Old February 10th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default EDUARDO - Chrysler to put WiMax into its cars

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..

The only car manufacturer I know of that is promoting HD radio is BMW.
have heard the BMW commercials on AM radio as my source but I don't
know
if it is an option or standard or any other details. Could be just
promotional BS. I'm not interested enough to follow up on it. I already
waisted my time on the Samsung site looking for vaporware.

My X5 has HD. Third generation and marvelous. Takes FMs in HD to and
beyond
the useful analog contour, and AMs on clean frequencies beyond the onset
of
noise on analog. During the storms two weeks ago, I could get KNX HD for
news well into Riverside County, while the analog signal was unlistenable
due to the lightening and atmospherics.

Snip

Was it an option or standard equipment?

Mine had it installed on the lot. Which is funny, as my dealer is a good 70
miles from the closest HD station.

I checked the BMW site. It's a $350 option.

How KOGO 600? Can you get that in HD?

I live in the Pasadena-Glendale area, and KOGO is a nosy catch at best
there. I am inland, and off the coastal plain area of good conductivity.

I was able to carry KFYI 550 to within 15 miles of Quartzite along the 10 in
full stereo HD several times.

So you can get 2 stations in HD then? That's not much for $350.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 9th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
The only car manufacturer I know of that is promoting HD radio is BMW. I
have heard the BMW commercials on AM radio as my source but I don't know
if it is an option or standard or any other details. Could be just
promotional BS. I'm not interested enough to follow up on it. I already
waisted my time on the Samsung site looking for vaporware.

My X5 has HD. Third generation and marvelous. Takes FMs in HD to and beyond
the useful analog contour, and AMs on clean frequencies beyond the onset of
noise on analog. During the storms two weeks ago, I could get KNX HD for
news well into Riverside County, while the analog signal was unlistenable
due to the lightening and atmospherics.

Samsung does not promote the HD chip to consumers. It has certainly spent a
lot of time with iBiquity and its shareholders, though.

That's all well and good, but unless Toyota makes it standard it ain't
gonna fly. And they won't and it won't, unless Ibiquity pays them big
bongos to do it, like the satcasters did.

Old February 9th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
David wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.
[...]

There is the very teensy problem of it actually EXISTING.

Yes it is a SMALL matter but important.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 9th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"David" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
[...]

Less than a third of radio listening is in the car. Less than 20% of all
cars are Toyotas... and the average US car is 8 years old. Automotive is
part of it, but clock radios, office radios, kitchen radios, portables, etc.
are where most listening takes place.

Old February 10th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 9, 6:53�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"David" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
[...]

are where most listening takes place.- Hide quoted text -

Less than a third of radio listening is in the car.

"On Radio: Car audio has quite a past and future"

"The percentage is even higher for certain times of the day such as
6-10 a.m. weekdays (37 percent, just behind home listening) and 3-7
p.m. weekdays (more than 44 percent)."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/325...diobeat26.html

Are you really in the broadcast business?

Old February 10th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"David" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
[...]

Why would someone listen to hideous over the air commercial radio at
home if they have broadband and access to thousands of few or none
commercials stations?

The reason CC doesn't put their stuff on Shoutcast is that they'd rather
not call attention to the competition.
Old February 9th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:10:58 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The only car manufacturer I know of that is promoting HD radio is BMW. I
have heard the BMW commercials on AM radio as my source but I don't know
if it is an option or standard or any other details. Could be just
promotional BS. I'm not interested enough to follow up on it. I already
waisted my time on the Samsung site looking for vaporware.

My X5 has HD. Third generation and marvelous. Takes FMs in HD to and beyond
the useful analog contour, and AMs on clean frequencies beyond the onset of
noise on analog. During the storms two weeks ago, I could get KNX HD for
news well into Riverside County, while the analog signal was unlistenable
due to the lightening and atmospherics.

Samsung does not promote the HD chip to consumers. It has certainly spent a
lot of time with iBiquity and its shareholders, though.

And if memory serves, KNX also dropped the amount of power to their AM
broadcasts when they started using the HD format.
Old February 9th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

[...]

Nope.Check the FCC webpage and find the KNX license It is still 50 kw.

Old February 10th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:55:41 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Snip
And if memory serves, KNX also dropped the amount of power to their AM
broadcasts when they started using the HD format.

Nope.Check the FCC webpage and find the KNX license It is still 50 kw.

I fired the last salvo too soon, was thinking of 790 KABC which has
become a bit problematic in terms of reception. Noticable in the car,
not at home, and several friends have made the same comment. Damn I
hate getting old......or is that forgetfull.......oh hell.
Old February 9th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 9, 4:10�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

The only car manufacturer I know of that is promoting HD radio is BMW. I
have heard the BMW commercials on AM radio as my source but I don't know
if it is an option or standard or any other details. Could be just
promotional BS. I'm not interested enough to follow up on it. I already
waisted my time on the Samsung site looking for vaporware.

My X5 has HD. Third generation and marvelous. Takes FMs in HD to and beyond
the useful analog contour, and AMs on clean frequencies beyond the onset of
noise on analog. During the storms two weeks ago, I could get KNX HD for
news well into Riverside County, while the analog signal was unlistenable
due to the lightening and atmospherics.

Samsung does not promote the HD chip to consumers. It has certainly spent a
lot of time with iBiquity and its shareholders, though.

"Renowned Cambridge SoundWorks HD Radio Designer Explains HD Radio"

"HD Radio broadcasts require a consistent, stronger signal than analog
broadcasts... Below the minimum required signal le vel, the HD Radio
program switches back to the analog signal... There is a limit to how
far you can be from a transmitter and still receive an HD Radio
transmission. For flat land with no obstructions, this limit could be
as far away as 20-25 miles. For hilly terrain, the limit may drop to
10-15 miles. For the strongest signal within 20 miles of a radio
transmitter, the user should position the provided 30 inch dipole
antenna either horizontally or vertically along a wall or window."

http://www.hdradio.com/the_buzz.php?thebuzz=87

"Questions About High Definition HD Radio"

Q: Why do I get drop-outs or silences on the HD2 Services?

A: This is a sign of marginal signal strength at your radio. It is
important to remember that the HD Radio multicast channels (HD2, HD3,
etc), unlike the HD1 channel, do not have an analog signal for the
radio to 'fall-back to' when digital reception is lost. So a listener
with marginal reception that is losing the digital signal will
experience periods of silence until the signal is regained.

http://www.wpr.org/hd/hd_faq.cfm