RadioBanter

-   -   HD radio won't just go away. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125333-hd-radio-wont-just-go-away.html)

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 03:18 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
OK, now that you know where of I speak please comment on the FM
reception of route 1 just north of Santa Monica.

It's a good place to have an internet connection. Actually, the FM
reception
from Wilson up to about halfway through Malibu is OK; I was in a Canyon
off
PCH in the Palisades for a while and all the stations I was interested in
came in fine until in the total shadow of the Santa Monicas up to Point
Magoo, where reception was spotty. Fortunately, not many people live
there.

How many people do you think drive on that road to and from work?

Very few commute from LA County to Ventura, so it would not affect LA
ratings; the percentage of Ventura County residents is also probably so low
as to be statistically insignificant. My guess is that, given the amount of
time in the shadow of the mountains vs. total time used with radio by the
average listener is that this has no impact at all on either the LA book or
the Ventura County one.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 03:23 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
t...

You still do not get the difference between hearable and listenable.

No, I believe the issue is that YOU don't seem to understand that there
are clear, listenable signals beyond your precious 10mV/m contours.
Perhaps the issue is that once you get outside of those contours, there
are fewer people, fewer homes, fewer sources of interference, and
therefore, clearer reception.

Yes, this is true.. interference is lower outside the metros, so less strong
signals are usable. The real thing is that 60% of the US populaiton is in
the top 50 metros, and by the time you get to the 300th rated market, you
have coverage of over 85% of the US. Most of these areas haved high noise
levels caused by electric lines, computers, etc., that did not exist a few
decades ago (in the case of line noise, electric companies actually cared in
the past, now they laugh at interference complaints).

Please do not tell people what is listenable, because YOU DO NOT KNOW!
PERIOD! Until you go to someone's home or office, and actually LISTEN to
what they are listening to, you are in no position whatsoever to tell them
what they can and cannot listen to. Even then, it becomes a subjective
matter. As it stands, your stats are BS, pure and simple.

The data I have shows what, in the home and at work (Arbitron provides ZIP
data for each) people listen to, and by elimination, what they don't listen
to. The fact is, they do not listen to lesser signals. We have the data,
compiled from review of what amounts to millions of listening incidents over
more than a decade and the software to map the listening. The listening is
concentrated within very tight contours.

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 03:28 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
In each market area, all listening to any radio station is recorded by
listeners as is the instruction in the Arbitron diary. Commercial or
non-commercial, local or not, internet or off air, satellite or
terrestrial. All is recorded and processed. If there is any significant
listening to out of market stations it is recorded.

WRONG. Arbitron does NOT log "ALL LISTENING". They log a small percentage
of listening, and profess to know what all the rest are doing based upon
that.

You know what I meant: the Arbiytron diarykeeper logs all listening and all
that listening is processed.

Statistics are crap. They are not, and really can never be, accurate.

They are accurate within a margin of error that is easily calculated, and is
small enough for advertisers to spend $21 billion on radio this year.

Statistics is a science, and it has the unique quality that "error" is not a
dirty word. Speaking of samples, when you last had a blood test, did they
take all your blood, or just a small percentage? They took a sample, as they
know that it would faithfully represent all the rest of your blood. This is
exactly what a good poll does; a good sample can be tested, as Arbitron has
done, by a replication study where the same thing is done twice to see if
the reuslts are the same... and they are.

They are mathematical sleight of hand. Smoke and mirrors. I doubt there is
any real scientific foundation for them at all, since it's highly unlikely
that anyone did a small sample, then went to six million people and asked
each of them the same questions to verify the numbers.

That is not how you test a poll. It is done by a replication study. You do a
sample, then repeat it. If you get identical results, the sample size and
procedure is valid.

RHF October 1st 07 05:10 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Oct 1, 2:48 am, wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:
"David Eduardo" wrote in message
t...
In each market area, all listening to any radio station is recorded by
listeners as is the instruction in the Arbitron diary. Commercial or
non-commercial, local or not, internet or off air, satellite or
terrestrial. All is recorded and processed. If there is any significant
listening to out of market stations it is recorded.

WRONG. Arbitron does NOT log "ALL LISTENING". They log a small
percentage of listening, and profess to know what all the rest are doing

Yes. Same way that TV Nielsen Ratings work. Statistics science has
shown you don't need to record everybody..... you can record a small
sample & still get an accurate result of how the group as a whole
thinks.

- While it's true such a process won't record any amount below
- ~0.1 percent of the group, let's face it.... nobody cares about
- such small tiny insignificant numbers.

SFTV,

IMHO - The majority of the people who read and post here
are in that Group of People (DXers) that you just said (wrote)
"nobody cares about such small tiny insignificant numbers."

Are You Related To d'Eduardo ?

Individual People are Human Beings - Not Quantifiable Numbers.

'feeling' so tiny and insignificant right now ~ RHF

RHF October 1st 07 05:14 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Oct 1, 2:52 am, wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

No, I believe the issue is that YOU don't seem to understand that there are
clear, listenable signals beyond your precious 10mV/m contours.

- Dear Grandma (and grandpa):
-
- Stop fiddling with your tube amplifier, and listen to the radio on
the
- internet. (Yes you can even do it through a 56K dialup modem.)
-
- World War II is over; come into the 21 century.

sftv - and you call other people 'arrogant' ~ rhf

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 06:59 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 1, 2:48 am, wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:
[...]

Actually, it records 0.0 shares based on perhaps one diary mention; the data
is there but all it shows is that in a statistical sample, there is next to
nothing for that particular station. 0 times 0 is 0.

RHF October 1st 07 07:23 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Oct 1, 10:59 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"RHF" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 1, 2:48 am, wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:
[...]

nothing for that particular station. 0 times 0 is 0.- Hide quoted text -

d'Eduardo,

I 'feel' we are not Communicating on the same level.
{ Using the same set of Personal Values. }

I am not a 'share'.
- - - I don't believe that anyone here considers themselves
to be a 'share'. {except you}

I am not a 'statistical sample'.
- - - I don't believe that anyone here considers themselves
to be a 'statistical sample'. {except you}

I am not a 'number'
- - - I don't believe that anyone here considers themselves
to be a 'number'. {except you}

I AM AN AVID RADIO LISTENER [.] -and- I BELIEVE EVERYONE
HERE IS AN AVID RADIO LISTENER ! {EXCEPT YOU}

The Reality of IBOC Sucks :
AM/MW "HD" Radio is 'by-design' Engineered to Interfer
with the two Adjacent AM/MW Radio Channels at 10 kHz.
http://electronicdesign.com/Files/29.../Figure_02.gif

I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In That Distant Land* Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.
* Twain Harte, CA -USA-

Telamon October 2nd 07 02:38 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
[...]

Well, it looks like is past time for you to check out rush hour.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon October 2nd 07 02:40 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article om,
wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
"David Eduardo" wrote in message
In each market area, all listening to any radio station is recorded by
listeners as is the instruction in the Arbitron diary. Commercial or
non-commercial, local or not, internet or off air, satellite or
terrestrial. All is recorded and processed. If there is any significant
listening to out of market stations it is recorded.

WRONG. Arbitron does NOT log "ALL LISTENING". They log a small
percentage of listening, and profess to know what all the rest are doing

Yes. Same way that TV Nielsen Ratings work. Statistics science has
shown you don't need to record everybody..... you can record a small
sample & still get an accurate result of how the group as a whole
thinks.

Right, that way you can juggle the numbers to get the result you want.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon October 2nd 07 02:42 AM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

[...]

Snip

You have that wrong. Can you guess how you are off on a limb?

Give it a shot!

--
Telamon
Ventura, California