Old April 22nd 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default This Grundig a good "beginner radio"?

As you know I have been looking for a good "starter" SW radio and have
no luck with my first choice, the Kaito K11. Due to school, I don't
have the time to devote to research as I would like, but I am doing
some. I have found one radio that appeals to me and would like your
opinions on it. Even though I know it is not the smallest radio, I
could take it with me in the car. I like to go to parks and places to
study and I thought this might be a good choice.

The radio that I am talking about is the Grundig S359DL

(http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6265)

I plan on checking online for reviews, but I thought someone here
might have some knowledge of this I appreciate any comments you may
have, good or bad.

Thanks!
Haci
Old April 22nd 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hacienda de Ville wrote:
The radio that I am talking about is the Grundig S359DL

(http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6265)

The link points to the S350DL, not the S359DL, so I'll assume
it's a typo.

Universal radio has them for $99 in a choice of colors.

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/portable/0043.html

They are real good guys, you might want to call them and
ask what they think.

Geoff.
Old April 23rd 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own the black one just like in the picture and have been very satisfied
with it. I dont think it can be beat for the price. Of course there are many
people who will disgree with me. It does not have SSB though. But overall,
it's very nice.

Could you explain the what exactly SSB is and what can be heard or
done with it?

Also, what is "DXing" and how popular is that?

Thanks,
Haci
Old April 23rd 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 23, 11:01*am, Igor wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:42:05 -0400, Hacienda de Ville wrote:
As you know I have been looking for a good "starter" SW radio and have
no luck with my first choice, the Kaito K11. Due to school, I don't
have the time to devote to research as I would like, but I am doing
some. I have found one radio that appeals to me and would like your
opinions on it. Even though I know it is not the smallest radio, I
could take it with me in the car. I like to go to parks and places to
study and I thought this might be a good choice.

The radio that I am talking about is the Grundig S359DL

(http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6265)

I plan on checking online for reviews, but I thought someone here
might have some knowledge of this I appreciate any comments you may
have, good or bad.

I bought an earlier version of the S350, but had to return it because of
the drift (it's an analog radio with a digital readout). If it hadn't been
for that, it would've been a decent inexpensive radio. Supposedly the drift
problem has been minimized in the newer "DL" version, though I've read of
problems with the mechanism they use to lock the frequency (look through
the negative reviews on amazon.com).

In that price range, you should also check out the Kaito KA1103 and Kaito
KA2100. I haven't had any personal experience with these, but have read a
lot of good things about them.
--
Men Are Better Than Women -http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/- Hide quoted text -

HdV - Given the 'choice' of the Grundig 350 DL
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112
and the Redsun RP2100 Radios : I would pick
the Redsun RP2100 Radio. ~ RHF
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6055
http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140138823638
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140138733367

-aka- CC Radio SW
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...cradio-sw.aspx

-aka- Kaito KA2100
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA2100.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/2100.html
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6430

KA2100 AM FM SHORTWAVE RADIO and SSB Adapter
http://www.radios4you.com/kaito-ka2100-LG-photo.html

Old April 24th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT), RHF
wrote:

On Apr 23, 11:01*am, Igor wrote:
[...]

.

Wow, thanks for all the info!

Haci
Old April 24th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:40:21 -0400, "Jim Driscoll"
wrote:

Like many others, I would recommend the Kaito KA 2100 if you like the S350
sound. Tuning is rock stable and performance is quite surprising for the
price.

The Kaito 2100 or Redsun 2100?

Also, I forgot to ask this. In additon to SW and SSB listening, I
really would like to have a radio that can pull in distant AM stations
if that is possible. I don't want to offend anyone, but I like radio
talk show host, Michael Savage and our city dropped him in favor of
Michael Levine. As I tune around AM with my cheapy pocket radio, I can
faintly hear Savage, so I imagine a radio that can pull in far-away AM
stations might make hearing him easier.

With that in mind, does that change anyone's recommendation? I have
figured I can afford up to about $150 or so for the radio. Again, I
would like for it to be able to be carried around in the car without
having a "dolly" to move it.

Thanks, everyone, for your continued comments/suggestions.

Haci
Old April 24th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

C. Crane Radio has always been knwon for their long range AM recpetion.

http://www.ccrane.com/

Check That URL amd you'll see their product line. The one called
"CCRadio-SW" looks exactly like the Kaito/Redsun 2100, but is tagged under
the C Crane name. It should have their trademark long range AM. If I had not
already purchased my Kaito, I would have went for the C Crane. I would bet
it's a real winner all the way around. If you do check it out, or buy one,
be sure and let us know how you like it.

BTW, I dont think you will offend anyone by your taste in who or what you
listen to on the radio.
That's the whole idea isn't it?

Old April 24th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default PING : John Plimmer - What's Your Current Opinion on the RedsunRP2100 Radio for AM/MW DXing

-
[...]

HdV - Ask John Plimmer about the Redsun RP2100 and
AM/MW DXing. His is an 'opinion' that you can value.
* About - John Plimmer, South Africa
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d8b5f98b636230
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...7a74a3bce19fda

FWIW - The 'original' Radio was the Chinese 'Redsun'
made Redsun RP2100 Radio. Everything else is a
Re-Badged {Re-Named} CCRadio, Kaito etc : Which
are all made in the same Chinese Factory.
http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm

IMHO the Redsun RP2100 Radio is "Right Sized" and
has a very nice and functional Metal Carrying Handle.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1134/...99e038e8_o.jpg

Point-of-Fact - Many/Most AM/MW Dxers do very well with :
AM/MW Radio + AM/MW Loop Antenna & Lazy Susan

Your AM/MW Radio plus AM/MW Loop Antenna
- Three Ways to Use Them Together
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...fb9c2d38f1c53a

Two Popular AM/MW Loop Antennas :
Select-A-Tenna -versus- Terk AM Advantage
http://www.radiointel.com/review-2loop.htm
-written by- Jay Allen -hosted by- RadioIntel.Com

Your Am/MW Radio + Select-A-Tenna & Lazy Susan
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...1044517569c38b

AM/MW DXing with the GE Superadio III or the Grundig S350
/ Tecsun BCL-2000 Radios -add- Redsun RP2100 Radio too
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...9d216f62a0a6dd

The CCRadio-SW {-aka- Redsun RP2100 and Kaito KA 2100
Radios} is an Excellent Stand-a-Lone AM/FM/SW Radio
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...fd435f62a2dc99

Consider these AM/MW Antenna choices for better
AM Medium Wave Radio Reception
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...30fc6a512330be

hope this helps ~ RHF