RadioBanter

-   -   HD radio won't just go away. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125333-hd-radio-wont-just-go-away.html)

Brenda Ann October 1st 07 07:11 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"craigm" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:

"

Streaming is not DX. Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband internet access that would allow them to listen to
these streams? Ain't gonna happen, because nobody is supplying broadband
outside of cities. (hint: satellite internet doesn't handle streaming
audio for beans, since the backhaul is still via telephone modem, and the
lag doesn't allow for enough FEC... )

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?

Sure.

Downlink is from the bird. You still have to be connected to a phone line
for your uplink (unless you want to pay beuxcoup bux for an uplink
transmitter). Thus, you get good download speeds, but the return path is a
slow 56Kb/s phone modem. This causes long ping times, which causes poor
forward error correction and nasty slow uploads.

Brenda Ann October 1st 07 07:16 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
Streaming audio certainly isn't DX, but I fully support Wimax and
internet radio because (1) they're going send HD radio into the
dustbin and (2) they don't destroy a huge swath of spectrum. Perhaps
after Wimax results in the commercial death of HD radio we'll get to
see something truly new and truly interesting pop up on MW.

At that point, there will not be AM... the spectrum will be used for
something important, like radio controlled plastic cars from Radio Shack.

The 1MHz AMBCB spectrum is pretty much useless for anything BUT
broadcasting. The very long wavelengths are not usable for things like
telephones, R/C, etc., which need the short wavelengths and their
corresponding short antennae for portability. It took mid-UHF frequencies to
begin to make cellular phones viable.

Brenda Ann October 1st 07 07:25 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"SFTV_troy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:

Streaming audio certainly isn't DX, but I fully support Wimax and
internet radio because (1) they're going send HD radio into the
dustbin and (2) they don't destroy a huge swath of spectrum.

It doesn't? According to wikipedia, the EU has set-aside 300
megahertz of space! That's a heck of a "huge swatch" of spectrum. 15
times larger than what's allocated to FM, and 300 times larger than
the AM allocation.

I call that huge.

300 MHz isn't beans at 2.4 GHz (or higher). It's also not a lot when you
consider that the bandwidth will be used by thousands or more users. Once
you break it down into individual slices of bandwidth for each of those
users, it doesn't really allow for much. Wireless N for your home network
passes up to 200Mb/s.. you don't think that takes a lot of bandwidth?

Cell phone systems use large swaths of bandwidth, even with coded and time
domain sharing, and they will be taking up even more in the near future.
Some will use frequencies vacated by the upper television channels.

Skybird October 1st 07 07:36 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
craigm wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:

"

Streaming is not DX. Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband internet access that would allow them to listen to
these streams? Ain't gonna happen, because nobody is supplying broadband
outside of cities. (hint: satellite internet doesn't handle streaming
audio for beans, since the backhaul is still via telephone modem, and the
lag doesn't allow for enough FEC... )

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?

You make requests or upload files / data over the phone line. The
download path to you is the satellite dish. If you are surfing the net
your requests and upstream data are small and the downloads such as
movie trailers, video, and streaming media are high bit rate.

Not anymore-

http://www.elitesat.com/

dxAce October 1st 07 09:48 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

David Eduardo wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The LA stations are not licensed to serve the coast up above Ventura
County.... that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay outside their protected contour, and
what
is supposed to be heard are the local stations in each place.

The cliffs along route 1 are mostly in LA county. I see you don't live
around here after all or you would know this.

You did not specify. The road runs up the entire coast, and the cliffs
around the central coast or Big Sur seem more impressivde.

Must be a magic radio in your car or you have never driven that
road. Every post you make, makes you look less real to me.

I certainly have never been fool enough to try to hear LA stations up
towards Santa Barbara. The former KRUZ, now KVYB, has a great signal
along there from around Camarillo up to SLo, for example. In fact,
that station gets good ratings in 5 different markets, from Oxnard to
Santa Barbara to SLO to Santa Maria and Bakersfield.

I wrote route 1, not route 101 as soon as you leave Santa Monica. You
are not on the same map.

The 101 and the 1 are the same with a dual designation in areas, and
separate in others. You obviously have never looked at a road map.

You obviously never sought help for your problem(s).

[email protected] October 1st 07 10:48 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

Brenda Ann wrote:
"David Eduardo" wrote in message
In each market area, all listening to any radio station is recorded by
listeners as is the instruction in the Arbitron diary. Commercial or
non-commercial, local or not, internet or off air, satellite or
terrestrial. All is recorded and processed. If there is any significant
listening to out of market stations it is recorded.

WRONG. Arbitron does NOT log "ALL LISTENING". They log a small
percentage of listening, and profess to know what all the rest are doing

Yes. Same way that TV Nielsen Ratings work. Statistics science has
shown you don't need to record everybody..... you can record a small
sample & still get an accurate result of how the group as a whole
thinks.

While it's true such a process won't record any amount below ~0.1
percent of the group, let's face it.... nobody cares about such small
tiny insignificant numbers.

[email protected] October 1st 07 10:52 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

Brenda Ann wrote:

No, I believe the issue is that YOU don't seem to understand that there are
clear, listenable signals beyond your precious 10mV/m contours.

Dear Grandma (and grandpa):

Stop fiddling with your tube amplifier, and listen to the radio on the
internet. (Yes you can even do it through a 56K dialup modem.)

World War II is over; come into the 21 century.

[email protected] October 1st 07 10:55 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

Steve wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:35 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

There's no need. The internet and tradional broadcast radio/tv can
coexist.

Internet radio will eliminate the need for outdated
modes of broadcasting. You can't fight progress.

You can't fight consumer desire either. Just because YOU think
internet transmission is better doesn't mean the People will agree.
Look at the colossal failure called WebTV ("bring internet to your
set"). Consumers ignored it.

[email protected] October 1st 07 11:03 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

RHF wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:53 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Sep 29, 3:31 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:

Do you understand the consequences of what
you propose? Apparently you do not.

- No, because I can not read your mind.
- Please explain the consequences.

- - That's An Evasive Answer - Please Answer The Question.

- Ahhh, you're taking the "arrogant position"
- where you presume, "Troy is a ****ing idiot"
- and "I'm smarter than Troy", therefore "I'll talk
- down to him like he's a worthless worm."

"That's An Evasive Answer - Please Answer The Question."
Is a Straight In-Your-Face Statement
{ One-to-One / Eyeball-to-Eyeball }

I don't want you "in my face". You're invading my personal space.
Step back, and calm down, and talk like a CNN reporter, not a guy at
the football arena (stop capitalizing everything; stop yelling).

- How rude and unfriendly.

It is Rude and Unfriendly to Ask you to actually
Listen to the AM/MW Radio Band and the very
Negative Effect that IBOC has had on It :

I've heard it. I don't care, because it doesn't affect the local
stations I am listening to. I don't care, because when I want to do
distant listening, I am not stuck back in World War 2. I am in the
21st century and use the internet.

Listening 'On-Line' is not Free Over-the-Air Radio

Yes it is. Just as watching NBC or FOX on your cable is still free
over-the-air television. They are still sending out their waves to
their local markets.

[email protected] October 1st 07 11:13 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 30, 7:26 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article . com,

SFTV_troy wrote:
RHF wrote:

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times more programs to
choose from.

SFTV_troy are you on d'Eduardo's Pay Roll ?
-or- Work for any of the Companies that Employ Him ?
-or- Work for a Radio Station using his Programming ?

Nope. I'm an electrical engineer who designs computer boards and
circuits.

I'd expect an electrical engineer to be more knowledgeable than your
posts indicate.

If you think one person can possibly know EVERYTHING there is to know
about the subject of electronics/electrical devices. For example:

- Do you know what VHDL is?
- How about a state machine?
- Synchronous DDR?
- PCI Express?
- Flip-flop?
- What does GCLK mean in the context of FPGAs?
- What are constraints?

This is just a small sample of what I know, because this is what I
work upon every day..... but I suspect a lot of it you have no clue
what it's about. And that's fine. Because I don't expect one person
to know everything there is to know about EE.