Old September 11th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD Hypocrisy

"HD Hypocrisy"

"Here's a few more reasons why only iBiquity and a few clueless radio
group heads could make a big thing out of HD radio tagging... The very
damn radio stations that broadcast in HD offer no programming worth
listening to. HD Radio is a virtual sewer of formats owners don't want
on their terrestrial frequencies and other assorted garbage that no
one sane would listen to -- let alone spend money for new radios --
tagging or not."

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...hypocrisy.html

The HD channels at clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio are a virtual sewer -
try "personalized" music at slacker.com!

Old September 11th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

HD Radio is the ONLY solution I can come up with in order to listen to
ANY AM station in my city - even the very powerful signals - while in
my home office, where I spend a good deal of time. With dimmer
switches, electronic air cleaners, computer, etc. etc. the noise level
wipes out all signals. I have to go to another room in the house if I
want to listen to AM analog. HD Radio is a blessing for me.

With so many complaining about the interference it causes on analog
signals - someone please tell me which analog station(s) in the Fresno
area are getting this interference. I can't locate ANY analog station
with ANY interference when in a "quiet" room in my home, and there are
MANY HD stations broadcasting in Fresno. I use both the CCRadio and
the CCRadio-SW and just don't have that problem, or at least haven't
been able to identify it.

I understand some of the complaints, but the industry isn't concerned
with those who dx. In fact, I have the problem with television
signals. When I moved to the Fresno area from Sacramento, I paid
$1,000 for a large tv antenna installation so that I could pick up the
major stations from Sacramento, about 180 miles from me. Shortly
after paying $1,000, the low-powered stations started appearing all
over the dial and wiped out channels 3 and 13 from Sacramento, channel
12 from Santa Barbara, channel 8 from Salinas, etc. But that's life.
TV and Radio are for the masses, NOT just the few who dx as a hobby.
HDTV has solved the tv problem for me as now I get channels 3 and 13
on digital tv. HD Radio solves the problem I have with too much
electrical noise on AM.

No one really cares about the hobbiest. We are left out of the
picture when technology changes.

Old September 11th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : AM/MW "HD" Radio - Any Positive Listening Experiences ?

On Sep 10, 10:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

GA - Radio and Television : They don't call them
Mass Media for nothing -aka- Media for the Masses.

HDTV has solved the tv problem for me as now I get channels 3 and 13
on digital tv. HD Radio solves the problem I have with too much
electrical noise on AM.

No one really cares about the hobbiest. We are left out of the
picture when technology changes.

GA,

A very valid statement by an AM/MW Radio Listener about
the 'positive' side of "HD" AM/MW Radio in today's Noisy
Urban Radio Listening Environment.

I still need to take the Radi-osophy HD100 down to Oakland,
CA to try it out in an Urban Area with many Strong Local
Signals to try it out; and see what I can hear.

Up here in Twain Harte, CA - All I get is the Blinking Blue
Light and No "HD" Signal Lock.

Plus I have noticed some Digital Hash on a few of the
formerly 'clear' AM/MW Radio Signals from :
KNBR 680 kHz
KCBS 740 kHz
KGO 810 kHz

Using a CCRadioPlus+ Radio ; GE Superadio III Radio;
Grundig S350 Radio; or a Redsun RP2100 Radio; and
a Select-A-Tenna : I use to be able to Tune any of the
above SF Bay Area AM/MW Radios Stations and hear
Perfectly "Clear" Audio. Now there is always some
buzz or hiss that is part of the Sound being heard.

life exists and radio listening happens
beyond the 10 mv/m contour ~ RHF
{ where iboc 'hd' radio fears to go }
Old September 11th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...
HD Radio is the ONLY solution I can come up with in order to listen to
ANY AM station in my city - even the very powerful signals - while in
my home office, where I spend a good deal of time. With dimmer
switches, electronic air cleaners, computer, etc. etc. the noise level
wipes out all signals. I have to go to another room in the house if I
want to listen to AM analog.

This sounds like the FCC needs to look at actually ENFORCING Part 15 rules,
rather than FORCING people to stop listening to whatever radio station they
wish.

Old September 11th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : The Growth of Part 15 Items Is Saturating The Environment With RFI Noise

On Sep 10, 11:52 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

HD Radio is the ONLY solution I can come up with in order to listen to
ANY AM station in my city - even the very powerful signals - while in
my home office, where I spend a good deal of time. With dimmer
switches, electronic air cleaners, computer, etc. etc. the noise level
wipes out all signals. I have to go to another room in the house if I
want to listen to AM analog.

This sounds like the FCC needs to look at actually ENFORCING Part 15 rules,
rather than FORCING people to stop listening to whatever radio station they
wish.

BAD - Think About It . . .

How Many Part 15 'qualified' Devices did you have in
your Home 40 Years ago ? Guesstimate/Count ___

How Many Part 15 'qualified' Devices did you have in
your Home 20 Years ago ? Guesstimate/Count ___

How Many Part 15 'qualified' Devices did you have in
your Home 10 Years ago ? Guesstimate/Count ___

How Many Part 15 'qualified' Devices did you have in
your Home 5 Years ago ? Guesstimate/Count ___

How Many Part 15 'qualified' Devices did you have in
your Home 1 Year ago ? Guesstimate/Count ___

How Many Part 15 'qualified' Devices do you have in
your Home Today ? Actual Count ___

It may be that it is not Part 15 that is the Problem :
It Is The Growth of Part 15 Items That Is Saturating
The Environment That Is The Problem.

? Have You Reached Part 15 Critical Mass ?
{ Within Your Home and/or Office }

Tip {Clue} - Batteries are Not the Answer.

and that is . . . something to think about ~ RHF

Old September 11th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 1:31 am, wrote:
HD Radio is the ONLY solution I can come up with in order to listen to
ANY AM station in my city - even the very powerful signals - while in
my home office, where I spend a good deal of time. With dimmer
switches, electronic air cleaners, computer, etc. etc. the noise level
wipes out all signals. I have to go to another room in the house if I
want to listen to AM analog. HD Radio is a blessing for me.

So, because you can't hear any analog signals in your home office,
you're content to support HD, which will allow you to hear what you
want to hear while effectively wiping out everything on analog. I see.
And of course, when you leave your home office, your options will be
limited by all the familiar limitations plaguing HD.

And this sounds like a good deal to you?

Have you ever heard of internet radio? I think you'll find that it's
quite effective in your home office environment.

With so many complaining about the interference it causes on analog
signals - someone please tell me which analog station(s) in the Fresno
area are getting this interference. I can't locate ANY analog station
with ANY interference when in a "quiet" room in my home, and there are
MANY HD stations broadcasting in Fresno.

That's odd. I travel a fair amount and almost never find myself in a
place where the interference isn't very noticeable.

I use both the CCRadio and
the CCRadio-SW and just don't have that problem, or at least haven't
been able to identify it.

Don't worry. You will. Just give it a little time.

I understand some of the complaints, but the industry isn't concerned
with those who dx. In fact, I have the problem with television
signals. When I moved to the Fresno area from Sacramento, I paid
$1,000 for a large tv antenna installation so that I could pick up the
major stations from Sacramento, about 180 miles from me. Shortly
after paying $1,000, the low-powered stations started appearing all
over the dial and wiped out channels 3 and 13 from Sacramento, channel
12 from Santa Barbara, channel 8 from Salinas, etc. But that's life.
TV and Radio are for the masses, NOT just the few who dx as a hobby.
HDTV has solved the tv problem for me as now I get channels 3 and 13
on digital tv. HD Radio solves the problem I have with too much
electrical noise on AM.

DXers may be one thin slice of the population, but the option to DX is
one that many people value, whether they (currently) DX very often or
not. Besides, it's only a small slice of the population who ever gets
around to visiting Lake Tahoe. So, should we allow Ibiquity to turn it
into a chemical dump? (It would be really, really convenient for a lot
folks if we did turn it into a chemical dump, you understand. There's
a whole lot of chemical waste out there...).

No one really cares about the hobbiest. We are left out of the
picture when technology changes.

I wouldn't even think of MW DX as the realm of hobbyists in the way
that SW DX is. A lot of people don't even have the foggiest idea what
SW is, let alone what SW DX is. Very few people in the US listen even
to strong signals on SW, let alone weak ones. The situation's (very)
different with MW.

Old September 11th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 5:07 am, Steve wrote:

DXers may be one thin slice of the population, but the option to DX is
one that many people value, whether they (currently) DX very often or
not.

Again, what we value as a small group just doesn't matter to the
masses. I am disappointed that DISH NETWORK and DIRECT TV are not
allowed, by law, to sell me a package with out-of-town stations
without my local stations agreeing, which they won't. I can spend
$1,000 for a large tv antenna installation and pick up many out-of-
town stations, but I can't subscribe to get those SAME stations on
satellite. The reason -- the industry does NOT want me (or anyone
else) watching out-of-town stations because that means I am not
watching the local stations with local commercials. I tried getting
waivers from the local stations and every one of them refused.

I have been both a radio and tv dxer for over 50 years and know the
fun and excitement this hobby has given me. MOST tv dxing is done on
channels 2 through 6. In 2009, looks like that hobby will be history.

Old September 11th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

) writes:

Again, what we value as a small group just doesn't matter to the
masses. I am disappointed that DISH NETWORK and DIRECT TV are not
allowed, by law, to sell me a package with out-of-town stations
without my local stations agreeing, which they won't. I can spend
$1,000 for a large tv antenna installation and pick up many out-of-
town stations, but I can't subscribe to get those SAME stations on
satellite. The reason -- the industry does NOT want me (or anyone
else) watching out-of-town stations because that means I am not
watching the local stations with local commercials. I tried getting
waivers from the local stations and every one of them refused.

YOu see that all the time with AM broadcast radio. When the local
station dropped Art Bell some years back, moving to an all-news
format, one local columnist lamented that it was the end of Art
Bell.

But one station in Vermont carried it. And it's really easy to receive
that New York station at 770KHz that carried the show, along with all
kind of other stations up and down the dial.

Yet people never tuned up and down that dial, assuming that they'd not
be able to receive anything. And yes, that's what the local stations
want, because they want the listenership to their ads.

Oddly, a station like WBZ out of Boston even makes an issue of this.
I don't know about them lately, their reception here has been curtailed
by a more local station on an adjacent frequency, but at one point
they acknowledged that most overnight radio was syndicated, and basically
the same syndicated show, but they were live, and they covered a really
big area. The overnight announcers, maybe even the bumpers, made a point
of mention that there were listeners in faraway places.

And I treated it like a local talk show. There were some obvious differences
in what was discussed, but it came booming in here and except for the
fading, was strong enough to be local. I initially started listening
to WBZ overnight when there wasn't something of interest on the local
stations at that time (too much syndicated talk shows, and at one
point one station was airing repeats of programming from the daytime),
but for a number of years I was pretty much listening to WBZ overnight.

Michael
Old September 11th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 11, 9:15 am, (Michael Black) wrote:
) writes:
[...]

MB,

KGO-AM on 810 kHz makes it a point with their
Over-Night Talk-Radio Call-in Show to take Callers
from all over the West Coast from San Diego to Alaska.

IMHO - KGO is what every 50 KW "Clear-Channel"
AM/MW Radio Station should be :
* Regional Coverage and Programming to Match
* Original Local Hosts and Programming
* No Syndication Allowed
Resulting in 100 Distinct Radio Voices Across the Nation

~ RHF
Old September 11th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 11, 11:44 am, wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:07 am, Steve wrote:

[...]

Again, having the option to DX matters to many people in much the way
that having the option to one day visit Lake Tahoe does. So, the
"masses: aren't the problem. The problem is companies like Ibiquity
that will gladly destroy a big swath of the spectrum in order to turn
a quick profit.

The only good news is that it will be a quick and shortlived profit,
as the business model of HD (or at any rate HD AM) is laughable.

Landfags hypocrisy I Am Not George CB 5 October 17th 04 06:07 AM
John Kerry's hypocrisy proves his contempt for voter intelligence Llgpt Shortwave 7 April 13th 04 11:03 PM
Landshark Is King Of Hypocrisy Hawaii 5-0 CB 0 January 13th 04 04:18 AM
REAL twitsed HYPOCRISY Duke Of RRCB CB 24 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
TWISTEDHED HYPOCRISY Duke Of RRCB CB 3 January 10th 04 01:07 AM