Old May 3rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default CCRANE RADIO QUALITY

About the CCRANE Radio quality discussion here...
I have been an active Radio enthusiast for many years, beginning about
1980. I purchased items from CCRANE when I was a younger, smaller
company, when Bob Crane was actively running
the company. In fact, I spoke to Bob several times over the phone. He
was a true radio enthusiast. In fact, I had a hand in
Bob's decision to engineer and design a killer AM\FM\TV\WX radio.
The main goal was a high quality AM radio geared for people who
listen mainly to talk and sports radio.

The first result was the rather ugly looking CCRANE RADIO. Bob made
one mistake, a big one I think. He had Sangean radio of
Taiwan make the CCRANE. Bob was the top reseller of Sangean
radios in American. He made several trips to the offices and
plant in Taiwan and he seemed quite taken by Sangean. I do
not know why. He was a radio expert and he had excellent
engineers working with him. He had to know the serious down
sides of Sangean, which remain today.

I can say this. CCRANE is not the company it was under Bob
CCRANE. I miss him and our periodic conversations. I have
had NO conversations with whomever took over CCRANE
and stopped buying from CCRANE shortly after Bob was gone.
It did not take long for the company to fall into hype and
slick salesmanship. It is my opinion that CCRANE today does
something the founder never did, namely like off the name.

To Bob's credit Sangean offer a high quality product. The huge
downside is Sangean practices post 1950s American planned
(engineered) internal product self-destruction. I owned all their
flagship SW radios of the 90s. NOT ONE lasted longer than
a couple years. I bought three units of the 808ATS and gave them away
as gifts to some business associates. All three
were dead within three years, within the same month. The
cause was exactly the same. A built-in mother board weakness
cut off audio. Everything worked. Just no audio output!

The CCRANE Radio and CCRANE PLUS are Sangean made.
They self-destruct within about 4 years. Same problems in
them all, the led display fails so you cannot read frequencies.
I have two I keep working by dedicating them. Each one
remains permanently on a particular AM and a particular FM
frequency. The buttons on top self-destruct, which kills
some functions totally.

I bought the classics, Grundig 700 and Sony 2010 about when
I bought the first CCRANE RADIOs. I sold them this year, after
many years of use for twice what I paid for them. All of my
Sangeans are long dead and trashed. I had 6 flagship Sangeans. All
were useless within three to four years.

People try to buy my small Grundigs from me, YB400, YB305, etc. When
Radio Shack was still a great name in radio and other electrnic items,
Tandy and Realistic engineers dictated
specs to companies that made their radios for them, which is
was old Radio Shack, Realistic, and Tandy items are in
demand today. If you want a good Sangean, buy a used
one with one of the Radio Shack brands on them. Radio
Shack did not tolerate Sangean planned self-destruction
nonsense in radios with a Radio Shack Brand on it.

The two newer CCRANE shortwave radios, the CCRANE
Pocket SW Radio ($49) and the CCRANE Shortwave Radio
($149) are not Sangean. They are respectively the Redsun
RP2100 & the Redsun RP300, both excellent buys directly
from China. The main seller on eBay (with 100% positive
Feedback) charges $29 for the RP300 and $59 for the
RP2100. Universal Radio also sells the Redsun 2100
rebranded by Kaito as the Kaito KA2100 for $99.

CCRANE hypes its radios and it over prices them. The
2100 is an excellent portable shortwave radio, especially for a mere
$99. Universal is also a much better company than
CCRANE. Universal is a straight shooter. The family that owns and runs
Universal has not gone over to the dark side of
business. At CCRANE, you get salesmen and all that brings.
You will even get order takers who are very ignorant and
rude. At Universal you can still get polite people who know
their products.

--Bruised
Old May 3rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I bought an ATS 800 that is still working great (although after reading this
post I should be knocking on wood). An old German gentleman who owns
Columbus Radio and restores old radios in my town offered one for sale quite
a few years ago, and I don't ever regret buying it. It's very simple and
limited to what it can do, but the AM reception is very good.

Old May 3rd 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

- No problems with C Crane,

bought a Sangean 606A from them about ten years ago

sent it back for the sensitivity mod;- and later for a new antenna.

I have Never had any problems with CCrane whatsoever

BarnegeDX

Old May 3rd 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default What About C.Crane Company Radio Quality - Who Makes Them ?

On May 3, 6:53*am, wrote:
[...]

JONY,

What About C.Crane Company Radio Quality - Who Makes Them ?

On the other hand C.Crane Co. is about the 'only' Company
on the Radio that Promotes Radios and the Concept of Radio
Listening to -you-got-it- Radio Listeners (BCL's) ~ RHF

The C.Crane Company does have a 30 Day "Return Policy"
http://www.ccrane.com/policies.aspx#satisfaction
plus "Warranty Information" and "Satisfaction Guarantee"

PLUS - The Full Manufacturer’s Warranty
http://www.ccrane.com/help.aspx#warranty

CHECK-OUT - The C. Crane Product Support
http://www.ccrane.com/faqs/index.aspx

NOTE - C.Crane Company does not make any of their Radios
http://www.ccrane.com/

Most have been make by Sangean of Taiwan in Taiwan (ROC)
CCRadio and CCRadio Plus+ -aka- Roberts R983 Radio [UK]
Sangean PR-D3 -aka- CCRadio
http://www.sangean.eu/English/index....=PR-D3&opt5=51
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...lus/index.aspx
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...berts-r983.asp

The newer CCRadio-SW Radio is made by Redsun in China (PRC)
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...cradio-sw.aspx
along with the CCRadio-SW-Pocket Radio

* Redsun RP2100 Radio -aka- CCRadio-SW Radio
http://www.redsunelect.com/english/P...p?ArticleID=14
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...cradio-sw.aspx

* Redsun RP300 Radio -aka- CCRadio-SW-Pocket Radio
http://www.redsunelect.com/english/P...p?ArticleID=18
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...radio-swp.aspx
Old May 3rd 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Those AM/FM/TV/WX CCrane radios.I bought a new one from CCrane about ten
something years ago.I tried it out for one week.I guess I believed all
of that hype Art Bell and George Noory was touting about that radio, and
I guess I believed that article about that radio I read in Popular
Science magazine too.I was hopeing that radio would be a super dooper
radio for DXing long distance AM stations, brother,,, that dog didn't
hunt at all, it was no better than my other old cheap radios.That radio
I bought from CCrane did not impress me at all, I sent it back to
CCrane.

Then I bought a new Sangean ATS 909 AM/FM/Shortwave radio (I think that
is what it is called) from CCrane.I tried that one out for one week.I
was not impressed at all, I sent that radio back to CCrane too.Tell Bob
Crane to look up when I bought those radios and when I sent them back.Oh
sure, only looking at the outside of those two radios I bought from Bob
Crane, the build quality seemed to be there, as far as plastic cabinet
radios is concerned, but it's what's inside that counts.

One time when I was listening to Bo Gritz on one of my cheap Goodwill
store AM/FM/Shortwave General Electric radios, I heard an elderly guy
say he bought one of those CCrane ATS 909 AM/FM/Shortwave radios.The
elderly guy said as soon as he saw that radio has a plastic cabinet, he
boxed it back up right away and he sent it back to CCrane.He said he
thinks that radio would melt in the hot sun laying up on the dashboard
of his car.When better radios are built, who will build them?
cuhulin
And Bob Crane is a good old guy!

Old May 3rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I purchased the original CCRadio nearly ten years ago and it has NEVER
had a problem. It's still the main radio I use at home. For distant
reception, it beats my GE Superadio III, Panasonic 2200, Satellit 800,
and even the new CCRadio-SW which I've had almost a year now. But it
barely beats the CCRadio-SW.

I've never had a problem with anything I have purchased from them. I
have found their products to be just fine.
Old May 4th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Bruised,

Your post is factually incorrect. Bob Crane never left C.Crane. He
is still very much in charge and running things from day to day. I
can tell you from personal experience that C.Crane works very, very
hard to provide the best products possible to its customers and has
excellent customer service. I've been to the office and warehouse in
Fortuna and met most of the staff. They are one fine bunch of people
who really love radio (and other products) and work hard to bring the
best possible products to it's more than one million customers.

D.V.

Old May 4th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On May 3, 9:53 pm, wrote:

[...]

--Bruised- Hide quoted text -

Alas "Jony" is a One Post Wonder* ? ~ RHF
* That is using Gmail and Goodge Groups.
Old May 5th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a little AM shirt pocket size transister radio (it runs on one
nine volt battery) that was made in Phillipines. (it says so on the back
of the radio) I bought it for one dollar at the Goodwill store a few
years ago.That little radio will pick up more AM stations than any radio
Bob Crane has ever listened to before.
cuhulin

Old May 5th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Crane's Sangean radios certainly didn't impress me at all.Those
radios are over hyped and over priced.Any serious radio listerner would
do well to forget those radios.
cuhulin