Old September 11th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD Hypocrisy

wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:07 am, Steve wrote:

DXers may be one thin slice of the population, but the option to DX is
one that many people value, whether they (currently) DX very often or
not.

Again, what we value as a small group just doesn't matter to the
masses.

The naivete of this statement This decision wasn't made by the
masses. It was made by broadcasters. Broadcasters seeking to control
content local market citizens have access to--one of two Holy Grails of
broadcasting since the invention of the medium. (The other is
subscription radio--watch your etherspace for this development.)

If this decision was actually made by the masses, it may be a
different story. And it may be less caustic going down. But it wasn't.
Make no mistake, this decision was made by broadcasters, seeking to
limit choices.

What you fail to realize, here, too, is that there is another
interference problem with HD....when a station out of your market
interferes with your LOCAL station. That's not a DX situation...and it's
happening now, today, this minute. I'm experiencing it personally. And
it's been reported in the trades from DC to LA. It's been in editorial
columns in local papers.

It's a real issue.

And imagine the results at night.

Then there is the issue of shortfalls in the HD pattern in the local
market. Reports of 60% coverage and less have been coming in for a
while, now. Leaving non HD reception areas subject to the same noise,
interference, and unpleasant artifacts, as well as poorer audio.

The facts, as they are coming in, appear that HD, especially on AM,
is not living up to the promise, and will be the final nail in the
coffin of MW broadcasting. Allowing the spectrum to finally be closed,
auctioned off, and content moved to FM where it has a chance of
commercial viability.

But this is not about what the masses want. Of even care about. If
it were, there would be no end of commercially available HD receivers
and they would be flying off shelves by the tens of millions.

The masses simply do not care. And as the months drag on, they
appear to care even less.

One thing I've been saying since the HD radio noise began, is that
for HD to take off with the public, there would have to be an FCC
mandate that HD be included in all receivers, or that a cutoff date be
made for analog radio. The same way as television.

September 14th, there will be something equally as effective, as AM
HD begins to reach into the hours of greatest propagation. The only way
to filter out the crap that's skipping into the local market, will be
through a digital receiver. We should know within 30 days, if the
increased trash on the bands will have a measureable effect on the
public's listening, HD adoption, or both.

But the only ones who appear to care about HD radio, at least as of
today, are the broadcasters, and the purveyors/licensees of the hardware
and firmware that make HD (more or less) happen.

Big (Corporate) Brother making decisions for the mass.

And look at all those defending his actions.

Orwell has to be laughing his dry, wrinkly ass off.

Old September 11th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 6:31?pm, D Peter Maus wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:07 am, Steve wrote:

[...]

No doubt, consumers will continure to shun HD Rsdio - they will have
no clue, nor care about what is happening.

Old September 11th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 1:31 am, wrote:
HD Radio is the ONLY solution I can come up with in order to listen to
ANY AM station in my city - even the very powerful signals - while in
my home office, where I spend a good deal of time. With dimmer
switches, electronic air cleaners, computer, etc. etc. the noise level
wipes out all signals. I have to go to another room in the house if I
want to listen to AM analog. HD Radio is a blessing for me.

With so many complaining about the interference it causes on analog
signals - someone please tell me which analog station(s) in the Fresno
area are getting this interference. I can't locate ANY analog station
with ANY interference when in a "quiet" room in my home, and there are
MANY HD stations broadcasting in Fresno. I use both the CCRadio and
the CCRadio-SW and just don't have that problem, or at least haven't
been able to identify it.

I understand some of the complaints, but the industry isn't concerned
with those who dx. In fact, I have the problem with television
signals. When I moved to the Fresno area from Sacramento, I paid
$1,000 for a large tv antenna installation so that I could pick up the
major stations from Sacramento, about 180 miles from me. Shortly
after paying $1,000, the low-powered stations started appearing all
over the dial and wiped out channels 3 and 13 from Sacramento, channel
12 from Santa Barbara, channel 8 from Salinas, etc. But that's life.
TV and Radio are for the masses, NOT just the few who dx as a hobby.
HDTV has solved the tv problem for me as now I get channels 3 and 13
on digital tv. HD Radio solves the problem I have with too much
electrical noise on AM.

No one really cares about the hobbiest. We are left out of the
picture when technology changes.

Here you go:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8249&CatId=197

You'll be using this long after no one in this group can remember what
HD radio was.

Old September 11th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 11, 6:14 am, Steve wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:31 am, wrote:

[...]

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?...

You'll be using this long after no one in this group can remember what
HD radio was.- Hide quoted text -

- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8249&CatId=197

Oxx Digital Wireless Internet Radio and Music Center
http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/A...1000&imgcart=1

Steve,

* Requires a Computer / WiFi Network

* Plus Monthly Costs for Internet Service

Real Radio is FREE ! ~ RHF
Old September 11th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

Oxx Digital Wireless Internet Radio and Music Centerhttp://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddCartfromGallery.asp?EdpNo=32382...

Steve,

* Requires a Computer / WiFi Network

* Plus Monthly Costs for Internet Service

Real Radio is FREE ! ~ RHF

I assume that if the guy has a home office, he has a computer and
internet access.

Old September 11th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 12:39 pm, RHF wrote:
On Sep 11, 6:14 am, Steve wrote:

On Sep 11, 1:31 am, wrote:

[...]

Not for long:

"Is Pay-for-Play HD Content on Horizon?"

http://rwonline.com/pages/s.0049/t.4028.html

HD radios require AM-loop and externally-mounted FM-dipole antennas -
HD Radio's Achille's Heel.

Old September 11th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 12:39?pm, RHF wrote:
On Sep 11, 6:14 am, Steve wrote:

On Sep 11, 1:31 am, wrote:

[...]

HD/IBOC requires initial, expensive, and on-going hardware and
licensing fees to iNiquity.

Old September 12th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
s.com...

HD/IBOC requires initial, expensive, and on-going hardware and
licensing fees to iNiquity.

The initial fee is less than your morning personality makes... in a day or
two. And the ongoing fee is relatively minor.

Landfags hypocrisy I Am Not George CB 5 October 17th 04 06:07 AM
John Kerry's hypocrisy proves his contempt for voter intelligence Llgpt Shortwave 7 April 13th 04 11:03 PM
Landshark Is King Of Hypocrisy Hawaii 5-0 CB 0 January 13th 04 04:18 AM
REAL twitsed HYPOCRISY Duke Of RRCB CB 24 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
TWISTEDHED HYPOCRISY Duke Of RRCB CB 3 January 10th 04 01:07 AM