Old August 17th 05, 04:51 AM
uncle arnie

Default compact fluorescent light interference

As energy costs go up, way up, replaced a bunch of bulbs with compact
fluorescents. These things interfere BAD with MW even 40 feet away down a
level in my 4 level split level house, low to moderate with SW varying on
band. Anyone else noticing this? Listening in the dark these days.
Old August 17th 05, 04:55 AM
an_old_friend

uncle arnie wrote:
As energy costs go up, way up, replaced a bunch of bulbs with compact
fluorescents. These things interfere BAD with MW even 40 feet away down a
level in my 4 level split level house, low to moderate with SW varying on
band. Anyone else noticing this? Listening in the dark these days.

Honestly no and I use nothing but such bulbs. I did notice some of the
cheaper one do badly though in area with any Dampness

Old August 17th 05, 05:37 AM

Screw them flourescents anywhere near my webtv and my computer
equipment.Screw them mf's (Massey Furguson's) F... em!
cuhulin

Old August 17th 05, 05:40 AM

Trow them flourescents in the s..t can and go back to the good old style
light bulbs you have to replace every couple or tree weeks.
cuhulin

Old August 17th 05, 06:20 PM
Michael A. Terrell

uncle arnie wrote:

As energy costs go up, way up, replaced a bunch of bulbs with compact
fluorescents. These things interfere BAD with MW even 40 feet away down a
level in my 4 level split level house, low to moderate with SW varying on
band. Anyone else noticing this? Listening in the dark these days.

The cheap imported CFLs don't have a power factor correction circuit
which allows all the harmonics into the power lines. I use surplus
commercial grade four tube ceiling fixtures with just two lamps
(Disconnect the second ballast or put it on a separate switch to give
more light with two more tubes.) in my work areas. I got a great deal on
them. Nine fixtures were given to me and delivered to my house for free.
They were a couple years old, but in pretty good shape and they are
very quiet, both electrically and mechanically because they are rated
for commercial service.
--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old August 17th 05, 06:48 PM
David

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:51:16 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

As energy costs go up, way up, replaced a bunch of bulbs with compact
fluorescents. These things interfere BAD with MW even 40 feet away down a
level in my 4 level split level house, low to moderate with SW varying on
band. Anyone else noticing this? Listening in the dark these days.

Been using those things since they first came out ca. 20 years ago.
Most are very quiet. Occasionally you'll get a noisy one. Check
each bulb, one at a time.

My last RFI problem was a Linksys Router, which was horrible. I
replaced it with a D-Link which makes no noise at all.

Old August 25th 05, 03:32 PM
David

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:18:58 -0400, "brayner"
wrote:

Are these the small curly flourescents, about 13 watts sometimes selling
in some dollar stores?
I'm using a few of these and they seem to have a range of about 10 feet,
causing quite a bit of hum on the SW bands.

Gosh. All my antennas are outside. There's so much crap coming up
the power lines from outside I wouldn't think of using an antenna that
wasn't at least 10 feet from the house.

Old August 25th 05, 03:52 PM

Let me go look at mine in my kitchen lamp/light.It has Lights Of America
name brand on it and it has four seperate loops,(the bulb loops,sort of
like if you was to bend a piece of coathanger wire to make a simple
loop) Not counting the brass/copper/whatever it's made of screw in base
part,the bulb measures about five inches tall.I once bought a
flourescent screw in light bulb at a department store on Ellis Ave
(W.T.Grant store,I think it was) that was going out of business back in
the early 1970's.That flourescent light bulb lasted in my bathroom for
over fourteen years.
cuhulin

Old August 25th 05, 03:56 PM

All of those new fangled screw in flourescent light bulbs are not the
same quality though.Some of them will burn out very quickly,according to
a news article I once read on the internet a few years ago.
cuhulin