Old November 12th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Analog versus DSP

I'm in the market for a receiver after being out of the hobby for 15
years. After much research, I've narrowed my choice down to two rigs:
AOR-7030+ and Icom 756Pro-III.

I've never owned a IF DSP receiver before. I've owned an R4C, an
FRG-7, and a NRD-525 over the years, but never a DSP rig. Have DSP
receivers reached the point yet where they're a viable alternative to
the best analog rigs? I've heard that first generation DSP rigs, such
as the NRD-545 and the RX-340, have limited dynamic range (relative to
the best analog rigs) due to limited A/D chips. I consider good
dynamic range to be one of the most critical aspects of receiver
performance--do the newer DSP rigs address this issue?

My primary interests are utilities and DXing the MW and SW bands. I
don't do much, if any, program listening, so audio quality isn't an
overriding concern--I just listen long enough the ID the station.

Old November 13th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Make no mistake, the 7030+ is a fine radio, and there are members of
this
group who will defend it until death. However it is not for everyone
due to
it's lack of knobs and buttons and it's quirky menu driven system and
tiny
display. It has a remote that is also very tiny and cramped and
requires you
to line it up carefully to operate as it is optically driven and not
wireless driven. I would strongly advise a hands on demo of it before
purchasing or a two week return policy. See my review of the 7030 at:
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/aor_...r8a_plimmer.dx

I have owned an Icom 756 PRO III for the last three years and can
assure you
that you will be extremely pleased with this beautifully engineered
radio.
It is superb on utilities and you will get the lowest power stations
anywhere in the world with ease. As for MW DXing, that is my
speciality and
it's performance over the difficult 9/10 Khz splits is nothing more
than
awesome. I recently got CFUN Vancouver BC 10,000 miles from here on
1410
Khz. It doesn't get better than that. You will be another extremely
happy
owner if you spend the extra money on the 756Pro3 and will later
consider it
one of the best purchases of your life. See my review of this radio
at:
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic756_plimmer.dx

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old November 14th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
wrote:

Make no mistake, the 7030+ is a fine radio, and there are members of
this group who will defend it until death. However it is not for
everyone due to it's lack of knobs and buttons and it's quirky menu
driven system and tiny display. It has a remote that is also very
tiny and cramped and requires you to line it up carefully to operate
as it is optically driven and not wireless driven. I would strongly
advise a hands on demo of it before purchasing or a two week return
policy. See my review of the 7030 at:
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/aor_...r8a_plimmer.dx

Snip

People think that digital is some mythical way of making something
better than analog. It's not. It is just another type of solution to an
engineering problem. Generally, the largest benefit is in recording and
playback. Everyone is aware of the benefits in this area, and this,
through the magic of BS marketing been extended to all other types of
problems such as HD and DRM modes of communication. Here the solution is
not any better BECAUSE it does not address the root cause of analog
radio propagation and reception in a way that provides a higher level of
service and reliability. Worse for these digital modes is that the costs
involved are higher for a similar level of service.

Sitting between the obvious improved benefits of audio digital recording
and playback and the utter failure of HD and DRM in radio communications
would be digital filtering in receivers due to the costs involved.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 14th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 11:44 am, wrote:
[...]

Unless I missed it, the ICOM doesn't have synch demod. Not the end of
the world. The AR7030+NB cost does rise a bit if you consider adding
the filter daughter board and more filters. The notch filter works
well. I never found much use for the noise blanker. I never use the
7030 remote. Once you understand the menus, it is quite easy to
operate.

Old November 15th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe, thanks for your well presented and considered reply. I did say
that the 7030 was a fine radio and that there were those (you!) who
would defend it to the death.

It brings to mind the old adages: beauty is in the eye of the
beholder, and, one man's meat is another man's poison. You love your
7030 and I don't like it, but I hasten to agree that indeed it would
also have received well my catch on MW of Vancouver BC.

The real point about radio's is it really doesn't matter much: if a
half decent radio is connected to a good antenna and in the hands of
an experienced and talented DXer you can receive the world. One of my
best MW DX buddies who has shared many a DXpedition with me insists on
using only his very old and much battered Yaesu FRG-7, yet I would
rate him right alongside the very best MW DXer's in the world with the
results he gets and the outstanding recordings he produces of rare
faint far off stations. A few years back I remember the chap who won
the difficult and prestigious Danish DX Club annual Challenge was
using a Yaesu FRG-7700, a most pedestrian receiver. So it really
doesn't matter Joe, it's more about what you personally like and what
gets you fired up to enjoy twiddling those dials.

I was weaned on a Eddystone (Marconi) valve radio 40 years ago and
it's fine Roll's Royce engineering has stayed with me to this day.
It's huge weighted tuning knob and the fine gearing to the tuning caps
was an engineering revelation and a pleasure to own and operate. My
Icom 756 PRO III continues that fine engineering tradition: a
beautifully crafted fascia, fine sturdy solid metal casing and
beautifully engineered knobs and buttons are a pleasure to behold and
work with. It has a huge well crafted tuning knob with a roller
bearing tuning finger indent = superb! A great pleasure to own and
operate such a fine piece of engineering. It goes without saying that
the radio side is superb as well.

I had all three Drake R8 series radio's and hated them although I was
impressed with the superior radio performance. DxAce thinks they are
the best thing since George Washington came to town, but I couldn't
stand the flimsy tinny covers, the wobbly buttons and the awful cheap
plastic tuning knob.

Then there are my other MW co-DXer's who own Drakes in the U.S and NRD
545D's in Scandinavia, but nearly all have migrated to the new SDR-IQ
and are now going to move on to the latest Italian Perseus. I cant
stand SDR's and doubt I will ever own one. If I win the Lotto one day
I will go for the new Icom IC-7700, but at 55 pounds I don't know how
I will ever get it up the hill on my Jongensgat Dxpedition's..???

So Joe, you enjoy your 7030 and continue to tout it and I will enjoy
my Icom and tout that too................

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

On Nov 12, 9:44 pm, wrote:

[...]

Dear John,

Not to be obtuse, but you only used a borrowed AR7030 over ten years
ago and there have been many changes (all for the better) since then.
I have owned one since March of 2004 and have extensive experience
with it. In your review, you mention that computer control of this
radio is very slow - and indeed it was way back then but today, if you
use the FREE RxWings program, response is practically instantaneous.
This program also allows the radio to be operated as though it were
NOT menu-driven. One can see and adjust/operate almost all the
controls via one's computer. In addition you mention that the AR7030
has only memory scan - and you are correct UNLESS one is using
RxWings. With this program, you have full frequency scanning and with
fully adjustable parameters that you can set to your heart's delight.
As a matter of fact, the RxWings program takes advantage of MANY
capabilities and features of the receiver that are generally not
available with the receiver's controls alone.

I do not want to get into a discussion about the merits of the AR7030
'Plus' vs. the Icom 756Pro-III, especially as I have never seen one of
the Icoms, but I would ask that people here cease repeating the old
canards about operating the AR7030 'Plus' as they have long-since been
discredited. First, even if one wishes to use the radio with its
controls alone, it is just not that hard to do! If one can operate a
VCR, a DVD player, one of the new HD televisions, or even a cell-
phone, he/she will find operating the AR7030 a "piece of cake." We
have ALL learned to use "menu-driven" products in the last ten years!
And, as I said, with the RxWings program, operation of the radio is
practically the same as if it had buttons and knobs galore. Just about
everything is controllable (and its parameters fully user-adjustable)
in ALL modes with this program.

As for your MW reception, John, it is most remarkable and deserving of
heartiest congratulations. I must state, however, that I believe that
you would have achieved exactly the same results with an AR7030 'Plus'
and that radio, even fully "tricked-out," costs far less than the
Icom. (And while I cannot comment from personal experience as, again,
I have no experience with the Icom, but just by knowing their
reputation, I would bet that the audio quality of your MW catches
would be at least as good with the AR7030 'Plus' as with the Icom -
though I'd be willing to bet it would be far better with the AOR
radio.)

The AOR AR7030 'Plus' as available from Universal with its price of
$1499.00 for the basic receiver and $339.95 [plus $25.00 installation]
is, in my opinion, a genuine bargain considering its overall
performance, sound quality, and construction quality. Remember the
computer control program I recommend is FREE. Should a user wish to
buy the daughter board for $59.95 in anticipation of installing
crystal filter(s) at some future time, the price still comes to only
$1923.90 plus shipping. Not a bad deal for all of which this radio is
capable. (The only other desirable "option" is an external speaker,
the price being what you desire and can afford. Generally no more that
$50.00 need be spent; mine cost $29.95 at Radio Shack! Headphones are
a good idea also. But most people already have these items laying
around.)

Before the gentleman who started this post makes a decision, I
STRONGLY recommend that he purchase the Radio Database International
"White Paper" - AOR AR7030 Series Tabletop Receivers. This costs only
$6.95 postpaid from Passband.com. https://www.passband.com/secure/orderform.htm#Anchor-RADIO-3800. As a matter of fact, I would recommend than ANYONE with even a

modicum of interest in a fine table model LW/MW/SW receiver buy this
inexpensive "White Paper." You will find it most enlightening.

I am sure that, whichever receiver the gentleman ultimately chooses,
he will be well satisfied.

As I stated above, I do not wish to get into a pointless discussion,
much less an argument, about the merits of these radios but, John, I
did want to bring to your attention that some of your experiences with
the AR7030 are now outdated.

All the best,

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Old November 15th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Okay, okay, I promise I won't sell the 756Pro = it's an outstanding
radio

On Nov 15, 9:15 pm, Bart Bailey wrote:
In

posted on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:04:35 -0800 (PST),
wrote: Begin

If I win the Lotto one day
I will go for the new Icom IC-7700,

Even the Icom ads in the latest HRO catalog describe the 7700 as
the "contesters" rig to use after spotting a station with the 756P3.

Old November 15th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 9:44 pm, wrote:

[...]

read more

Dear John,

Thank you for your comments. You are correct in almost everything you
say, especially about experienced users. With them, it ALMOST doesn't
matter which receiver they are using - as long as they know what
they're doing and have, of course, a proper antenna matched to the
receiver in use. I too loved the old tube receivers and I still fire
up my old Lafayette HE-10 two or three times a year for old time's
sake. There is little that I can hear on my AR7030 'Plus' that I
cannot also hear on the Lafayette with the same [Wellbrook ALA 330S]
antenna. However, with due regard for those who continue to use their
older receivers, I personally would not want to go back to using one.
I really appreciate the performance of which modern receivers are
capable.

My comments were to you but also to the gentleman who started this
post. He is looking for advice about buying either the AOR or the
Icom. I merely wanted to let him (and you) know that the radio has
indeed evolved in the last ten years and should not be discounted on
the basis of early, and in many cases negative - especially concerning
the operating system, reviews. I myself researched modern
communications receivers for about ten years before I bought the AOR.
(Any communications receiver is, after all, a rather expensive
purchase.) The delay was partly because of those negative early
reviews which complained about how difficult the receiver was to
operate. Frankly, I was frightened by those reviews. It was only after
speaking with several individuals, most notably Richard Hillier of AOR-
UK, that I decided to buy one. I am very glad I did.

I do not "defend this receiver unto death" but merely want to point
out to the gentleman seeking to buy a new communications receiver that
he should thoroughly investigate his two choices before making his
decision. Either one of his choices would serve him splendidly.
Ignoring the transmitter portion of the Icom, the difference,
basically, is between knobs and dials vs. menu-driven operating
systems. The menu-driven system of the AOR allows performance equal to
or superior to anything on the market at a much lower cost than it
would be were the radio to have expensive mechanical components. The
free computer-control program [RxWings] is a "bonus."

Thus the cost of the AOR AR7030 'Plus' is much lower than that of the
Icom 756Pro-III and I should think that the AOR performs AT LEAST as
well as the Icom with, I suspect, better sound quality (for which the
AR7030 is known). Please again take note of the fact that I personally
have no experience with the Icom transceiver.

I repeat that I believe either receiver would serve him well.

Best,

Joe
Old November 16th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 14, 10:02 pm, Joe Analssandrini
wrote:

I do not want to get into a discussion about the merits of the AR7030
'Plus' vs. the Icom 756Pro-III, especially as I have never seen one of
the Icoms, but I would ask that people here cease repeating the old
canards about operating the AR7030 'Plus' as they have long-since been
discredited. First, even if one wishes to use the radio with its
controls alone, it is just not that hard to do! If one can operate a
VCR, a DVD player, one of the new HD televisions, or even a cell-
phone, he/she will find operating the AR7030 a "piece of cake." We
have ALL learned to use "menu-driven" products in the last ten years!

When people complain that the menu system is 'complicated', I don't
think they mean that it is complicated in the sense of 'difficult to
understand'. Rather, they mean--or at any rate, I would mean--that it
is complicated in the sense of requiring a larger number of movements
or 'button pushes' and/or 'dial twists' per setting change. If you're
DXing weak signals you will likely be continually adjusting some
setting or other. It's not like a VCR or HD television, where you get
it set up and then just let it go. Adding just a single modest step to
the process of adjusting filter width or notch might not seem like a
big deal, but you have to imagine it multiplied many thousands of
times.

Old November 16th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

That's why I use the remote control. It has direct buttons to functions
lower in the menus.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 16th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 16, 12:03 am, Bart Bailey wrote:
In

posted on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:59:46 -0800 (PST), Steve wrote: Begin

wrote:

[...]

But isn't knob twirling and button pushing
an accepted part of the allure of SW DXing?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it's accepted. It's accepted because it's inevitable, but I don't
think anyone wants to there to be any more knob twiddling and button
pushing than is necessary to get the job done.

Mixing high side versus low side and (f1 - f2) versus (f1 + f2) [email protected] Homebrew 6 July 18th 07 02:44 AM
796 versus 780 4phun@goggle-labs-groups2 Scanner 3 June 2nd 04 01:07 AM
IC-735 versus IC-726 Dan Dx 6 May 25th 04 02:18 PM
IC-735 versus IC-726 Dan Dx 0 May 24th 04 11:32 PM
ic-735 versus ic-726 Dan General 0 May 24th 04 12:08 AM