Old October 15th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Improve FM reception: any boosters or better antennas to use?

Hello,

I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR receiver. I put it down in my
basement. The FM reception is very poor, even with the included FM
antenna. I tried to move it around to different positions to see how
it affects reception. I noticed that if I held the antenna it seemed
to work a little better. Once I let go the reception was poor again.

What FM antenna boosters are available (for a reasonably price, under
say $25) will allow me to get better FM stereo reception?

Thanks

Mike McWhinney

Old October 15th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 15, 11:23 am, eljainc wrote:
Hello,

I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR receiver. I put it down in my
basement. The FM reception is very poor, even with the included FM
antenna. I tried to move it around to different positions to see how
it affects reception. I noticed that if I held the antenna it seemed
to work a little better. Once I let go the reception was poor again.

Check with your local Radio Shack for an outside FM antenna and just
run the wire through the wall. Or, mount a simple dipole antenna in a
ground level or above room and run wire down to the basement.

Old October 15th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Improving FM Radio Reception : The Better Antennas To Use

= = = On Oct 15, 8:23 am, eljainc wrote:
- Hello,
-
- I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR receiver. I put it down in
my
- basement. The FM reception is very poor, even with the included FM
- antenna. I tried to move it around to different positions to see how
- it affects reception. I noticed that if I held the antenna it seemed
- to work a little better. Once I let go the reception was poor again.
-
- What FM antenna boosters are available (for a reasonably price,
under
- say $25) will allow me to get better FM stereo reception?
-
- Thanks
-
- Mike McWhinney

M McW,

IMHO - Forget Boosters until you first have a good strong
and clean FM Signal from an Antenna.

The simplist and best way of Improving FM Radio Reception
is to place an external FM Antenna on the Roof with a Coax
Cable feed-in-line to the Basement; should give you a strong
clean FM Stereo Signal with out the need for a Booster.
.
FM "Omni-Directional" Antenna
ANTENNACRAFT Part Number: FMSS
http://www.summitsource.com/product_...oducts_id=6056 .
http://www.summitsource.com/popup_im...70eebb10d9c400
..
http://www.summitsource.com/product_...oducts_id=6425 .
http://www.summitsource.com/popup_im...D=6425&image=0 .
http://www.tvantenna.com/products/co.../BTY-2-FM.html

For a simple and effective 'indoor' FM Antenna check-out
the C Crane FM Reflect Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/0143.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...t-antenna.aspx

The "Fanfare" FM Antenna is pricy but effective.
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...m-antenna.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73503
-also- the Magnum Dynalab "ST-2" FM Antenna
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm
.
Magnum Dynalab -good set of - FM Antenna FAQ's
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/faq.htm
.
FM Reception Guide
http://www.nhpr.org/node/9546
http://www.vpr.net/help_center/guide_to_good_reception/
http://www.amfmreception.com/fm-radi...eception-guide
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/analo...eception.shtml
http://www.fln.org/index.php?Itemid=...nt&task= view
.
A Guide to FM Reception
http://www.wgbh.org/cainan/article?item_id=1361008
-by- C. Victor Campos and William Busiek
-edited by- John Voci
.
How To - Improve Your FM Radio Reception
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...5/recieve.html
The DXer's Tool Box - CopyRight © Chris Ridley
.
FM Radio Reception Tips
http://www.wnku.org/page_wnku.asp?p=0530000
-from- WFLN/Philadelphia
http://www.ccrane.com/library/fm-rec....11.12.01.aspx
.
.
- iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \