Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 12th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Analog versus DSP

I'm in the market for a receiver after being out of the hobby for 15
years. After much research, I've narrowed my choice down to two rigs:
AOR-7030+ and Icom 756Pro-III.

I've never owned a IF DSP receiver before. I've owned an R4C, an
FRG-7, and a NRD-525 over the years, but never a DSP rig. Have DSP
receivers reached the point yet where they're a viable alternative to
the best analog rigs? I've heard that first generation DSP rigs, such
as the NRD-545 and the RX-340, have limited dynamic range (relative to
the best analog rigs) due to limited A/D chips. I consider good
dynamic range to be one of the most critical aspects of receiver
performance--do the newer DSP rigs address this issue?

My primary interests are utilities and DXing the MW and SW bands. I
don't do much, if any, program listening, so audio quality isn't an
overriding concern--I just listen long enough the ID the station.

Mixing high side versus low side and (f1 - f2) versus (f1 + f2) [email protected] Homebrew 6 July 18th 07 02:44 AM
796 versus 780 4phun@goggle-labs-groups2 Scanner 3 June 2nd 04 01:07 AM
IC-735 versus IC-726 Dan Dx 6 May 25th 04 02:18 PM
IC-735 versus IC-726 Dan Dx 0 May 24th 04 11:32 PM
ic-735 versus ic-726 Dan General 0 May 24th 04 12:08 AM