Old March 8th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Clipperton Island

On Mar 8, 7:06*am, dxAce wrote:
"J." wrote:
WOW! *It's 0920z and no on-air activity yet. *Also no update to the website
either. *That's interesting. *Hope everything is OK and will be up soon.

I just heard through the grapevine that they've apparently some bad weather
there.

Solid copy on some CW on 7.007 in Cincinnati,Oh.
FWIW- near blizzard conditions here in the Nati'
Old March 8th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

"J." wrote:

WOW! It's 0920z and no on-air activity yet. Also no update to the website
either. That's interesting. Hope everything is OK and will be up soon.

I just heard through the grapevine that they've apparently some bad weather
there.

Still no update from the island, and no spots other than the few obvious hoaxes.

Hope nothing has gone terribly awry.

http://www.clipperton2008.org/dxpedi...dxpedition.htm

Old March 8th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Clipperton Island Update

8 March

"Turns out it was very much yesterday today than it was the day before. The clouds
that were present at dawn disappeared by 7am allowing for the full force of the
south pacific sun to express itself. By 10:30am, it was 110 degrees at our base
camp and hotter at the CW station. The heat has compounded our work load and Arnie,
N6HC had his hands full dealing with sunburns and mandatory work and water breaks
every 30 minutes to ensure each team member's safety. By 1pm the heat was so
intense our work pace drew to a crawl. With safety being our main concern, we cut
back our work loads until it was bearable later in the day to resume. By mid
afternoon, some cloud appeared and we were able to continue erecting our antennas
and complete our operating stations. Both the cw and ssb camp are very near
completion. the few antennas remaining to be erected at daybreak.

We are approximately 24 hours behind our intended schedule, but believe now that the
majority of the work is behind us with the remaining antenna erection to be
completed at daybreak while temperatures are bearable. We anticipate being on the
air with both CW and SSB stations by midday.

At 1800z, we're very close to coming on the air."

http://www.clipperton2008.org/dxpedi...dxpedition.htm

Old March 8th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just received an email from Jeff, F6AOJ. Here is what he has to say:

Hi Steve,

1 hour ago , i received a sat phone call from my old friend Mic FM5CD a
member of the TX5C team.

Around mid day , they had a big tropical storm,
several antennas ready to run shut down,
the camp has been saved from a fly to ocean ( due to high wind )
now they have to recover from damage.
They expect to start with a part of equipement 3 or 3 stations only
around EU sunrise 0500z

The temperature on the isl is very high average 43°c !
some members get sun burns
and some others have difficulties with temperature.

73

Jeff F6AOJ

Old March 9th 08, 09:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

"J." wrote:

WOW! It's 0920z and no on-air activity yet. Also no update to the
website
either. That's interesting. Hope everything is OK and will be up soon.

I just heard through the grapevine that they've apparently some bad
weather
there.

Yea. 110 degrees by 10am and no place to hide from it.

J.

Dentron Clipperton Qro Barry[_2_] CB 7 June 3rd 07 10:25 PM
Help/Dentron Clipperton QRO Charlie Hugg Boatanchors 0 November 1st 06 03:47 PM
Help/Dentron Clipperton QRO Charlie Hugg Swap 0 November 1st 06 03:46 PM
Help Need on Dentron QRO Clipperton Amp Charlie Hugg Equipment 0 October 31st 06 06:52 AM
FS DENTRON CLIPPERTON L HF AMP WA3MOJ CB 1 May 4th 04 11:09 PM