Old June 21st 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DXing, Radios, Antennas, Etc. Let's Get Back on Topic.

RHF wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:22 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
Bob, (count floyd) wrote
C'mon guys, lets use this forum to discuss radio listening and dxing
of either BCB or SW, and keep the spam talk out or by direct email.
Follow the example of John Plimmer, his posts are always radio
related
and very interesting, they are about the only ones I read on this
group anymore. The petty bickering needs to stop and get back on
topic.
Well said Bob, I too become perturbed by the increasing number of off
topic trash that now overwhelms this news group. When I first
subscribed many years ago it was full of on topic interesting radio
stuff.
As for radio, I have been DXing for 42 years and never a dull moment.
When propagation is bad and you are thinking of chucking it in,
something always comes up and reinvigorates your interest with a great
DX catch. It's true that HF SW propagation has been very bad in recent
years with the current very low sunspot number, but as sure as God
made little apples, it will come back again in full force in coming
years. So if HF is bad now, then try the MW AM band or the many
interesting things to do on LF, Although I am aware that many of you
do not have LF band on your radio's.
SNIP
The day time SW bands are weaker and poor much of the time but sunset to
sunrise the lower SW bands are very good consistently up to 41 meters.
31 meters is hit or miss from crummy to very good but is very good most
of the time. This has been the best surprise band for years now and it
pays to check this band most anytime day or night.
25, 22, and 19 meters have been generally weaker and the best times for
them are late afternoon to a couple of hours after sunset. Same thing
mornings where these bands generally pickup again a couple hours before
sunrise into early morning. These middle bands have been poor for me
most of the time middle mornings to the middle of the afternoon.
During the daytime 16 meters has been the best band where 19 meters is
hit or miss but poor a lot of the time. 19 meters is generally better
late afternoon and early mornings.
15 meters is almost always weak and this band generally does not have
much broadcast on it anyway.
13 meters has been really poor all the time and I rarely even look at
it. Only two pages of broadcasters on it to begin with in Passport.
There could be openings but with so few broadcasters on this band who
would know.
I can't think of the last time I even looked at 11 meters with zero
broadcasters listed on it in Passport.
The upshot is there is plenty going on in SW much of the time.
AMBCB has been very good but in the northern hemisphere the current
season has shorter nigh time listening hours this being summer.
The main problem with AMBCB has been the damned IBOC crapola and of
course the damned DRM crap on the lower SW bands nights is now crapping
up the currently best listening of the SW reception bands.
I can't find "meters" anywhere on my Drake. Can you translate that into
megacycles?

You mean you didn't get the Drake meter option? What a fool.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Actually some Shortwave Radios display both the
Frequency in kHz / MHz and the SW Meter Bands.

Grundig Satellit 800-M Radio hearing RNZI on 7145 kHz
and the radio reads SW 49 Meter @ 07:12 UTC

Eton E1 Radio hearing Female Spanish Numbers Station
on 5884 kHz and the radio reads SW 49 M @ 07:01 UTC
.
RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
SHACK INFO =http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm
Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
.

It's a useless anachronism that requires you to do an extra step; it
just puts-off people and IMHO makes the hobby less appealing to
potential newbies.
Old June 21st 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 21, 6:19*am, dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:22 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,

Old June 21st 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SWL-2010 wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
RHF wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:22 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

I have to disagree. Meter Bands have always been a basic essential in
discussing Shortwave Listening. Now, as an individual if you have a problem
with that, that's no problem, but saying is "a useless anachronism that
requires you to do an extra step" is absurd. Meter bands are actually there
to make the hobby easier. If someone says to me: "I was DXing 19 Meters" I
know where he was at on the dial, what time he was DXing, and pretty much
what big guns were on while he was DXing. I don't understand your
frustration with something so rudimentary to such a simple hobby. Shortwave
listening is not as complex as some people make it out to be, and certainly
mentioning a Meter Band is as fundamental to the hobby as gluing part A to
part B in basic model building. Of course, this is only my opinion, and I
say this to keep you from telling me how I am somehow obstructing your right
to free speech, denying your liberty or somehow imprisoning you.

You're right. It's fun doing division in your head every time you want
to understand a simple sentence. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old June 21st 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:
SWL-2010 wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
RHF wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:22 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

Nobody does.
Old June 21st 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SWL-2010 wrote:

If you listen to shortwave long enough you don't have to do division.

I've been listening long enough to know that broadcasters themselves are
moving away from "meterband" type gewgaw.

Old June 22nd 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

SWL-2010 wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
RHF wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:22 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

You can't look at a chart? You need to get a different hobby where you
can just be a bump on a log.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

SWL-2010 wrote:

If you listen to shortwave long enough you don't have to do division.

I've been listening long enough to know that broadcasters themselves are
moving away from "meterband" type gewgaw.

You should move away from the hobby.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 22nd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 21, 11:43*am, D Peter Maus wrote:
Dave wrote:
SWL-2010 wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
om...
RHF wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:22 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,

Old June 22nd 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL Newbies : Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands andWaveLengths in Meters

On Jun 21, 3:31*pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

SWL-2010 wrote:

If you listen to shortwave long enough you don't have to do division.

I've been listening long enough to know that broadcasters themselves are
moving away from "meterband" type gewgaw.

Well, to be blunt and to make sure I exercise my right to free speech and
expression, I think anyone who listens to shortwave that doesn't "get"
something as simple as a meterband is actually pretty damned stupid. *I've
never heard anyone protest something so intrinsic to the hobby. *You can
have the last word. I have a feeling you will continue to press your
meaningless point until you do get the last word.

- [A shortwave listener who doesn't understand
- what a meterband is, now I've heard it all].

For the Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Newbies,

Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands
and WaveLengths in Meters {Metres}
* Hertz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz
* kHz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo_Hertz_%28KHz%29

The basic 'relative' concept of Frequency, Radio Waves
and Wave Length as a function of each other. Goes to
the Core-of-Understanding the Radio (RF) Bands and
being a Shortwave Band Radio Listener (SWL).
* Radio Frequency - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
* Radio Waves - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
* WaveLength - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength
* Shortwave Bands - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_bands
* Meters - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meters {Metres}

For Those Who Want To Do-the-Math here is a simple
to use "Frequency to Wavelength (WL) Calculator"
http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html
Plus Shortwave (SW) Meter Band to Frequency Range Table

About - Shortwave Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

About - High Frequency (HF) Radio Frequencies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_frequency

About - Medium Frequency (MF) Radio Fequencies (RF)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_frequency
-aka- Medium Wave (MW) Radio Band -or- the AM
Radio Broadcast Band (BCB)
* Medium Wave or MediumWave (MW)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_wave
* AM Broadcasting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcast

one reader at a time - building basic understanding of the
shortwave radio listening hobby - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old June 22nd 08, 09:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 21, 9:13*pm, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:23 pm, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:

- {CraZy ****}

- Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional.

Dave - "Inversely Proportional" -is- Sort-of-Like :

The Lower the Frequency : The Longer the WaveLength
[ Low Frequency (LF) ~ Long Waves (LW) ]

The Higher the Frequency : The Shorter the WaveLength
[ High Frequency (HF) ~ Short Waves (SW) Shortwave ]

Dave you don't have to sign-it "CraZy ****"

we all know your name ;-} ~ RHF
*.

- Back on Google are we?