Old May 6th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Anybody Using Retro Radios?

Hammarlund HQ-150 (still love that Q-Multiplier)
Collins R-388 (same as 51J-3)
Hallicrafters SX-28 w/ matching speaker (what a sound!)

--
Brian Denley

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Count Floyd wrote:
I constantly see everyone wanting the "newest" radio, but does anyone use
old, retro equipment in their shack?
I am using nothing but, and the interest has come back to my listening
pleasure. I am using my old Layfayette HE-10, S-38 and the old trusty
RF-2200. It is amazing, I have already gotten 15 states with the
HE-10/S-38 combo, and am finding more shortwave with the Panasonic.

Hallicrafters S-53A,
National NC-88,
Hammarlund BC-794 SuperPro,'
Zenith T/O 3000-1,
Zenith T/O R7000,
Zenith T/O Y600,
Masterwork 2896,
Grundig 960 (the real one),
Grundig 650 Professional.

As a start.

Old May 6th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

bdenley wrote:

Collins R-388 (same as 51J-3)

I am about to begin trouble shooting my R-388; the crystal
filter phasing control seems to only attenuate rather
than notch, at two opposing points on its dial -- does
yours actually notch? Also, the AVC seems to be
inoperative, but I have read that some folks have
found the AVC to be ineffective even when the circuit
is functional. How is your AVC?

Lastly, the 3.5 - 4.5 Mc band has recently developed
regeneration when the Ant. Trimmer is peaked, with
or without an antenna, if the R.F. gain is set too
high; ever see that?

Michael
Old May 6th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael:
No my R-388 works very well (other than the hand cramps from twisting that
band change knob, something Peter Maus warned me about!). The xtal phasing
does notch in two places. You might try looking at the output of the filter
strip to see how that notch forms and tweak the phasing alignment while
watching. The AVC works well, something I can't say for my SX-28 (I need to
fix that one day), antenna trim also has no issues.

--
Brian Denley