Old June 3rd 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Handheld Shortwave Portable, no SSB needed, which is the best?

I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Old June 3rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 9:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Got to be the Degen DE1105

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1105.htm

- a bit more than you're $50,( S / H) but quite a bit of radi for the
size and price ..

1,000 memories; Double reductin..

- check it out . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-DE1105-FM-MW...QQcmdZViewItem

Old June 3rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 10:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-DE1105-FM-MW...VERSION-RADIO_...

Is that radio discontinued or something? I can't hardly find it
anywhere. It seems to only be on eBay.

Old June 3rd 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 10:38 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:07 pm, wrote:

On Jun 2, 9:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:

I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-DE1105-FM-MW...VERSION-RADIO_...

Is that radio discontinued or something? I can't hardly find it
anywhere. It seems to only be on eBay.

Yep; It's only available on Ebay with Paypal.

Liypn is a very reliable dealer..

PLL Double reduction, 1,000 memories; It's the best of the bunch,
IMHO .. .

But

this one, Kaito KA11, looks Very Similar . .

http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm

.. and is available from Universal Radio

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0011.html

Neither of these are DX Boxes, but if you hook up an external
antenna ; you can really pull in reasonably clear signals from all
over the world..

& off the whip performance is quite remarkable

The cheaper ones are non-digital, no memories and won't compare side
by side

Old June 3rd 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 6:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Others to consider might be the Kaito KA105 / Degen DE105. Or the
Kaito KA11 / Degen DE11. Both are totally digital. No analog tuning,
and have memories.
I tnink they are quite a bit better
then the Grundig Mini 300PE. The analog tuning on the Grundig is very,
very touchy and does not lock in at all.
Check the reviews of these little radios at ...
http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm
I bought one of each from eBay dealers in the far east. Delivery
was just a touch slow, but not too bad. Although of course they don't
perform like my larger radios, I do like them for their portability.
Cato

Old June 3rd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I might also recommend a Kaito 1102 / Degen 1102. Very sensitive, very
small, digital, memories and SSB. The Passport reviews pretty much
explain that they think this is the best of Chinese mini-portables.
(Personally, I think the DE 1103 / Eton E5 / Grundig G5 is a better
radio, but at a higher price)

Mike

Old June 3rd 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 8:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW.

The Kaito KA-1102 fits into most of my shirt pockets, with close to 1"
sticking up from my pocket. It is the best performer, has the best
features: wide/narrow, SSB, 10 k steps on FM, 1 k steps on AM/SW in
fine tuning setting & has rugged construction. Also dual conversion on
SW/AM for reduced images. But about $70+ new from radios4you.com

The 300PE overloads terribly on FM, no memories, no SSB, single
conversion causes SW images, etc.

G5/E5 slightly larger than KA-1102, maybe won't squeeze into pocket.

The KA-11 has horribly wide selectivity AM/SW/FM. Cuba on 6180 puts
strong clear audio on 6190 where China is broadcasting to North
America via Canada. On FM 94.1, the KA-1102 gets a station 75 miles
away, but on the KA-11 on 94.1 I hear locals from 93.7, 94.5, & 105.1!

The DE1105 is only available new from China for $75 & may have no
warranty or may have to be sent back to China for repair.

DE105 single conversion causes images, no 17 MHz or 21 Mhz bands, no
SSB, no small step tuning, FM overloads.

The Kaiti KA-1101 is like the KA-1102 size wise, just a few $ cheaper
& no SSB or 1 k tuning steps.

The Eton E-100 would be the size you want. Retail is $99.95 but there
are always people selling them on eBay at auction for $50 or less.
Many of these are store returns & they'll offer a warranty usually.
It's the best performer under $100 of the really tiny radios. It
"hides" in your pocket completely. Performance overall not quite as
good on AM & FM as larger KA-1102. FM requires a stronger signal for
hiss-free stereo. No SSB, but does have 1 k tuning steps on AM/SW.
Single conversion so images possible. Good SW sensitivity. George (MN)

Old June 3rd 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 3, 3:08 pm, wrote:
[...]

Something tells me to get the Kaito KA-1102. It keeps coming up with
good reviews. Does it do a fairly good job of AM/FM DXing? See I just
want to get in some DXing. I am not looking for a $15,000 portable,
but I don't want one that I might as well just throw in the trash. Do
you think I should just go with this radio or would my money be better
spent on something else like the E5 if I am going to spend $100?