RadioBanter

-   -   HD radio won't just go away. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125333-hd-radio-wont-just-go-away.html)

Telamon October 1st 07 03:00 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
craigm wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
craigm wrote:

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?

You make requests or upload files / data over the phone line. The
download path to you is the satellite dish. If you are surfing the net
your requests and upstream data are small and the downloads such as
movie trailers, video, and streaming media are high bit rate.

... and ...

SFTV_troy wrote:

Computers operate in two directions during internet access. Typically
the phone line or DSL or cable line flows both down & up across the
same wire, but not satellite:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line

So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.
The thing Brenda forgot is that virtually all of these AM websites are
optimized for phone line usage. I don't need broadband to DX to
California or the UK or Australia via my 56K modem.

Well, Wildblue and Hughesnet are the two major providers of satellite access
in the US and they both use two way satellite connections. They do not use
the phone.

Both offer higher upload speeds than a conventional phone line can provide.

Makes one wonder what else you don't understand.

The systems I looked at a few years ago worked as I described. If you
can now get up link and down link satellite then the up link bit rates
can improve. Ping times will still be larger compared to DSL due to the
propagation time to from the 22K miles away bird.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon October 1st 07 03:01 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
If KOH is not coming in well I don't listen. I try again the next night
and if reception is good, and it usually is, then I stay tuned in.
That's going to happen a lot less now that I have HD hiss in the
background all the time. Now I'll be listening to KOH very infrequently
to never because I'm not going to listen to that bacon frying sound in
the background. It's very annoying.

And KROW could care less. They get most of their revenue 6 AM to 7 PM in the
groudnwave coverage area around Reno. They get no benefit from you or even
10,000 like you in Ventura County, CA.

What's more important here is I don't care that a faker doesn't care.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 03:04 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Telamon" wrote in message

Try driving it again. Ocean on one side and high cliffs on the other
such that FM is pretty much dead. You will not pick up anything from the
LA area just a few stations from up or down the coast.

The LA stations are not licensed to serve the coast up above Ventura
County.... that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay outside their protected contour, and what
is supposed to be heard are the local stations in each place.

Must be a magic
radio in your car or you have never driven that road. Every post you
make, makes you look less real to me.

I certainly have never been fool enough to try to hear LA stations up
towards Santa Barbara. The former KRUZ, now KVYB, has a great signal along
there from around Camarillo up to SLo, for example. In fact, that station
gets good ratings in 5 different markets, from Oxnard to Santa Barbara to
SLO to Santa Maria and Bakersfield.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 03:05 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

So the reality is you don't know but are guessing based on manufactured
statistics or stuff you read on the Internet. However, although you do
not have direct knowledge you feel free to tell me what I can receive
well or not. What a crock.

1. Arbitron data is not manufactured, and if you combine a year of
surveys,
and read the data in MapMaker, you can easily do a "fuzzy line" plot of
where a station has useful coverage. It's funny that it tends to match
the
10 mvm contour nicely.

2. I do not get any data on the internet. Before we could process the
data
in Maximiser, we had to plot every diary against a map of ZIPs at
Arbitrons's HQ in Maryland. Ask the Arbitron folks who was there most
often
to do that?

3. I have no interest in what you receive. I have an interest in what
people
can listen to, so I made sure I knew what a listenable signal was, first.

More importantly you have no interest in reality.

reality is what the broad based public does. What you individually do is
irrelevant.

Telamon October 1st 07 04:56 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The LA stations are not licensed to serve the coast up above Ventura
County.... that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay outside their protected contour, and
what
is supposed to be heard are the local stations in each place.

The cliffs along route 1 are mostly in LA county. I see you don't live
around here after all or you would know this.

You did not specify. The road runs up the entire coast, and the cliffs
around the central coast or Big Sur seem more impressivde.

Must be a magic radio in your car or you have never driven that
road. Every post you make, makes you look less real to me.

I certainly have never been fool enough to try to hear LA stations up
towards Santa Barbara. The former KRUZ, now KVYB, has a great signal
along there from around Camarillo up to SLo, for example. In fact,
that station gets good ratings in 5 different markets, from Oxnard to
Santa Barbara to SLO to Santa Maria and Bakersfield.

I wrote route 1, not route 101 as soon as you leave Santa Monica. You
are not on the same map.

The 101 and the 1 are the same with a dual designation in areas, and
separate in others. You obviously have never looked at a road map.

OK, now that you know where of I speak please comment on the FM
reception of route 1 just north of Santa Monica.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 05:07 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Telamon" wrote in message
OK, now that you know where of I speak please comment on the FM
reception of route 1 just north of Santa Monica.

It's a good place to have an internet connection. Actually, the FM reception
from Wilson up to about halfway through Malibu is OK; I was in a Canyon off
PCH in the Palisades for a while and all the stations I was interested in
came in fine until in the total shadow of the Santa Monicas up to Point
Magoo, where reception was spotty. Fortunately, not many people live there.

Telamon October 1st 07 06:30 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The LA stations are not licensed to serve the coast up above
Ventura County.... that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay outside their protected
contour, and what is supposed to be heard are the local stations
in each place.

The cliffs along route 1 are mostly in LA county. I see you don't
live around here after all or you would know this.

You did not specify. The road runs up the entire coast, and the
cliffs around the central coast or Big Sur seem more impressivde.

Must be a magic radio in your car or you have never driven that
road. Every post you make, makes you look less real to me.

I certainly have never been fool enough to try to hear LA stations
up towards Santa Barbara.

Snip

Why, foolhardy you say? You bet!

Ah, yes the risk would be great to try for an LA station around Santa
Barbara. You could lose your life on such an attempt if you failed.
Imagine... there you are in the middle lane of route 101 in Santa
Barbara your brow furrowed in the intense concentration required to get
that DX before... before that semi barreling down on you makes
connection... sweating profusely working the controls of the radio
with the multi-ton rig of death bearing down on you... horn blaring the
driver can't stop in time... this is it... the last seconds of your
life ticking away as you try for that station ID... time seems to go
into slow motion as you work the controls of the radio... and... AND...
THERE YOU GOT IT... and in those last few seconds you leap for the
shoulder of the highway... the rig screeeems past, barely missing you,
the driver shaking his fist at you, the horn blaring away. Suddenly,
it's over, you made it... or is it?

Lying there in a crumpled mess of ice plant by the side of the highway
the radio just a few feet from your head where it landed your attention
turns toward it again. In your current state of shock from barely
avoiding the rig of death the surreal voice emanating from the radio is
babbling about some guy trying to commit suicide on the 101. Before
those words can even sink into your thick skull, you notice a siren in
the distance. Listening intently now... you notice it's not one but
maybe two... they are getting closer now... but you are content to just
lie there savoring in the moment that you are still alive and all that
it entails... including that nice DX catch you just made!

Next thing you know a CHP cruiser screeches to a halt a few feet from
you, a white ambulance just behind it. Standing up now your head swirls
as the officer is reading your rights and the nice men in the white
coats slip you into a new jacket that they explain will prevent you
from further hurting yourself. Protesting you try to explain that you
were just trying for a FM DX catch from LA but they don't believe you.
"Nobody listens to an LA FM station in Santa Barbara they say" and they
laugh and laugh at the notion coming from the crazy guy wandering on
the 101, so intent on operating the radio controls he wanders into
freeway traffic.

To be continued... Next up Eduardo discovers a new reality aided by
psychotropic drugs.

Don't Worry Eduardo. I promise to visit you at the funny farm.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon October 1st 07 06:40 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
OK, now that you know where of I speak please comment on the FM
reception of route 1 just north of Santa Monica.

It's a good place to have an internet connection. Actually, the FM reception
from Wilson up to about halfway through Malibu is OK; I was in a Canyon off
PCH in the Palisades for a while and all the stations I was interested in
came in fine until in the total shadow of the Santa Monicas up to Point
Magoo, where reception was spotty. Fortunately, not many people live there.

How many people do you think drive on that road to and from work?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Brenda Ann October 1st 07 07:01 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
t...

You still do not get the difference between hearable and listenable.

No, I believe the issue is that YOU don't seem to understand that there are
clear, listenable signals beyond your precious 10mV/m contours. Perhaps the
issue is that once you get outside of those contours, there are fewer
people, fewer homes, fewer sources of interference, and therefore, clearer
reception. Please do not tell people what is listenable, because YOU DO NOT
KNOW! PERIOD! Until you go to someone's home or office, and actually LISTEN
to what they are listening to, you are in no position whatsoever to tell
them what they can and cannot listen to. Even then, it becomes a subjective
matter. As it stands, your stats are BS, pure and simple.

Brenda Ann October 1st 07 07:05 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
In each market area, all listening to any radio station is recorded by
listeners as is the instruction in the Arbitron diary. Commercial or
non-commercial, local or not, internet or off air, satellite or
terrestrial. All is recorded and processed. If there is any significant
listening to out of market stations it is recorded.

WRONG. Arbitron does NOT log "ALL LISTENING". They log a small percentage
of listening, and profess to know what all the rest are doing based upon
that. Statistics are crap. They are not, and really can never be, accurate.
They are mathematical sleight of hand. Smoke and mirrors. I doubt there is
any real scientific foundation for them at all, since it's highly unlikely
that anyone did a small sample, then went to six million people and asked
each of them the same questions to verify the numbers.