Old December 17th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default "The Extras" Make AM/FM Radio Music Formats Better Than An iPod

On Dec 16, 5:22 pm, David wrote:
RJ wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 06:03:57 -0800, David wrote:

RJ wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Sean Hannity's warning for music-oriented Radio

"Music radio is going to be in trouble."

I do most of my MW listening late-nite.
The ONLY music stations I receive are from Mexico. !

rj
There is no profit to be made selling canned music. It is freely
available and it belongs to everyone.

Then, there's no profit in selling ( commercial ) radio either.
It's freely available, and belongs to everyone.

rj

- The point is that radio needs compelling exclusive content.
- Canned music is not the killer app.

David,

AM Mono 'Canned' Music in the 1940s was a "Killer App".

FM Stereo 'Canned' Music in the 1970s was a "Killer App".

iPod Personalized Digital Stereo 'Canned' Music in the 2000s
is a "Killer App". A Music Library in the Palm of your Hand.

-BUT- Most AM/FM "Music" Radio Stations offer more than
just Music in their All Music Formats; and this 'extra'
Content for many Listeners makes AM/FM Radio the preferred
'choice' of many Listeners - Who Choose Radio.

"The Extras" Make AM/FM Radio Music Formats Better Than An iPod

The Extras : News + Weather + Traffic + Info + Stuff

yes i heard it on the 'free' over-the-air radio ~ RHF
Old December 17th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 17, 6:06 am, David wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Dec 16, 5:22 pm, David wrote:
RJ wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 06:03:57 -0800, David wrote:
RJ wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

.

- Who still does news?

Most AM & FM Radio Stations still "Do-the-News"
in some form or fashion.

- The weather is obvious.

DOH - Not Beyond "Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head" !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02X5hCfxEX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=howEAqstkzQ
David I 'forcast' that you Weather* a lot !
* I'm Be So Wet - I Could Be Dry !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-oQI6hcIDY
-a-la- I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry !

- The same spots get congested every day.

David and "That's News" : day-after-Day-After-DAY !
Pick the Road Less Travelled on your journey down the
Freeway-of-Life {Love} on your Pink Elephant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgqKNM3zfU

- Now if a station decided to do real news I'd listen.

David -IF- You Listened You Just Might Hear Real News !

yes - i heard it on the 'free' over-the-air radio ~ RHF
Old December 17th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
- Who still does news?

Most AM & FM Radio Stations still "Do-the-News"
in some form or fashion.

Reading a few headlines from the AP is not "news". I can get that off
of the web more conveniently. Most newspapers have the same problem,
since they just reprint filler from the AP. There are so many ways
convenient to get AP content that another outlet provided no value to me.

I think what the poster meant by "news" is to have a local person who
knows everyone and has a feel for the spirit of the community running
around with a notebook[0] talking to people, checking facts, doing deep
analysis, and sending stories back to the station[1]. Blogs have a
change of filling this role, though, so there is hope yet.

(I'm under 30; people who aren't part of the Internet generation may
feel differently.)

-Luke

[0] And by "notebook", I mean the kind with dual cores and a
cellphone-based Internet connection. And room for a digital camera in
the laptop-bag.

[1] Some local TV news people sort-of do this, but they don't do all
that much fact-checking and I'd also have to plan my life around
watching TV at a particular time or rig up a DVR just for the purpose.
Being home from work in time to watch the 6 o'clock news seems like a
delightful anachronism, cars with tail-fins, and other stuff that was
all over before I was born...
Old December 17th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 17, 1:32 pm, Luke Scharf wrote:
RHF wrote:
[...]

Alas I am over 60 and not part of the Internet Generation.

Born back in the Day when Radio was "AM" only
-and- 'Content' was a matter of the Character
of a Person by which you judged them. ~ RHF
Old March 19th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sean Hannity's warning for music-oriented Radio - I was right, Eduardo!

Radio will die before that happens. The greedy owners want more, more, more,
more, more.. Even if they cut radio to the bare bone. They look at total
listening.. 95% and think nothing is wrong. For now radio is ok.

Old March 19th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sean Hannity's Warning for the Future of Music-Oiented Radio . . .

On Mar 19, 12:44*pm, "Scooter" wrote:
-
- Radio will die before that happens.
- The greedy owners want more, more, more, more, more..
- Even if they cut radio to the bare bone.
- They look at total listening.. 95% and think nothing is wrong.
- For now radio is ok.
-

Scooter,

"95%" for 'now' Ain't Bad -but- it does tapper-off as the AM/FM
Radio Listener gets younger; and that ain't 'good' for the Future
of "Free" Over-the-Air AM/FM Radio.

First Read - The Future of "Free" Over-the-Air AM/FM Radio
is Web-Based Inter-Active Participation by the Radio Listeners.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...20fde193bb394b
The Younger Generations of Audio Consumers are in-fact
Inter-Active Listeners and the Internet is there Tuning Knob.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...6eb2962abeafc3
An Inter-Active Website -coupled- to a AM/FM Radio :
Intergrates "The Ear of the Listeners" natuarally into
the Music Selection and Programming of the Radio
Station. - - - BRILLIANT !

* AM/FM Radio - Be It Analog -or- Be It Digital :
It Ain't About Technology It's About Content [.]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...056db1a2513844

* IBOC & WiFi : The "All Mode" AM/FM/DS/WF Radio
- Is It the Next Step in the Evolution of the Radio {Sound Box} ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...107d1e0f1536c0

* IBOC : Where Are My AM/FM Radio Listeners Going ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f99b232dd3d098

* A Revolution in Audio Content Delivery May Be in
the Making . . . The All Digital Mode AM/FM+DS Radio
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...5918c62cb6a3b7

* IBOC : The Present Day Media Corporations that Focus
Solely on Radio Broadcasting may be... Dinosaurs in the Making
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a3b1e0cc441354

* "HD" Radios ! - The Un-Qualified Comments by a
Simple Consumer of "Free" Over-the-Air AM & FM Radio
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...85aed02732ce3e

* IBOC : A Dynamic Change in the American Listening Audience :
The New-Generation of Audio Consumers versus Older Radio Listeners
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...175d57589ef4f7

* IBOC : Wishing That IBOC Will Fail : Ain't Going to Make IBOC Fail
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...52b979e2103313
Old March 20th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How much time do you devote to trying to convince people about HD Radio?

Not only in your all day postings...but now you have a blog?

Are you one of those who is unhappy you can't DX 1kw stations out of
tennessee anymore?

Otherwise, whats your point? If HD takes off....then it does.

If it doesn't....thats the end.

Whats the point in trying to convince people of something you have no
control over?

So, how much time did you waste on this post? Taking over for Eduardo
(where is that fake Hispanic, anyway). See, if you had a blog, all it
takes is one simple post:

HD Radio is a farce!

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

Old March 21st 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
IBOCcrock wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:37?am, "Doodle" wrote:
How much time do you devote to trying to convince people aboutHD Radio?

Not only in your all day postings...but now you have a blog?

Are you one of those who is unhappy you can't DX 1kw stations out of
tennessee anymore?

Otherwise, whats your point? ?If HD takes off....then it does.

If it doesn't....thats the end.

Whats the point in trying to convince people of something you have no
control over?

So, how much time did you waste on this post? Taking over for Eduardo
(where is that fake Hispanic, anyway). See, if you had a blog, all it
takes is one simple post:

HD Radiois a farce!

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

See RHF, if you had a blog, all it would take is one post!

But then he would not be able to fill up the news group with crap.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 22nd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Doodle" wrote:

See RHF, if you had a blog, all it would take is one post!

But then he would not be able to fill up the news group with crap.

Self-indulgent crap at it's best.

He's changing the hearts and minds of the American public as we speak,
doncha know....

The only people I hear who rail against IBOC are frustrated DX-ers.

I'm not a Dx'er but a program listener and I'm against IBOC.

IBOC is a stupid idea.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 23rd 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 5:46�am, RHF wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:27�pm, D Peter Maus wrote:

Doodle wrote:
See RHF, if you had a blog, all it would take is one post!
But then he would not be able to fill up the news group with crap.

Self-indulgent crap at it's best.

He's changing the hearts and minds of the American public as we speak,
doncha know....

The only people I hear who rail against IBOC are frustrated DX-ers.

-�And some not insignificant broadcast engineers.

DPM,

Now that is an important group of knowledgeable Radio
Professionals -but- How many $hares of their Corporate
Media $tock do they have and Vote at a $tock-Holders
Meeting to actually affect any Real Change at the
Corporated Level of these Mega Media Companies ?

The Quest for New Money {New Income Sources HD-2}
and Protecting Existing Capital Assets {Radio Stations}
of the Media Corporations is the "What" of IBOC Technology
andHD-Radio: Not Digital Technology or Improving the
Audio Product and Service to the Radio Listeners.

The Survival of "Free" Over-the-Air AM/FM Radio
is Dependant on the Blending of both;
Old Media AM/FM Radio Stations;
Coupled with New Media Inter-Active WebSiteshttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a725fb6d021ce8db

REALITY - Somewhere down-the-line the FCC will be Forced
by the Members of the US Congress -to-made- IBOCHD-Radio
the 'new' Digital Radio Broadcasting Standard; all in the name
of the Public Good toward a Digital Society.

THE TRUTH IS - �Members of the US Congress will Act
to Protect the Existing Capital Assets {Radio Stations}
of the Media Corporations and Force the FCC to make
IBOC the New Standard for All AM/FM Radios.

IBOCHD-Radio= Follow-the-Money = Politi�$

the truth is out there - riding on a radio wave ~ RHF
�.
- - - the digital divide : i draw the line @ iboc 'hd' radio- - -
�.
Google Search Results for :HD-Radiohttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HD-Radio
�.
Google News Results for :HD-Radiohttp://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=HD-Radio
�.
=PS= You Win-the-Day when you put : IBOC -or-HD Radio-or- iBiquity in the Subject-Line of your
Anti-IBOC-HD-Radio-iBiquity Posts :
* The People who want to Read-It can read it
-and- Like You
* The People who Do Not Want to Read-It can not read it
-and- They Will Not Dislike You.
TBL - That's Win+Win for You and Your Message.
�.

"Digital Audio Broadcasting Systems and Their Impact on the
Terrestrial Radio Broadcast Service"

15. We will not establish a deadline for radio stations to convert to
digital broadcasting. Stations may decide if, and when, they will
provide digital service to the public. Several reasons support this
decision. First, unlike television licensees, radio stations are under
no statutory mandate to convert to a digital format. Second, a hard
deadline is unnecessary given that DAB uses an in-band technology that
does not require the allocation of additional spectrum. Thus, the
spectrum reclamation needs that exist for DTV do not exist here.
Moreover, there is no evidence in the record that marketplace forces
cannot propel the DAB conversion forward, and effective markets tend
to provide better solutions than regulatory schemes.

16. iBiquity argues that in the early stages of the transition, the
Commission should favor and protect existing analog signals. It states
that this could be accomplished by limiting the power level and
bandwidth occupancy of the digital carriers in the hybrid mode. At
some point in the future, when the Commission determines there is
sufficient market penetration of digital receivers, iBiquity asserts
that the public interest will be best served by reversing this
presumption to favor digital operations. At that time, broadcasters
will no longer need to protect analog operations by limiting the
digital signal and stations should have the option to implement all-
digital broadcasts. We decline to adopt iBiquity's presumption policy
because it is too early in the DAB conversion process for us to
consider such a mechanism. We find that such a policy, if adopted now,
may have unknown and unintended consequences for a new technology that
has yet to be accepted by the public or widely adopted by the
broadcast industry.

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPA...-15/i15922.htm

Just like DAB in the UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany, HD Radio will
fail from lack of consumer interest.