Old May 22nd 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Default Grundig YB 400 (Yacht Boy 400) Service Manual

Greetings:

I am in the midst of a project involving the Grundig YB 400
and hope to find alignment details and component placement
information from the service manual (which seems to be
very hard to locate). Does anyone have access to this
manual? I have scanned images of that manual's fold-out
schematics (found in a Web forum) and have located many
components by tracing but many are hard to find (many are
under shields) and alignment info is lacking.

Thanks much,

Michael

Addn'l Keywords: Yacht Boy PE 400PE YB400 YB400PE
Old May 23rd 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

msg schrieb:

Greetings:

I am in the midst of a project involving the Grundig YB 400
and hope to find alignment details and component placement
information from the service manual (which seems to be
very hard to locate). Does anyone have access to this
manual?

I have one in paper form, plus access to a scanner.

I have scanned images of that manual's fold-out
schematics (found in a Web forum) and have located many
components by tracing but many are hard to find (many are
under shields) and alignment info is lacking.

Alignment is only one b/w page per language, but the PCB drawings are 6
pages using color which won't be too easy to compress. I may need to
resort to DjVu format (no experience with creation so far). It's likely
to take a few days in any case.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Weniger Meer ist mehr Mehr.
Old May 23rd 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

msg schrieb:

Greetings:

I am in the midst of a project involving the Grundig YB 400
and hope to find alignment details and component placement
information from the service manual (which seems to be
very hard to locate). Does anyone have access to this
manual?

I have one in paper form, plus access to a scanner.

snip

Alignment is only one b/w page per language, but the PCB drawings are 6
pages using color which won't be too easy to compress. I may need to
resort to DjVu format (no experience with creation so far). It's likely
to take a few days in any case.

Wow!, Thanks for your reply!

I am very pleased with the program called 'IrfanView' (freeware but well
engineered) for scanning and image processing in Win32; it has most every
compression format imaginable and also a large library of image processing
plugins and yet its footprint is quite small. I have scanned many
color manual pages and compressed to jpeg (or compressed TIFF) in IrfanView
with good reduction in file size (typical 20MB TIFF down to 500-900KB jpeg)
without loss of fidelity (to the eye). Irfanview is at
http://www.irfanview.com.

If you would like, you can upload scans to our incoming ftp area (or email
is ok too as there is no size restriction on message length); please email
me at 'msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org'.

I inquired from 'Eton' in Palo Alto (current owner of the Grundig radio line)
for a service manual for the YB400 or G4000A (the relabeled name) and received
a reply that 'we do not have the manual, it is unavailable'. I wonder
what this could mean ;-)

Thanks so much again,

Michael
Old May 30th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

msg schrieb:

snip
I am in the midst of a project involving the Grundig YB 400
and hope to find alignment details and component placement
information from the service manual (which seems to be
very hard to locate). Does anyone have access to this
manual?

I have one in paper form, plus access to a scanner.

snip

Hi Stephan,

Thank you again for responding; did you manage to scan
any of this book yet? Let me know how I may help.

Regards,

Michael

Old June 10th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I finally got around to do some scanning.

Actually the large or color things were photographed with my new (for
me, at least) Olympus SP-310 in raw mode, developed and cropped with
RawTherapee and further edited in XnView and PSP4. (As a result, the
tables aren't too pretty due to slightly uneven lighting by the built-in
flash. Otherwise the cam is great for the ambitious user who wants a
compact with extensive manual control, although it is a bit of a power
hog even with current firmware and could use a faster card interface.)

The alignment stuff was scanned, which took me a while because my
parents' computer was acting up and froze or rebooted like half a dozen
times. (It's the caps I guess, either on the mo/bo which had been kinda
flaky from the beginning, or in the PSU, Fortron or not.) The black and
white level adjustment in XnView (newly discovered and strangely named)
proved to be very handy for eliminating bleedthrough and beefing up the
contrast.

The resulting images were then compressed with DjVu using DjVu Solo 3.1,
which does a great job compressing scanned multicolor and monochrome
stuff - PCB drawings in particular are extremely hard to handle with PNG
(too large) or JPEG (by the time you've got the file size down, it also
looks like poo in the important parts). (A browser plugin that also
comes with a standalone viewer can be obtained at the Lizardtech
website.) Given that viewing is pretty quick and multi-page documents
are possible on top of that, it's a pretty neat format for the web.

Anyway, here's the result:
http://stephan.win31.de/yb400align_pcb.djvu (1071K)
I'll also upload it to the corresponding Yahoo Group.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Until recently, computers must have worked with toaster logic. A

Old June 10th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

I finally got around to do some scanning.

Thanks so much for your efforts; the aligment data is
very helpful and is very legible. The photos of the
component placement don't display well for me, however
I took very good photos of both sides of the RF
section and by registering my photos over the co-
ordinate map in your scans I may be able to generate
clear placement maps which I will also post when
they are done. Together with the co-ordinate charts
this will document the board properly for component
call-outs.

At some point I also intend to capture the schematics to
a CAD format.

Thanks much again!

Regards,

Michael