quoted text -

Old May 19th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Roadie wrote:

On May 19, 3:00 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article om,

Roadie wrote:
On May 18, 9:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

are apparently all made. Additionally, if one breaks in your home, it can cost up
to $2300 to actually clean the place up due to the mercury, this was also I think
pointed out on NPR or perhaps another network.

I can imagine that once the bulbs are more commonplace that a real estate sale
might just include testing for mercury and cleanup of any possible contamination
prior to sale.

Overall, I see it as a no win situation, and plan to stock up on incandescents.

F**K you, Al Gore, you mentally ill idiot.

Oh well, the Preakness is about to run. Hopefully my horse Curlin will have a
better showing.

Unofficial result: My horse Curlin WINS!

Old May 19th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) : Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs -and- EnergyEffi...

When my buddy got out of active duty,U.S.Navy (U.S.S.Ticonderoga) back
in the 1960's,he worked for a couple of years in the maintnace
department at the G.E.lamp plant that used to be on Highway 80 here in
Jackson.The old building is still there,but some small businesses use
that building nowadays.I would be over at his home visiting him and his
family and sometimes some other friends would be over there.Whenever he
talked about working at the old G.E.plant,the stories he told were
usually about some funny humorous things that happened,things about
bulbs exploding and the mercury machines.Then he went to work delivering
the U.S.Mail for the U.S.P.O.More funny humoros stories.
cuhulin

Old May 19th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Good on yer,Curlin! With a name almost sort of kind of similar like
cuhulin,how can you lose?

Why do some people equate Incandescent Light Bulbs to Coal? America gets
most of it's electricity for the grid from coal and nuclear and hydro
plants.If you are using flourescent light bulbs,how do you whether or
not coal is producing the electricity for those flourescent light bulbs?

No urban legen here,,,, I am staying with G.E.Real Incandescent Light
Bulbs for as long as possible.
cuhulin,the Winner

Old May 20th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 18, 9:50 pm, wrote:
www.newswithviews.com

I don't like fluorescent light bulbs.From now on when I go to the food
store,I am going to start stocking up on good old G.E.Real Incandescent
Light Bulbs,the 60 Watters.I am going to clean off the top shelves in
the closets in my house and stack em up in cardboard boxes.When fed govt
starts shoving fluorescent light bulbs (so-called light bulbs) down
everybodys throats,I will still be wasteing my electricity that I pay
for on my good old G.E.Real Incandscent 60 WATT LIGHT BULBS.
cuhulin,the Electricity Waster dude.Waste Mo Electricity,you can't take
it with you

We have replaced most of our lightbulbs with CFLs. Only those few
bulbs controlled by a dimmer switch are still incandescents. New
Jersey had a program a couple of years back encouraging people to
switch to CFLs by offering them for $1.00 apiece, the rest being
subsidized by the state. I took advantage of that offer and bought
over 12 DOZEN of them, mostly the 15 Watt (60 Watt equivalent) CFLs
but also some 7 Watt (30 Watt equivalent) and 11 Watt (40 Watt
equivalent). The 7 and 11 Watt bulbs are enclosed so one does not see
the "twist." They are good in powder rooms.

All that said, I believe the future will NOT be CFLs. I would
recommend that young people here try a few to see if they like them,
but do not stock up on them. The reason I say this is because I
believe the future will be LED bulbs. These are far more efficient
than even the best CFLS and the LEDs will last from 4 to 10 times as
long, maybe even longer. Once the price comes down to a reasonable
level, I would see no reason for LEDs NOT to become the lighting
standard. (I'm older so I do not know if LEDs will become practical in
my lifetime.)

Have you tried any of the LED flashlights? I bought several from AES.
They sell a model for $9.99 that is machined from aluminum and runs on
3 AAA batteries: "HOUSE OF DEALS 9LED/3AAAFLSLT*" see this listed at:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/....y=11&go=GO%21

It's the third item down. I have to tell you this thing is BRIGHT! AND
it's made as well as any MagLight I own. These will give you something
of an idea as to what can be done with LEDs. If this can be
accomplished with flashlights, I can't wait until they achieve this
level of lighting quality with home LED light bulbs.

(I've even seen some LED flashlights in the "Dollar Tree" store. They
have only 3 LEDs and are not as bright or as well made as the AES
models, but for only a dollar ... )

And, yes, I know all these LED flashlights are, in fact, made in
China. Pity.

Best,

Joe

Old May 20th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) : Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs -and- Energy Efficient Lighting

RHF ) writes:

If it's off-topic, then don't respond.

ANd at the very least, get with the program so it doesn't look like
you are spawning all these off-topic posts.

If you really feel you have to change the subject header, you should
be making it clear that you are doing so. So you'd be doing something
like New Topic was: old topic

But it would be a far better newsgroup if you just ignored the off-topic
posts,

MIchael
Old May 20th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...

Have you tried any of the LED flashlights? I bought several from AES.
They sell a model for $9.99 that is machined from aluminum and runs on
3 AAA batteries: "HOUSE OF DEALS 9LED/3AAAFLSLT*" see this listed at:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/....y=11&go=GO%21

It's the third item down. I have to tell you this thing is BRIGHT! AND
it's made as well as any MagLight I own. These will give you something
of an idea as to what can be done with LEDs. If this can be
accomplished with flashlights, I can't wait until they achieve this
level of lighting quality with home LED light bulbs.

(I've even seen some LED flashlights in the "Dollar Tree" store. They
have only 3 LEDs and are not as bright or as well made as the AES
models, but for only a dollar ... )

I used to think the multi-LED flashlights were bright (and, indeed, compared
to a small incandescent flashlight, they are... but much more difuse). The
ones that are REALLY bright are the Luxeon® type LED lights. These are the
ones most likely to eventually make it into meaningful home lighting. I
have some 32 LED lamps that I use in various places. They are about the same
brightness level as the little 7 1/2 watt sign bulbs (but of course use less
than one watt). The Luxeon is many times brighter, and with just a single
light source. These are quite a bit more expensive for the higher power
ones, but the 1 watt and 3 watt versions are coming down in price rapidly.

Not mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-WATT-LUXEON-LE...mZ200111569581

Old May 21st 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gallium arsenide (a derivitive of Aluminum,if you are in
England,Aluminium) is in LED lights. www.webelements.com Gallium
cuhulin

Old May 21st 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You ever saw them old comic books before and them big wide spotlights
from them old flashlights? I own two old,old,old (and many more
old,old,old flashlights too.Some of them are very collectible.
www.devilfinder.com Flashlight Museum) flashlights like that.The lenses
on them are like a magnafying lense with a flat side on the bottom.They
cast a pure wide light.
cuhulin