Old June 3rd 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Handheld Shortwave Portable, no SSB needed, which is the best?

I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Old June 3rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 9:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Got to be the Degen DE1105

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1105.htm

- a bit more than you're $50,( S / H) but quite a bit of radi for the
size and price ..

1,000 memories; Double reductin..

- check it out . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-DE1105-FM-MW...QQcmdZViewItem

Old June 3rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 10:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-DE1105-FM-MW...VERSION-RADIO_...

Is that radio discontinued or something? I can't hardly find it
anywhere. It seems to only be on eBay.

Old June 3rd 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 2, 6:46 pm, RedPenguin wrote:
I want to get a small shortwave radio, that I can use like a walkman.
I was looking at the Grundig Mini 300PE for the price at my local
radio shack, which is only $30. I notice it had no SSB but I really
don't need SSB, at least not for a walkman type, but if there is SSB
for a portable, I guess I will take it. Should I go with this portable
or no?

I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I can listen to FM, AM,
and SW. I like Radio Habana Cuba, and want to listen to other stations
also. I want a digital readout of what frequency I am on, not 100%
analog, because then I can't see clearly what frequency I am on.

Should I go with this radio, or would there be a better choice that
covers more frequencies, as it looks like the Grundig covers 7 bands.

Others to consider might be the Kaito KA105 / Degen DE105. Or the
Kaito KA11 / Degen DE11. Both are totally digital. No analog tuning,
and have memories.
I tnink they are quite a bit better
then the Grundig Mini 300PE. The analog tuning on the Grundig is very,
very touchy and does not lock in at all.
Check the reviews of these little radios at ...
http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm
I bought one of each from eBay dealers in the far east. Delivery
was just a touch slow, but not too bad. Although of course they don't
perform like my larger radios, I do like them for their portability.
Cato

Old June 3rd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I might also recommend a Kaito 1102 / Degen 1102. Very sensitive, very
small, digital, memories and SSB. The Passport reviews pretty much
explain that they think this is the best of Chinese mini-portables.
(Personally, I think the DE 1103 / Eton E5 / Grundig G5 is a better
radio, but at a higher price)

Mike

Old June 3rd 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 3, 3:37 am, RedPenguin wrote:
On Jun 3, 1:57 am, "Al Dalton" wrote:

I love my G5. I am glad I bought it. For the money (about $150) it's top
notch. It has SSB.

Al

"Mike" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Yeah, see I like the features of those radios, but so far it looks
like really only the Grundig 300 is the size I need. See I want to go
for walks and take a shortwave radio with me. I have the Sony
ICF-7600GR, that I use right now but it's not really a "walk radio"
that I want to have. That's really what I am looking for. I will be
looking through those radios you guys/gals recommended, then I will
see what decision I can make.

Think the Kaito 1102 would be decent to go with for my walkman type or
should I go with the G5? The G5 looks like it's the same size as my
Sony ICF-7600GR, but maybe I am wrong. I want a powerful radio but not
a powerful size.

Old June 3rd 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 3, 4:00 am, RedPenguin wrote:
On Jun 3, 3:37 am, RedPenguin wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:57 am, "Al Dalton" wrote:

I love my G5. I am glad I bought it. For the money (about $150) it's top
notch. It has SSB.

Al

"Mike" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I forgot on my last message, what the heck is the difference between
getting a G5 from Grundig or one from Eton or any other company?

Old June 3rd 07, 10:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 3, 1:02 am, RedPenguin wrote:
On Jun 3, 4:00 am, RedPenguin wrote:

On Jun 3, 3:37 am, RedPenguin wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:57 am, "Al Dalton" wrote:

I love my G5. I am glad I bought it. For the money (about $150) it's top
notch. It has SSB.

Al

"Mike" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

getting a G5 from Grundig or one from Eton or any other company?- Hide quoted text -

The Kaito KA1102 is without doubt a good radio. Good enough for me
that I bought two of them. I also own the Eton E5 which is the same as
the Grundig G5, the only difference being the name on the radio. It
too is a great radio. My oldest radios are a Panasonic RF 2200, and a
Sony ICF 7600D, (ICF 2002). All good radios.

The reason I suggested the Kaito KA105, or even better the KA11,
(or the Degen equivalents), is that I thought you wanted something
small enough to slip into a pocket, about the size of the Grundig Mini
300PE that you mentioned, but a better radio.
I also thought that you wanted to spend $50.00 or less, and the
KA105 would fit those parameters.

You stated, "I want a nice cheaper radio, under $50, that I
can listen to FM, AM,
and SW."

The KA11 is the same size, but a bit more money, however it is still
close to your $50.00.

You may have a difficult time finding a KA1102 for $50.00 or
less, except on eBay (DE1102), for maybe $47.00, but then you will
pay at least $18.00 for shipping from China.
I would be surprised to see an Eton E5, or Grundig G5 going for
$50.00 or less. I bought mine new for $149.95.

A KA1102 in the U.S. will cost a minimum $59.95, from radios4you on
eBay, and add on $10.95 for shipping and insurance. That might be the
way you want to go for the KA1102.

Because of the G5/E5 size, I would thing that it is more then a
Walkman type. The same would go for the KA1102 in my opinion.

When you start getting up to the size of the Kaito
KA1102, and especially the Eton E5, or Grundig G5, you are beyond
pocket size.
Cato