Old October 4th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default BBC Shortwave Broadcasts Returning to USA?

Has anyone else heard that BBC is considering resuming shortwave
broadcasts to the USA? Apparently they said that 66% of their
listeners still listen via shortwave and that the pace of decline is
slowing to a trickle. This might mean a resumption of broadcasts that
were hastily cancelled with little thought?

Old October 4th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 3, 10:35 pm, "tom k in L.A." wrote:
Has anyone else heard that BBC is considering resuming shortwave
broadcasts to the USA? Apparently they said that 66% of their
listeners still listen via shortwave and that the pace of decline is
slowing to a trickle. This might mean a resumption of broadcasts that
were hastily cancelled with little thought?

Just wondering where you heard that? It'd be good news if its so.
The African transmissions aren't always reliable, and the afternoon
Carribean broadcast is a bit early on work days.

Old October 4th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"tom k in L.A." wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone else heard that BBC is considering resuming shortwave
broadcasts to the USA? Apparently they said that 66% of their
listeners still listen via shortwave and that the pace of decline is
slowing to a trickle. This might mean a resumption of broadcasts that
were hastily cancelled with little thought?

Haven't heard anything, but I would welcome such action. I now depend on
BBC to SE Asia and Radio Netherlands for my primary overseas news, as well
as Voice of Turkey occasionally. Definetly miss the BBC broadcasts to USA,
or even Australasia.

Dave

Old October 4th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 02:35:51 -0000, "tom k in L.A."
wrote:

Has anyone else heard that BBC is considering resuming shortwave
broadcasts to the USA? Apparently they said that 66% of their
listeners still listen via shortwave and that the pace of decline is
slowing to a trickle. This might mean a resumption of broadcasts that
were hastily cancelled with little thought?

Dream on. The BBCWS sounds terrible on HF.
Old October 4th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
Has anyone else heard that BBC is considering resuming shortwave
broadcasts to the USA? Apparently they said that 66% of their
listeners still listen via shortwave and that the pace of decline is
slowing to a trickle. This might mean a resumption of broadcasts that
were hastily cancelled with little thought?

Dream on. The BBCWS sounds terrible on HF.

Funny - I've never noticed this, whether directed toward the US or
another continent. Always sounded fine to me...

Bruce Jensen

BpnJ - Ditto BBC sounds very good here in Twain Harte, CA
on the High Frequency Bands with the : Grundig Satellit 800
Millennium Radio and a 100 Foot Random Wire Antenna;
and these 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radio
Eton E1 and RF Systems DX-One Professional MkII Antenna
Redsun RP2100 off the Whip Antenna
Sony ICF-SW7600GR off the Whip Antenna

~ RHF

Old October 5th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

.

What? No crystal set?

Old October 5th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 4, 1:38 pm, "Rachael Caldwell" wrote:
What time & freq do you catch that?

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

RC,

During this Summer AO7 these are my posted
BBC Shortwave Radio Reception Reports here :

BBC-WS on 11750 kHz @ 12:00 UTC from Thailand
BBC-WS on 9740 kHz @ 14:50 UTC from Kranji in Singapore
BBC-WS on 9740 kHz @ 9:30 UTC from Kranji in Singapore
BBC-WS on 9740 kHz @ 10:50 UTC from Kranji in Singapore
BBC-WS on 15360 kHz @ 09:45 UTC from Kranji, Singapore
BBC-WS - Business News on 9740 kHz @ 15:50 UTC
BBC-WS - "World Update" on 9740 kHz @ 09:29 UTC

BBC World Service - Current Global Short Wave Frequencies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...es/index.shtml
* Caribbean Area
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...aribbean.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...es/caribca.htm
* East Asia Area {Pacific}
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...ast_asia.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...encies/ase.htm
* South East Asian Area
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...ast_asia.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sc...cies/aspac.htm

BBC World Service - Shortwave Radio Programmes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/default.stm

hope this helps ~ RHF